Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    LC4 SM
    Quote Originally Posted by JustNick View Post
    The 70kph rule was dropped as of October last year. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/about/media/...1405/news.html
    Thanks Nick.

Bike
    2008 keeway :(
    Sat my restricted on Monday here in Christchurch at the Papanui library.

The test went for half an hour even though when i booked it originally it said it would be for a hour long but not complaining!!

There was mostly back streets used, a u-turn in a 50km/h zone (down the end of a small resedential street), some round abouts, uncontrolled intersections, speed bumps, hazzard identification on 2 intesections, then we went into a 80km/h zone where i had to pull out into traffic from a stop and another u-turn. To me it seemed like the exact same route as i took for my full car licence.

Bike
    Suzuki GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsollie View Post
    Sat my restricted on Monday here in Christchurch at the Papanui library.

The test went for half an hour even though when i booked it originally it said it would be for a hour long but not complaining!!

There was mostly back streets used, a u-turn in a 50km/h zone (down the end of a small resedential street), some round abouts, uncontrolled intersections, speed bumps, hazzard identification on 2 intesections, then we went into a 80km/h zone where i had to pull out into traffic from a stop and another u-turn. To me it seemed like the exact same route as i took for my full car licence.

Hey there,

Congrats on the test pass. Just wondered, with your u-turns, how much space did you actually get? I've been practicing in tight spaces and I am generally successful I take it the small residential street just gave you the basic 2 lanes worth of space?

Cheers

Bike
    Suzuki GSR
    Hey there

Just passed the restricted at Penrose. Was a 45 minute ride inc stop signs, giveways, uturns, motorway and low speed zones. Hazard identification....stopped twice and told me what to look for....I went down 2 quiet streets, so just made stuff up Make sure you mention testers car as a hazard.

Wear a hi-vis too, he noticed straight away that I was in all black and asked where my hi vis was, My bikes bright green dude!

Now I have the joys of waiting 12-18 months depending on when the CBT comes out next year.

Cheers

Bike
    2007 Suzuki LS650 Boulevard
    Sat (and passed) my test last week.

Turned up on a Sukuzi LS650 Boulevard. I saw a couple of instructors muttering together when they saw it. Nothing came of it, but the instructor told me just before the test that he had been given the go ahead by his manager to allow me to use it (after they checked the list). Apparently they had not been updated by AA with the new LAMS bikes and might have had to turn me away by AA testing rules.

The test itself was fine, though I had a huge case of the nerves beforehand. Once I was on the road it was fine. I had a little issue with the "at the end of the road turn..." vs "at the next road turn....." over the headset they sound very similar, but I think I got them all right.

The U turn was fun. The road the use for it in Hamilton, which is usually clear, had a few utes and vans on it (construction work). I pulled over as instructed (behind a ute with a trailer, with said van opposite me) not putting two and two together that a U -Turn was coming up. Pulled out moved past theute to a clear bit, U-turned, all ok.

I lucked out on the weather so all in all it was a nice little putter around side streets and a bit of open road stuff (out Gorndonton way). Even road works!

One last note was the instructor did not do the hazard ID and said that they were no longer doing that (on either test). And then he told me you can take that off now (pointing to the L plate), which I gleefully did!

Bike
    1987 Harley Davidson fxstc
    Blog Entries
    I sat my 6r at the end of last year, I hired a wee 250 from Timaru and passed test even tho i got lost.
    after the test the fella said sweet mate your alright you passed. Cheers Geoff.

Bike
    2009, GSXR 750 and CB900F
    I just passed my 6R on Tuesday, it was bucketing down with rain for the entire time... I got soaked.

The test only took 30 minutes (i thought it was supposed to take 1 hour now), maybe the testing officer felt sorry for me or maybe it is because i have had a full car licence for 10 years?

Anyway, i think i may have found a potential loop hole in knocking 6 months off my restricted time. back in 2003 i passed my defensive driving course and still have the certificate. According to the new law, if you hold a cert prior to the 1st of Oct 2012 and have held a 6L prior to that date you can apply for an exemption once you have done your 12 months on 6R.

Anyone else tried this? Does it work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	37 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	281516  

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki KLX250s
    Blog Entries

Which area is better for the restricted (in Wellington region)

Hi all

So, I've heard that Kilbirnie has a far higher fail rate than Lower Hutt for the Class 1 restricted license, and I was wondering whether anyone knew if the same held true for Class 6.

Also, does anyone have a rough route lying around for the Class 6 license?

