Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Arrow Sitting your Restricted License

The website about the restricted license practical test: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/mo...practical.html

Some tips for you all to read before doing the restricted test:
    Stopping - Place both feet on the ground, yes one foot at a time (if that is how you do it), but do place them both down, so that the instructor can see them both planted firmly on the ground. But you must wait, so that the bike isn't moving at all.
    (Pretend that you are waiting on a car to go past even if there isnt one there)
    If you have put the bike into 1st gear, then yes, keep your clutch in as you won't want to stall the bike. As it can be hard sometimes to get the bike into neutral.

Indicating - Make sure you do it and then turn them off. Especially at roundabouts when exiting them. Also if the taking off place is in a parking lot, use indicators in there as well and exiting the parking lot.

Speed - Keep to the correct speed limit.

Lanes - Stay more to the middle of the lane, rather than to the far left or near the white line.

Lights - Stop even if they turn ORANGE and especially when they are RED.
    They can fail you for failing to stop on a orange (depending on the tester)

Mirrors - Check them regularly - cos the tester may be in a car and indicating to you ahead of time. Definitely move your head, so that it is obvious that you are checking your mirrors.

L Plate - Make sure it is on your bike BEFORE you go there.
    If you don't have one already, you can buy them at the $2 shop.

Polite - Be damned polite to the tester when you greet him/her, but dont over do it thou.

License - Have it on you and also a ph bill or something like a ph bill with your home address on it.

Motorway - Please refer to quote in the box at the bottom of my first post.
    It is most doubtful that you will go on a motorway for your restricted, but do enquire ahead of time. Let them know that you will be doing 100kph if you go on the motorway when you are sitting the 'restricted test'. If they say you must not go over 70kph. Then quote them from the box below.
    Otherwise stick to 70km and do not go over that speed limit.

Bike - Make sure it has a current Rego and current WOF on it. Also make sure everything is working and nought is hanging off it.

Be On Time - Arrive on time, at least 10 minutes ahead of the appointment time. Never be late or you will have to pay again for another appointment.

Following distances - Even when pulling up at intersections. Don't follow to closely and don't sit to close behind at intersections either.

Visors - If you have got a dark tint or iridium visor, it may pay to keep the visor up, whilst doing the test then at least at intersections and when stopped you can make eye contact, with the tester in the mirrors (as he/she will be looking).

Obstacles - Some testers after the test, may ask you about things, that were on the road or roadside, so be observant at all times.

Take off - Take a few deep breathes before you take off and have fun.

Cost - Contact your local LTSA website or your local AA (Automobile Association).
    http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html

What do I need for the riding tests?
    http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/28.html

Quote Originally Posted by ltsa
    Your motorcycle must:
    * have a current warrant of fitness (WoF) and be up to WoF standard, and
    * have a current licence label (sometimes incorrectly called 'registration' label) showing.
    You can't use a moped for a restricted or full license practical test.
    You must have an L plate showing for a restricted license practical riding test.
    Good luck its a breeze and you will pass no sweat.

Footnote: If you think you have lost your tester, STOP and wait for him/her to catch up.
    If you lose him/her completely, and he/she goes back to the start off point without you, it aint good.
    So always keep the tester in your view.

Footnote: See rule below highlighted re riding over 70km when ONLY doing your restricted test.
    Land Transport (Driver Licensing) Rule 1999
    Part 4 Learner licences, restricted licences, and full licences (r 15 to r 19)

[(d)in the case of a Class 6L licence, where the holder is riding a motorcycle, the holder—

(i)must display on the vehicle an “L” plate as specified in clause 66; and
    (ii)must not—

(A)drive between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am; or
    (B)drive at a speed exceeding 70 km/h, unless taking the restricted licence test for a Class 6R licence under clause 48(5); or
    (C)drive a motorcycle that has a total piston displacement exceeding 250 cm3; or
    (D)carry another person on the motorcycle or in a sidecar attached to the motorcycle]

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe
    Footnote: If you think you have lost your tester, STOP and wait for him/her to catch up.
    If you lose him/her completely, and he/she goes back to the start off point without you, it aint good.
    Really?

I was always taught that you should ride your own ride and let the tester take care of himself...

When I took my full test in the uk, through no fault of my own I managed to lose the instructor for a few minutes, couple of cars got between us at a roundabout, I could still hear him on the intercom so just kept going and he caught me up fairly quickly.

Is it different over here then?

