Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    It's not a road rule, it's a specific guidline for CBTA assessment regarding rider skills and behaviour.
    Thanks. Nothing illegal about crossing them then.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    not to mention that if you're crossing them from a side road, you are obviously spending too much time in the wrong lane,
    Mostly I would agree. There is one circumstance when turning right where it is much safer to stay in the wrong lane until you're up to speed. When turning right and the cross road to your left drops too steeply for good visibility and the view to the right is clear for a good distance I will turn into the near lane (the wrong one) until I'm up to speed. That way if an unseen vehicle comes over the brow at a great rate of knots they'll just pass you on the left instead of collecting you from behind. Not very common intersections but they do exist.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Mostly I would agree. There is one circumstance when turning right where it is much safer to stay in the wrong lane until you're up to speed. When turning right and the cross road to your left drops too steeply for good visibility and the view to the right is clear for a good distance I will turn into the near lane (the wrong one) until I'm up to speed. That way if an unseen vehicle comes over the brow at a great rate of knots they'll just pass you on the left instead of collecting you from behind. Not very common intersections but they do exist.
    Haha, that's why I know about it, I was marked down on my CBTA1 because I did exactly that here: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-36.7...7i13312!8i6656

Visibility was poor at the time due to heavy rain as well, but nevermind, still passed.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    If you are turning onto a main road from a side road be fastidious about not cutting lines.

If you are turning from a main road into a side road be equally fastidious.

Arguably, cutting corners is a traffic offence. Just don't make it easy to fail you.

I'm delivering a bronze course to 4 riders tomorrow. There's an even chance that I might know what I'm talking about.

Bike
    None yet
    Thanks for the tip,
    I would like to attend those ride forever courses just committing to the length of each session is hard for me now . Hopefully I get some time and do them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Trumpet
    I just passed my full licence today. If you feel nervous leading up to the test don't worry by the time you release the clutch it all goes away. All the advice and tips are pretty much covered by previous replies. My only other advice is move your head when checking your mirrors because the assessor wont see your eyes.
    Look left and right at any rail crossing if you go through any.
    Good luck buddy.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Something else to add as some advice:

If you see a Hazard and decide it is prudent to take proactive action (Slowing down, changing road position, SIAM Weave, etc) - tell your assessor the Hazard you have identified and the action you are taking.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Trumpet
    When I did my restricted I was told by the instructor that 2 feet down doesnt need to be on the ground at once. He explained that some shorter riders may find it impossible to do so. He said its definitely not a fail if you don't

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    I always wondered how they actually assessed you for your restricted - completely forgot that intercoms existed!! I was thinking that maybe they sat on the back with you!!!

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by nzrobj View Post
    I always wondered how they actually assessed you for your restricted - completely forgot that intercoms existed!! I was thinking that maybe they sat on the back with you!!!
    That would have been funny, as one can't carry a passenger on Learner or Restricted license. Catch 22.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    That would have been funny, as one can't carry a passenger on Learner or Restricted license. Catch 22.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Yep could imagine going for your restricted and as soon as you pulled onto the road the tester failed you for carrying them as a passenger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    if you want tallish soles you have to go for a tramping boot which do work well but are just not as tall as proper bike boots.
    One poster said maybe if I couldn't reach the ground then maybe I need different boots, just how tall are proper bike boots?

What do you wear?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by nzrobj View Post
    beleive it or not there was a time that intercoms did not exist, (wireless bluetooth ones anyway), but we still had to do the graduated licence for m/bikes, when i did my full it was a case of the cop following me and evaluating my riding, the whole test took ages, if i remember correctly i think it was something like 10 mins from the time i put my helmet on till i was walking out of the council offices with my licence

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Proper bike boots are usually calf height but have very thin soles.
    I wear various versions of Kathmandu type tramping boots. Tramping boots have thicker tread too so wont wear out so quickly when walking in them. I have no problem with gear shifting or braking wearing tramping boots.
    motorcycle boots are not made for walking, and old school trailies the likes of XRs/XLs and XTs and PEs and ITs were fairly high and most didin't seem to have a problem with them.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    motorcycle boots are not made for walking, and old school trailies the likes of XRs/XLs and XTs and PEs and ITs were fairly high and most didin't seem to have a problem with them.
    But a few did, gutters are my best friend , didn't sit my bike test, cop asked if I had my bike licence yet, when I said no he said" well seen ya ridin about on that Triumph 500, looks like ya can handle it" then stamps B beside the just passed A (car) I was sitting at age 15.

Joys of living in a small town in the 70's.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    The old school trailies were much lower than today's adventure bikes (as an example). I used to own a few and could touch the ground fine with motorbike boots like you too. If you dont believe todays bikes are taller go and have a sit on one. The Yamaha Tenere series is the tallest of the adventure bikes that I know of. When I rode in motorbike boots I had no problem walking when I got off. Stuff having to change in and out of your shoes when you want to get on and off your bike.

Just to continue the thread derail... I use a boot meant for adventure riding, they have good grip in the mud and are quite a tall boot so good protection from sticks and rocks. The sole of the boot is also quite thick, I have no issue reaching the ground on the KDX 200 while on the road, but imagine I could have issues on steep slopes or uneven terrain, but I think thicker boots wouldn't help much there either.

Thread Information