Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does it look so easy?

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar

Why does it look so easy?

Why does it look so easy to stop your bike, hop off, and then put the stand down?

And yet when I do it I feel unbalanced, awkward and worried that I'm going to drop the bike. Don't get me wrong, I can do it quite capably, do so regularly and have never dropped the bike, it's just that it always feels difficult.

Is it my size, strength, balance or a combination of all of these?
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    keyboard jockey
    its casue you suck at pool, they go hand in hand

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Eat more pies.

Bike
    2004 GT i-Drive 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone19
    Out of these I think the only thing would be balance as you aren't a shorty and Im sure you are strong enough, its just the way the weight distribution through your body changes when you move from the bike and then the extra weight from the bike as it slightly leans towards you as you hop off.

You will get use to it after a while.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Odd , because I find the reverse. I always stop, get off, then do stand thing.

I find it feels very awkward odd and unbalanced fiddling round trying to flick the stand out whilst astride the machine.

Whereas, the other way is easy. Stop, foot down swing right leg over, and on the way down flick the stand (centre or side). All in one motion on a small bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Sold
    At 5' 8" in old money, I'm a bit of a short arse for the Blackbird and the sidestand always goes down first if I'm rolling it off the centre stand and I get on from the side stand position. Getting off, the sidestand goes down first and I also hold the front brake on. Just playing the percentages, that's all

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Eat more pies.
    Be a tubbos like Bruce and Daryl...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Odd , because I find the reverse. I always stop, get off, then do stand thing.

I find it feels very awkward odd and unbalanced fiddling round trying to flick the stand out whilst astride the machine.

Whereas, the other way is easy. Stop, foot down swing right leg over, and on the way down flick the stand (centre or side). All in one motion on a small bike.
    Well I can do that on my Raleigh 20...

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Don't know - because that's not the way I do it.

I stop, kick the stand down, lean the bike over and THEN get off. After a while I get to the point where I do it all in one motion without my feet touching the ground till I get off... but it takes time, and familirity with the bike (foot needs to find the stand first time...).

The RF has the added bonus of havoing a kill switch on the side stand... it means you don;t even bother hitting that switch (not that it's a lot of work...)

MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder
    I stop, kick the stand down, lean the bike over and THEN get off. After a while I get to the point where I do it all in one motion without my feet touching the ground till I get off... but it takes time, and familirity with the bike (foot needs to find the stand first time...).
    Heh, same. But when I do that I'll have already switched the bike off while coasting, and be pulling the keys out while i'm putting the side stand down (while still moving). So when I stop and touch down with the stand I can just walk straight off

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Heh, same. But when I do that I'll have already switched the bike off while coasting, and be pulling the keys out while i'm putting the side stand down (while still moving). So when I stop and touch down with the stand I can just walk straight off
    yeah - feels good when you get it right. It's just a balance thing...
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    I should clarify.

99% of the time I put the side stand down before hopping off the bike, but occasionally I don't for whatever reason.

And obviously on the race bike there is no stand so I have to get off and then try and get the rear stand on - now that is even worse!

I'd like to think I'd get used to it but no matter how many times I do it, I still feel awkward!

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Why does it look so easy to stop your bike, hop off, and then put the stand down?

...snip...

To answer your question - I'd say height, weight (i.e. your centre of gravity) vs the bike's I wouldn't want to do it that way on the RF... I'd be worried it'd topple... (I'll try it today just to find out).

Bike
    I'd like to ad the part where I can do that, walk away while pulling my helmet off, flicking my long blonde hair, just after I've given all the boys the learn on my Gixxer 1000...

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I'd like to ad the part where I can do that, walk away while pulling my helmet off, flicking my long blonde hair, just after I've given all the boys the learn on my Gixxer 1000...
    I didn't know you could ride in your sleep...

Thread Information