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Yep there have been cases of the tester loosing the rider..... and the tester heading back to the start off point and FAILING the rider once the person got back there.
    The tester is giving instructions all the time, not always by intercom instructions, but only by indicating only.

So if the rider gets too far ahead of the tester, how will they know where they are to go? Tester's change the route every so often. Some testers will go a different way each time.

Bike
    SV 650 Racer
    I did my test on friday and before the test the tester said i can't asses you if i cant see you and if you lose me just pull over and wait.
    It's better to Burn out than to Fade away - Cause thats value for money!!

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Motorway - Stick to 70km and do not go over that speed limit should they ask you to go on the motorway.
    Is it normal to be asked to go on the motorway for the Restricted test? I haven't got my Learners yet, but was planning to avoid the motorway until I have my Restricted, on the basis that riding at 70 on the motorway would be kind of dangerous ...

Bike
    1997 Suzuki GSX R600
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh
    Is it normal to be asked to go on the motorway for the Restricted test? I haven't got my Learners yet, but was planning to avoid the motorway until I have my Restricted, on the basis that riding at 70 on the motorway would be kind of dangerous ...

Your absoutly correct.
    It is a bit dangerous at 70 k's, just ride to the conditions and your skill level. sometimes you can't aviod the motorways. loose ya L plate, blend in, and relax, tho be very carefull (as always).

Ever noticed how few bikers wear an L plate???

Bike
    None - sad jazz hands! (Ex-06 GN250)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh
    ...on the basis that riding at 70 on the motorway would be kind of dangerous ...
    HI there, I have had my learners for about 2 months and I do go on the motorway. I do wear an L plate (not a big fan of the idea of an instant $400 fine for not having one) but, after a lot of thought and reading some of the threads on the subject, I have decided not to stick to 70 kph on the motorway. I call that rule "a good recipe for road paste". I think the consensus seems to be - go with the flow of traffic, but do not go over 100 kph. Even some of the cops on KB say they would not ticket a L-plate rider for going over 70 kph (but they would for not having the L-plate in the first place!). Having said that, when I sit my restricted, I'll go 70 on the motorway if they ask me to ride on there...

I guess time will tell if my approach is a good idea - time and any copper that pulls me over for going over 70!

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Stopping - Place both feet on the ground, yes one foot at a time (if that is how you do it), but do place them both down, so that the instructor can see them both planted firmly on the ground. But you must wait, so that the bike isn't moving at all.

I can't see anywhere in the road code where this is a consideration. I would argue I am much more stable with left foot down and right on rear brake. This is also ideal for hill starts.
    Where in the road code does it say that placing both feet on the ground when stopped is key?
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Fairlie - This is more so, for when you are sitting your TEST.

Some testers have failed riders as they believe that the bike wasn't stopped, when only one foot was on the ground.
    So the best way to prove to testers, is to place both feet on the ground.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Aaah - I see

Sounds logical now...ride during the test with all safety aspects exaggerated...
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    1992 Honda Xelvis VT250FN
    One idea was to put a white sticker or something similar on the back of your helmet (if it's black) so the tester can see when you're moving your head. Of course, it may make you look stupid... but that's what you get for buying a black helmet .

Bike
    1992 Honda VFR nc30
    also turn your head and look when you pull away, don't just rely on your mirrors. they do look for this

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    damn. I'm due to sit my restricted. how much does it cost ?
    Is there any preffered day or time of day to have it (aroun 10-11am the traffic is least in central auckland).

Damn I forgot when my bike's warrant is due....

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mops
    damn. I'm due to sit my restricted. how much does it cost ?
    Is there any preffered day or time of day to have it (aroun 10-11am the traffic is least in central auckland).

Damn I forgot when my bike's warrant is due....
    Cost - Contact your local LSTA website or your local AA (Automobile Association).

I reckon anytime when the kids are in school....... school hours

Bike
    None
    When I sat my full test the tester followed behind me in a car with no intercom. He didn't signal to me while I was riding, either. Before I set off, he just said "go down this road, turn left into that road" etc. Sometimes I didn't even understand the street names because he mumbled, but more than anything, as I explained to him, I had only just moved to the town and had no idea where those streets were, so "please forgive me if I get lost". I ended up going the wrong way 3 times! Each time the tester went the right way and just waited for me to back-track and catch up. Luckily I did find him each time! And I passed! I guess my riding was ok, it's just my navigation that sucks.

Thread Information