As someone who has previously met licensing officers who, at least back in the home country, liked to fail people wherever humanly possible to drive up revenues, I'd rather not test with people who think the idea is to keep me continually paying for new tests.
    SCIENCE, bitchez. it WORKS.
    Mort and his friends' adventures: http://mymotocyclette.tumblr.com

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Quote Originally Posted by anthraxnz View Post
    I just passed my 6R on Tuesday, it was bucketing down with rain for the entire time... I got soaked.

The test only took 30 minutes (i thought it was supposed to take 1 hour now), maybe the testing officer felt sorry for me or maybe it is because i have had a full car licence for 10 years?

Anyway, i think i may have found a potential loop hole in knocking 6 months off my restricted time. back in 2003 i passed my defensive driving course and still have the certificate. According to the new law, if you hold a cert prior to the 1st of Oct 2012 and have held a 6L prior to that date you can apply for an exemption once you have done your 12 months on 6R.

Sorry for my late reply, just saw this. Did you ask them about this yet?

And do they really mean driving or riding? Can't imagine a defensive car driving course making much of a difference. But if it does, I do have a stunt driving certificate, does that count too?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anthraxnz View Post

The defensive driving certificate is a use once deal. ie, if you did it to reduce the time on your car restricted licence, then it's already been used against a class and can't be re-used. If not, then technically, the certificate has no expiry date, but good luck trying to make them agree to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Suzuki GN 125 2012 (yep, just a baby!)

Kilbirnie Restricted Test

I sat my restricted in Kilbirnie Wellington yesterday (and passed, woo!) and thought I'd chuck in some of the stuff I had to do in case anyone else is frantically googling before their test like I was...

So the instructor was a really nice British guy, I don't remember his name, and he communicated by headset. I was worried about that, but didn't have any trouble hearing him, even at the higher speeds. He sounded kinda like a Navman, lol, saying the directions then repeating them to make sure I'd got it.

He did get me to do a u-turn, on a pretty narrow street (Palm ave) but it was really quiet. He also had me watch out for hazards, he'd say "start remembering hazards now" then pull me over and get me to repeat them to him.

Once we'd done a bunch of pootling around the 'burbs, we headed onto the 70km roads toward the airport. He had me change lanes a couple times on these roads.

Overall not difficult at all, took 45 minutes all up including doing the bike check at the beginning. His only feedback was "you could've gone a bit faster" (I'm pretty sure my speedo's way off on my Suzuki GN125). I did the 2-foot-stopping on all the stop lines, and way exaggerated head movements to make it obvious I was checking my mirror.

Despite it being a test, it was actually pretty fun for the most part! Good luck anyone else sitting it soon, it's a great feeling to rip off the L-plate afterwards!
    Kathy

Bike
    2009, GSXR 750 and CB900F
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    Sorry for my late reply, just saw this. Did you ask them about this yet?

And do they really mean driving or riding? Can't imagine a defensive car driving course making much of a difference. But if it does, I do have a stunt driving certificate, does that count too?
    Nah i haven't tried ringing them about it. According to Gremlin above it's only valid once. I may give it a shot closer to the time but I don't like my chances.

Congrats Kyashii, it seems your test was a bit more involved than mine. I just rode around some intersections, stop signs and give ways then hit the motorway and then went back. Maybe it's just down to how the instructors feeling

Bike
    2005 LS650
    Did my restrictwed test today. Passed with no issues.

Turned up on my LS650. No questions asked whatsoever about it, just checked rego, warrent, indicators and horn. Was then a quick 20 minute ride around town (a couple of stop signs, a few give ways, a round-a-bout), and a very quick ride in a 100k area. No hazard ID, u-turns etc.

No stress, no issues. Should be easy for anyone who can stay upright on a bike, and knows their road rules. If you have been driving a car for a few years you should be sweet. If anything, my only concern is that it is to easy (bring on the CBTA).

The only thing that I did wrong was that my L plate fell off half way round! Not a suprise given it was the first time I had ever bothered putting it on, but the tester just laughed it off.

Bike
    2003 Honda VTR
    Just sat for my Restricted in Manukau, Auckland...

Experiences/ thoughts:
    1) Keep to the speed limit.
    2) took about a total of 30 mins
    3) highest speed limit = 60kmph
    4) no motorway
    5) no "U" Turn's on a deserted road, but I had to do 2 360's at roundabouts
    6) no parking
    7) was using a headset

the feedback i got was that i should "own the road on left and right turns...if i go to close to the either end of the road, i risk a car pulling up beside me and making the turn difficult.

Either I was so dazzling with my handling skills...or I had a must have had a great smile!!...coz i found it easy to be honest

ps: I passed by the way..

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    After December the ol driver/rider testers should be kept busy... http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...arner-licences
    Going by those numbers that's about 800 extra people a day needing to sit their test over next year... although a large portion prob wont bother.
    A heads up to get in early anyway for all the newbies out there.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information