View Poll Results: Do you ride with music in your helmet?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I listen to music whilst riding

47 24.74%
  • NO, but I would if I had the ability to

27 14.21%
  • NO, I'd rather listen to the bike

61 32.11%
  • NO - I think this is a dangerous habit

55 28.95%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music in your helmet?

Bike

Music in your helmet?

Well....I've been a good boy and searched, but the closest I have found is a thread about stereo's on bikes.

So.... Do you have music in your helmet whilst riding? Do you want it but have not the means? Would you rather listen to your pipe(s)?

Bike
    nun

Thumbs up

have an i=pod and have read lots of stuff on here about how/what others use too.

Its quite common to see other bikers with i-pods/players; The problem i find is getting the bastard ear plugs to fit snug so i can here over my bloody exhaust

:slap:

Bike
    Bikes!
    Naw... I put it up to the volume I used on the bike one day at home. It was bloody loud, loud enough to root my hearing quick smart. Not recommended, they still can't rebuild the little hairs into your ear yet

Bike
    When I work out how to add another option.... I will add my own case, which is that I prefer to listen to the bike BUT I have speakers built into my helmet for the purposes of radar detector announcements.

Bike
    TF125
    I was born with complete deafness in one ear. The one that works is on the pipe side. I would dearly love to losten to music whilst riding but can only hear the very bottom of the spectrum at 100k. My pipe has been called noisy by others, but I wouldn't change it either.

Bike
    Various things
    Each to their own....but I think it's too easy to get carried away listening to music, and end up in a ditch.
    Or worse.
    Riding motorcycles requires 100% concentration.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Imdying is dead right (unfortunate pun that) - BUT - if you spend up big you can get noise cancelling in-ear speakers, but I'm not so sure about spending $700 - $2000 for headphones that might get damaged or lost in an accident.

Remember, quiet helmets usually rate at about 90dB at 100km/hr. Loud enough to need earplugs if you want to keep your hearing forever. You have to overwhelm 90dB of essentially white noise to hear the music well enough to enjoy it. You'd be well into rock concert/jet aircraft levels and you'd be doing it for sustained periods. Hearing loss is insidious and you usually don't notice it until you can't follow conversations with people right next to you at a social function with more than 10 people. Too late. Upper register will be gone by then. Vivaldi and Eddie Van Halen's best work wiped out forever.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

I'm with them too - the sound level for use in the car (huh,diesel 4x4 and van) is just a tad high for normal use,it'd be much higher for a bike.I'd only use a music player on highway stretches....but I don't do that.

Bike
    Aprilia Falco, K100 Project
    Blog Entries
    I like to listen to the sound of the v twin coming out of the Carbon cans.
    Plus I do wear ear plugs on any ride over 20 minutes because I do want to be able to retain what hearing I have left for as long as I can.
    I enjoy my music & play guitar myself & I have decided that motorcycling & music are best enjoyed one at a time.
    Bike rallies are the best of both worlds.
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Please heed my advice, once it's gone (your hearing) you're totally screwed.

Oh yeah, and by a twin with open pipes All the music you'll ever need

Bike
    '06 Honda Fartblood
    Hearing be damned, it's distracting!
    I tried it once and found I was zoning out to the music and not really paying enough attention to what was going on around me. Ran wide on a corner because I'd lost my concentration and decided not to do it again.
    Might work for others; not me.
    Keep it rubber-side down...

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5

Cool

Each to their own. "Roxanne" is not too loud, and I find that the right music helps me relax and get in the "mood". For me this has improved my corning. I do have ta watch which music I play in the helmet. Feuer Frei (Rammstein) is bad news in the straights or cop heavy areas (makes it hard to hear my radar detector) but bloody awesome in the twisties
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    Kwakasaurus Z750s '05
    I chose to ignore others advice when I was doing my OE about 7-8 years ago. Spent too many nights in loud clubs, concerts, parties etc. Now I frequently find myself sitting in the pub with a group of friends staring into my beer because I can't separate their voices from the background noise. Trust me, it sucks. And trying to converse with strangers is just embarassing.

Music on a bike is loud enough to do permanent damage.

I liken the car experience to watching TV, you've got the screen, the comfy seat, the soundtrack (stereo). Your not engaged. I prefer to leave that behind when on the bike.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    I just use an I-Micron.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    i just sing - that way I get to hear the wonderful melodic sound of my extremely tuneful voice - and no one else has to put up with the fact that I can't sing in tune! Something about the way a helmet distorts one's own voice so that it sounds great - sort of like karaoke really....
    Seriously tho, do protect your hearing on the bike - half an hour's riding at open road speeds causes irreparable damage, so says the audiologist.
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Thread Information