Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Standard eye test is $15.

Go to the one on Lincoln road Henderson, west Auckland, in that little mall where Pak an Save used to be
    Just ask for a standard eye test... explain it is for a license and he knows what is required.

A eye test from your GP is also good enough for your license if you fail the one at the AA place.

Then zap over to AA on Central Park Drive to do your test.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    woah, didnt even think about that headset thing! How the smeg are you meant to be 110% focused on road hazards when your looking behind you half the time!

Plus my bike is so tiny i have to squeeze my arm right out the way to see behind me!!

ANYBODY KNOW A PLACE IN WEST AUCKS THAT USES HEADSETS?? I dont think westgate does??

(orrible place, westgate, had first accident as a newbie rider there on the way back from picking up my learners!)
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    Headsets are good but could be better. When I did mine test awhile ago the headset kept giving me a blast of static every 30 seconds or so. Fark it was off putting.
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    omg, omg, ppl i'm sitting my restricted toomorow morning 8:30 am at quay street in auckland.....
    I managed to attach the L plate yesterday
    I'll report back when i'm done

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    Allright !
    I passed ! :
    testing officer wasnt very friendly, but i think he was still objective. It was raining. we just went around little residential streets. stopped over on the car park, he asked me to do couple of fig 8's and then do emergency stop with both brakes wihout skidding. then i was riding and watching him in the mirrors where he is turning, but it was easy as it was residential road so the speed was low and he indicated heaps before.

Scary thing was that just after I arrived, before I even got a change to say good morning, he asked me to do the eyesight test (which I failed 6 months ago on the learners test), but this time I passed (few lucky educated guesses)

RenegadeMaster, thanks for the luclky 'L' plate i was riding with it for whole 3 days I'll pass it on to another learner

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe View Post
    Footnote: If you think you have lost your tester, STOP and wait for him/her to catch up.
    If you lose him/her completely, and he/she goes back to the start off point without you, it aint good.
    So always keep the tester in your view.
    :
    When I went for my test... the cop said ride here... here and then up to here here... basically it was around the bloody big block... heheh I had to borrow a 250 froma bikeshop cause the bike I owned at thetime was a XJ650.

and away we went... I was back half way through a cigerette waiting on the cop... he comes over and said "well seems you know what you are doing..." I actually told him about the 650 and all hesaid was "take it easy on it"...

Having said that I did have a CB250n but it was in the shop for repairs at the time... and rode that most of the time as I rebuilt the 650

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket View Post
    Book at LTNZ Tory St to sit your restricted in Kilbirnie. You'll start at the bowling club and the guy will give you a headset. Well thats what happened for me anyway...

This is exactly what I did a few month ago.
    Tester gave me a head set, went around a few residential streets, 15 mins and Hey presto, I had my restricted. (thanks for the info str8).

All I need to do now is apologise to the friend that I managed to drop the bars of his wife's bike I was test riding today onto the wing of his cage ....
    Took her 500 for a test ride, absolutely loved it, pulled into the drive next to his cage (north face of the eiger slope). Missed my footing as I came to a stop. Misjudged the weight of the bike and ended up putting the bar end straight into the middle of the front wing of his cage. Bugger.

Up side is my misses appears to have agreed to the purchase of the bike.
    Yeh!
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"

NO headset despite them saying they did have one.

I arrived to do my restricted test at AA Lower Hutt, I booked there because they confirmed they used a headset for all motorcycle tests.
    But Nope, the chappie who tested me didn't have one, said he said he didn't like them when I asked him about it.
    The other tester at the AA Lower Hutt had a headset, but this tester didn't.

I passed anyway, but I will call the AA to complain. I already complained to the testing man himself.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    AA Westgate didn't use headsets when I took my full licence about two months ago. So, for the 45 minute test, I had to look in my mirrors the whole time to find out where the tester was indicating. It didn't help that even at 80kph, the tester was tailgating me - only about 4 metres behind. I had to stop halfway through and ask him to keep his bloody distance. Lots of stopping for me to identify potential hazards ("none", "none", "none", "none", "f'ing big truck").

Just remember to do the two foot shuffle on take off. Left foot down and rioght foot on the brake, right foot down to change back to 1st, left foot down then right foot on the brake. Oh, and look over your shoulder when moving off.

Bike
    Ninja 250R
    How long does the test take? do they test you in the parking lot as well?

Can you possibly be driving too slow and get failed for thet? I mean if you are driving 50 in a 70 zone?

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
    How long does the test take? do they test you in the parking lot as well?

Can you possibly be driving too slow and get failed for thet? I mean if you are driving 50 in a 70 zone?
    Test time - depends on the instructor... some have only been 20 minutes some 45 minutes.. allow up to 1 hour.

Parking lots - play safe and indicate when turning into different aisles.... oh and indicate when leaving the parking lot onto the road.
    I always say "If in doubt INDICATE"

If its 70km zone then do that... unless the car/s in front are going slower then go with the flow.

If you do go 50km in a 70km area have a good reason for it if the instructor asks you why....

On a motorway the speed is 100 but you are allowed to go slower (cant recall the actual speed at the moment)

Bike
    07 Hayabusa
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
    woah, didnt even think about that headset thing! How the smeg are you meant to be 110% focused on road hazards when your looking behind you half the time!

Plus my bike is so tiny i have to squeeze my arm right out the way to see behind me!!

ANYBODY KNOW A PLACE IN WEST AUCKS THAT USES HEADSETS?? I dont think westgate does??

(orrible place, westgate, had first accident as a newbie rider there on the way back from picking up my learners!)
    Westgate Does, but they're pretty dodgy....

Bike
    Ninja 250R
    Scary thing was that just after I arrived, before I even got a change to say good morning, he asked me to do the eyesight test (which I failed 6 months ago on the learners test), but this time I passed (few lucky educated guesses)

An eysight test? What do they expect you to check there? Indicators, stop lights, brake lights and oil leaks?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo

Blah

Going to sit my restricted tomorrow... wish me luck folks hehe

...now to find a 250cc bike to turn up on.... hehe
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    oh almost forgot.....

after swaping bikes with Morcs for the day and cruising around on his Bandit, I go down to the testing station to be told the rear tyre is bald and I would need to get another bike to sit test... grrrr... a quick trip to Henderson Motorcycles and they lent me their local 'whore bike' (everyones had a ride GPX250) ...scooted back down and did my test, the bloody bike cuts out half way through and wouldnt start, managed to push start it then the clutch was slipping (too much lubricant for the whore) but managed to pass the test!

Was happy that the dude actually used a headset and told me where to go.. but would you believe it... I still managed to take a wrong turn...

back to my luvy 600cc beasty girl for some mway fun now...
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Thread Information