Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gracefield battle of the streets

Bike
    A few

Gracefield battle of the streets

Logged on to the MotoGP petition site today and got wondering about bike racing in NZ and how we could get more of it, which trigered a grey old memory.
    Most of you have heard of the battle of the streets in Wanganui and at Paeroa, and like me you proabably go along as these are bloody fantastic to watch. What you may not know is that there used to be something very similar to this much closer to Welington. The Gracefield street circuit.
    It got stoped in the mid eighties I think, but Gracefeild, an industrial area (over in the Hutt valley at the base of the wainui hill) used to get closed off for street racing. And it was popular. Real popular.
    So why did they stop it? Noise isnt too much of an issue as there are f@#k all houses there, and people at wanganui and paeroa dont seen to have a problem with the races for one day of the year, and il bet a fair # of punters would show up today. So who could I bitch to (maybe the battle of the streets organisers) to get it back?
    Sargent Major: "Now then, who called the cook a bastard?"
    Small voice from the rear: "Who called that bastard a cook?"

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Paeroa and wanganui get soo much money from there races it makes it easy for their small councils to get get the required permits etc

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I raced Gracefield twice, It was easily the most dangerous track I've ever raced at, you crossed the railway tracks topped out on one side and then again cranked over on the other side, years of diesel being spilt on the corners made it real slippery and a fair few lost their lives there. The speeds with the new bikes there now would be insane. It was a VERY fast track even back then. I had no fear on a motorcycle at 18 whatsoever, but I sure respected that place.

Bike
    keyboard jockey
    if you want to race it, go down there thursday night, theres plenty of obliging wrx/evo types who want an ass whooping, an its free to, you dont have to pay an entry fee like wangnui an paeroa.

or any other night for that matter.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Is that port road you are talking about there Mikey?
    Or do they race Gracefield these days?

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite
    I raced Gracefield twice, It was easily the most dangerous track I've ever raced at, you crossed the railway tracks topped out on one side and then again cranked over on the other side, years of diesel being spilt on the corners made it real slippery and a fair few lost their lives there. The speeds with the new bikes there now would be insane. It was a VERY fast track even back then. I had no fear on a motorcycle at 18 whatsoever, but I sure respected that place.
    But it was fun and you'd do it again right? I cant see that Wangavegas is a lot safer in terms of objects/buildings you could bounce off. A good waterblast the night before might clean up the diesel spills. Cant do much about the train tracks, but I dont think they are even in use these days (pull em out?). I ride that road every morning and havent seen a train on it for a good ten years

Bike
    TF125
    The section of train track crossing Seaview Road outside Firestone Commercial has just recently been pulled up, like in the past fortnight. i wonder if there's more to follow?

I've often sat here on a Thursday night and listened to the little wankers that are the Hutt Boyracers and thought of going out to Learn 'em a thing or two. I'm getting to old though and Mrs MAX frowns at me every time I mention it.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite
    I did every year there and loved it ! what about Onekawa (Napier) I jumped off every year except one ! still loved it though. Gaz.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUSDEMERITUS
    The section of train track crossing Seaview Road outside Firestone Commercial has just recently been pulled up, like in the past fortnight. i wonder if there's more to follow?

I've often sat here on a Thursday night and listened to the little wankers that are the Hutt Boyracers and thought of going out to Learn 'em a thing or two. I'm getting to old though and Mrs MAX frowns at me every time I mention it.
    I'm not sure the track went down that far ? I can remember watching the racing on tv - Roger Freeth and Dave Hitchcock are a couple of names I recall and there were two brothers who always did really well.

I think the track went around Gracefield Road, Hutt Park Road and Parkside Road, but I was only about 10 or 12 when they stopped it so the memory ain't too flash.

I think a racer crashed and died the year they pulled the plug on it, but from what Suglite says there may have been more deaths leading up to it's demise.

