Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Fees breakdown

As for time of day, it depends what you have trouble with, and whether you mind traffic and busy situations.

Personally, I would choose heavy traffic, as I can't break 55kph very easily that way, and I can cope with heavy traffic fine. Did end up riding right past a school as it was coming out, and it was farken chaotic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    i think my diring is ok, i'm just affraid of loosing the dude. aswell i kinda dont understand howcome is he supposed to signal where i'm supposed to go when he's following me in a car....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    When driving along, he signals in advance, and you have to keep looking in your mirrors to see if he is indicating. ie. If he indicates left, you take the next left, and vice versa. If he puts his headlights on, you need to pull over etc.

Its all explained before you set out together. What/how the instructor wishes to do it may vary, they'll tell you. Its also an excellent way to make sure you use your mirrors enough.

As for loosing the person, keep an eye out constantly, be extra vigilant around intersections etc. It doesn't happen too much. I suspect the tester actually tested me once, as traffic was clear, and he didn't pull away with me. I didn't have any troubles. If you think you are losing them (maybe a few vehicles behind), pull over and wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    a bike
    i got my restricted last week saturday it didnt take that long, anyways all of the above what crashe just mentioned is all right. before doing the test my instructor gave me acouple pointers and he slapped on a L-plate on my bike for me held on my rubber bands lol. my tester was a lady she followed me in her car but before we headed off she told me where to go first and then stop, then she would come up and tell me where to go next, i just had to make sure to check my mirrors to make sure she was still at the back of me. and if she signalled left it meant that i had to turn down the next intersection, or if she signalled left and pulled over then i would do the same and she would come up and tell me my next route to take. all in all it went good and the only thing i done wrong was when i was going through the roundabout. we did get separated once, where she ended up one car at the back of me, but luckily the car turned.

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    When I sat mine the tester gave me instructions through a headset - he would tell me when to turn at the very last second. Afterwards he passed me but said "you could signal a bit sooner" so I guess the lesson is signal as soon as they give you the instruction to do so.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    The thing that bothers me in all of this, is that unless the tester has a headset so that I can hear him/her, I need to spend my time watching the mirrors to make sure I know when to indicate/turn. I would much rather be looking where I going and scanning for possible problems.

Where do I go in Welly to get a tester with radio contact?
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye

Where do I go in Welly to get a tester with radio contact?
    Book at LTNZ Tory St to sit your restricted in Kilbirnie. You'll start at the bowling club and the guy will give you a headset. Well thats what happened for me anyway...
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    Book at LTNZ Tory St to sit your restricted in Kilbirnie. You'll start at the bowling club and the guy will give you a headset. Well thats what happened for me anyway...

Thanks for that Str8.
    I would much rather spend the ride concentrating on what I'm doing rather than being pre-occupied with not losing the bugger.
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    You can also book it for the city to start at Tory St - they have headsets as well, though the tester did have a thick accent that was hard to understand so Kilbirnie might be your best bet (they just have a longer waiting list)
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    nifty50,vespa,moped,pennyfarthing
    Quote Originally Posted by bert_is_evil View Post
    You can also book it for the city to start at Tory St - they have headsets as well, though the tester did have a thick accent that was hard to understand so Kilbirnie might be your best bet (they just have a longer waiting list)
    Well have been riding motorcycles for 20 years im still alive but went to go for mine ,this is in arssie of corse,but took me 4 goes cos i went to the test with an attitude (why should i do what this clown wants me to do im older than that little shit ive been riding when he was still in nappies)...Long story short I had to swallow my pride take a lesson after 3 rd failure and a threat to kill the assessor,and leave my attitude at home and play the game for 1 day ...in the end it was that easy i wondered what all the fuss is about i now ride how i wanna ride not how they want you each to there own good luck with it all keep the rubberside down

Bike
    '02 R1
    Great advice in the first post, sat mine the other day and when we got back all he said was "thats fine, ill go write ya licence"

I got directions from him indicating, didn't take every second turn and he gave plenty of time so no worries

Booked mine for 8am, hardly any traffic around here then. Check your area for what times are best. Take your time and don't worry if you have to wait a while for a gap, he has to pull out too. Usually you wont have to worry about following distance either, you'll be the only one on the road doing 50k

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    i'm booked for wed's 11th oct on 8:30 am
    fingers crossed

only thing i'm concerned it my eyesight check, most likely i wont pass that...

got my L plate finally, and now I have to attach it

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by mops View Post
    i'm booked for wed's 11th oct on 8:30 am
    fingers crossed

only thing i'm concerned it my eyesight check, most likely i wont pass that...

got my L plate finally, and now I have to attach it
    I can't believe they test your eyesight again and again and again in this country.

I had to get an optometrist certificate to convert from UK licence. Then I had to get another optometrist certificate for bike licence now I'll have to get ANOTHER fuggin optometrist certificate for my restricted licence coz they only last 6 months DESPITE MY EYESIGHT NOT HAVING CHANGED IN 36 YEARS!

Can't do the test at the AA place coz I have monocular vision - if in doubt ask Sarge what that means.

PS the eye that does see is like 6/5+ (better than 20/20)
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    where are you getting your eyetest done ?

Last time i did it 3 times. first optometrists just wanted to sell me glasses, and he diagnosed me wrong for that matter.

i went to akl uni optometrist and they were diagnosingy my eyes for 2 hours ! but the prescription they gave me was damn great...

in the end i went to GP and they made me read eyechart and said it is good enough to drive/ride...

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    There's a place on College Hill, Ponsnobby that charges $10. Cannnot remember their name but they were pretty quick.

Usually when getting my eyes tested I try to cut to the chase and say "Can I just read the bottom line please?" and when they say "Okay" I reply "Printed in Taiwan, can I go now?"

Both times I've had my eyes tested here the optometrists have not had good things to say about the eyetest machines.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Thread Information