Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gracefield battle of the streets

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Check out this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ght=gracefield I posted some pics of Gracefield on that a while ago.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    N/a
    the old man used to race here. He said it was a pretty cool track. Bring it back!!!

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    Check out this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ght=gracefield I posted some pics of Gracefield on that a while ago.
    Hmm I notice Linda knows a bit about it, il ask her who to talk to about it.

Sugilite-I would have thought 300 around there would be pushing it but point taken. Having it in the urban mecca of wainui would be perfect, I could watch it from my house!
    As for the Puke and manfield suggestions-I was just making the point that it seems silly to sink all this new dosh into Taupo when Manfeild, sub-standard as it is now, would require a whole lot less to get it up to spec. The only reason I can see for the big push on Taupo is since its touristy already, the local buisnesses could take full advantage of a big foriegn tourist influx.
    Sadly, Feilding doesnt offer the same attractions as taupo as a district, unless your name is cowpoos. Then again, they host a round of the GP at Quatar which is a sand blown hole in the middle of 'jihad-lets kill the infedel'' land, so anything is possible
    Sargent Major: "Now then, who called the cook a bastard?"
    Small voice from the rear: "Who called that bastard a cook?"

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Jim Tuckerman was one of the main men organising Gracefield in the 80's, not sure if he's still around. I was with Railways then and used to help organise the road closure from our end, mainly making sure our lads turned off the crossing alarm systems - didn't want barrier arms coming down during the races eh!
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    Jim Tuckerman was one of the main men organising Gracefield in the 80's, not sure if he's still around. I was with Railways then and used to help organise the road closure from our end, mainly making sure our lads turned off the crossing alarm systems - didn't want barrier arms coming down during the races eh!
    MERV !!! You must be really old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! G.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Kerry Larkin was the guy that was killed over the railway line. I was about 50yards behind. What a mess that was, haybales everywhere with bikes spinning and cartwheeling. Quite a bit of discussion about whether his triple clamps broke before or after the accident. I liked Gracefield, wheelying over the intersection where you turn off the the DSIR and Wainui and dropping it down in time to brake for the corner, all round the outside of some German guy on a RGB500. Then gassing it up for another crossed up wheelie over the railway line. Driving round it now though it looks way dangerous. Must be getting old!
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 9th June 2020 at 10:29.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza
    MERV !!! You must be really old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! G.
    Yeah damn I must almost be as old as you.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    empty garage )-:
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite
    Please tell me this is a sick joke. Puke is the most boring track in NZ hands down. Puke is a brainless one line wonder, :
    Hmmm while no great fan of Puke I wouldn't call it boring. 180-200kph corners with nothing but armco 2 metres away!! Dumb = yes. Boring = no

I remember watching a young Aaron Slight on a TZ250 proddie bike around Gracefield. He was awesome. I also remember a few high speed crashes there too...
    "...New Zealanders, for all their faults, have virtues that are precious: an unwillingness to be intimidated by the new, the formidable, or class systems; trust in situations where there would otherwise be none; compassion for the underdog; a sense of responsibility for people in difficulty; not undertaking to do something without seeing it through - "
    Michael King

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafe
    Could just organise it around Martinborough since it's already a racetrack.
    !
    ah...yes...princess street GP would be a hoot!!

organise it dafe....and the people will come!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite
    I raced Gracefield twice, It was easily the most dangerous track I've ever raced at, you crossed the railway tracks topped out on one side and then again cranked over on the other side, years of diesel being spilt on the corners made it real slippery and a fair few lost their lives there. The speeds with the new bikes there now would be insane. It was a VERY fast track even back then. I had no fear on a motorcycle at 18 whatsoever, but I sure respected that place.
    I'm with you there mate.
    Raced my GPZ1100 there at the 'tender' age of 18......way too fast....NO run off at the end of the straights. Went through 8 pairs of gruts.
    In the first practice session.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I raced Gracefield twice, It was easily the most dangerous track I've ever raced at, you crossed the railway tracks topped out on one side and then again cranked over on the other side, years of diesel being spilt on the corners made it real slippery and a fair few lost their lives there. .
    too my knowledge Carey Larkin was the only fatality there.mid 80's

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Was he the one Katenberg ran into?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Was he the one Katenberg ran into?
    he was part of the same incident

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9290037.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	538.6 KB 
ID:	345174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91157630_2855887057834545_8300502625732788224_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	652.4 KB 
ID:	345175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43043405_2115438478474783_2583670532192862208_o.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	345176
    first two are Gracefield 77' I think .
    Richard Scoular #42 , sent the second pic to me about two weeks ago( me #212.)

Then # 112 me (73 ' maybe ? ) it all came good, after 6 wks previous pissing blood for a week after Onekawa Napier .
    (rebuilt the bike and at it again ).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it seems that there was another rider met his maker at the circuit too.

Thread Information