Even if you could sort out the safety issues and red tape, there are a few people living in Point Howard that would object on the basis of noise. We really need to support and protect the motorsport events and facilities we already have, cause once they are gone, its hard to get em back. The politically correct/greenie/bureacrat/safety/fun police are much stauncher nowadays.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    A few
    We really need to support and protect the motorsport events and facilities we already have, cause once they are gone, its hard to get em back. The politically correct/greenie/bureacrat/safety/fun police are much stauncher nowadays.[/QUOTE]

There will always be whingers who need to be involuntarily euthanased but the organisor(s) could cross that bridge when they get to it-like I said the other towns with street races dont seem to mind for one day of the year.
    As for supporting current motosport events on a different thread-why all the fuss with bringing motoGP to Taupo. Manfield is a beter track and wouldnt take so much to get it up to international standard with new grandstands etc. Even Puke might be a beter layout?

Bike
    2010 Thruxton & 2013 Think Ion
    Blog Entries
    Sounds bloody good. VW, You'd have to talk to the Hutt City Council and I'd say you'd need backing from some large motorcycle organisations behind you.
    The council will listen with bigger ears if they are talking to the likes of the Vic Motorcycle Club or similar organisations.

As for those dangerous crossings etc that Sugilite is talking of, I think the circuit would need chicanes etc put in play to force the speed to low on dangerous points. If it's not possible to avoid them entirely.

However, The HCC is very proactive and talking to them, I'm sure you'll get some informative feedback.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by VasalineWarrior
    As for supporting current motosport events on a different thread-why all the fuss with bringing motoGP to Taupo. Manfield is a beter track and wouldnt take so much to get it up to international standard with new grandstands etc. Even Puke might be a beter layout?
    Manfeild long circuit would be ok, providing they resurfaced it.

Manfeild's surface is quite disgusting really - there's a pothole on the front straight, one in the hairpin and two smaller ones with ripples exiting Higgins. The hump on the back straight where it enters the long track......all good challenging stuff I guess.

After riding Puke or Ruapuna, Manfeild is a goat track.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    After riding Puke or Ruapuna, Manfeild is a goat track.
    And pukes a glorified oval

Maybe find some $$ values for the Wanganui and Paeroa races, such as income the district gets over there races to help any talkings with the HCC

Bike
    Blog Entries
    But it was fun and you'd do it again right? I cant see that Wangavegas is a lot safer in terms of objects/buildings you could bounce off.
    Hmmmm, lets see now, hitting somthing at wangas at around 180 kph top speed there, ouch. Hitting something at gracefield at over 300 kph top speed there RIP
    I did Gracefield on a GSXR750, top speed about 230 kph in those days. it was just a couple of drag strips connected by a few lame corners in my books. I did not think much of it. There would be better areas to run a race around Wellies than there.

Quote Originally Posted by roogazza
    I did every year there and loved it ! what about Onekawa (Napier) I jumped off every year except one ! still loved it though. Gaz.
    I did this track only once and in the rain, it was my second race ever and I was on a standard GSXR750 with original fairings, I remember lots of slippery off camber corners and passing a GSXR1100R then one corner later him ramming me as in the side as he out braked himself. Fortunately I had been on my motocross bike the day before and just stuck out my foot and rode it out as he went down in a heap, naughty Anthony McCarthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    I think a racer crashed and died the year they pulled the plug on it, but from what Suglite says there may have been more deaths leading up to it's demise.
    Yeah, a guy crashed in frony of Eddie Kattenberg and he ran his head over, not pretty.

Even Puke might be a beter layout?
    Please tell me this is a sick joke. Puke is the most boring track in NZ hands down. Puke is a brainless one line wonder, Taupo is miles ahead.
    To me Manfield is a OK track, but yes, the surface is shamefull.

It may appear from my posts I do not like street circuits, I assure you I do. I've finished on the podium a few times at Wangas (and was the only one NOT cheating on there too) and a few other now defunct ones.
    I did do a deal with the wife when I got back into racing, not to do street races, but now she is my "ex" wife, maybe all bets are off. I've had a few people that know my ride style tell me I'd go well at Paeroa, I've never seen it myself, but maybe I'll change that next year.

Bike
    2010 Thruxton & 2013 Think Ion
    Blog Entries
    Could just organise it around Martinborough since it's already a racetrack.

Or how about around Sugilites house......Yeahhhhhah! I just love that targa rally hillclimb section..... So Sweet!

Thread Information