Thread: Side Stand too Tall

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries

Side Stand too Tall

I have had the SV lowered but it has left me with an annoying problem.

The side stand is almost straight up and down so she sits very upright. It is proving a nuisance when trying to park up. Actually I look like a wally cos I think I am on the flat- flick the stand down then have to push the bike around to find the right terrain.

I have had 2 suggestions
    1) cut a section and weld foot back on...problem is type of material stand is made from or 2) get another from a wreckers.

As I am not very technically up with the play I was hoping for suggestions from the crew? Bearing in mind I wouldnt be capable of doing the job myself
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Honda used to sit very straight on the stand and it fell over a couple of times,so I bent the tab so it leans over a bit further.

I would get another stand from the wreckers and get it shortened,then you can go back if it wasn't such a good idea.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I'd head down to the wreckers and find a shorter side stand that will fit on all your mounts. The only real issue is making sure the sidestand ignition cutout switch will still operate.
    Youre more than welcolm to the stand off my zxr if ya want it
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Quote Originally Posted by xjxjxj
    The only real issue is making sure the sidestand ignition cutout switch will still operate.
    Or just by-pass it.
    What is the stand made of? Cast Ali? If so, find a steel one with the same size flange and get it shortened and re-shaped to fit. I'd be surpised if you couldn't do that for fifty bucks.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuck
    I have had the SV lowered but it has left me with an annoying problem.

The side stand is almost straight up and down so she sits very upright. It is proving a nuisance when trying to park up. Actually I look like a wally cos I think I am on the flat- flick the stand down then have to push the bike around to find the right terrain.

I have had 2 suggestions
    1) cut a section and weld foot back on...problem is type of material stand is made from or 2) get another from a wreckers.

As I am not very technically up with the play I was hoping for suggestions from the crew? Bearing in mind I wouldnt be capable of doing the job myself
    I'd be surprised if your stand isn't made from plain old mild steel. Is it painted black? In the last few years I shortened the stands on my dirt bikes when I lowered them by just cutting the foot off, cutting a piece out of the tube and then welding the foot back on no problems.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Honda PC800
    bring ya bike along to the spanner evening--after weve done the basics Ill bung ya bike on my pitstand --or maybee baby b's one --either way we'll have a look at it
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuck
    problem is type of material stand is made from
    I checked out a SV today and they have a steel stand rather than a cast one so a cut and tuck would be the go.
    Now, you just need to find the butcher.... I mean welder amongest you in dorkla.... I mean Auckland to get the job done
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Hahahaha
    Thanks D. Yep stand is mild steel and welded foot not sure about nip and tuck - its sounds painful.

If weather is not as crappy as tonight I will take the bike down to the spanner evening and see what they "lads and ladesses" think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    Honda PC800
    has ya sv got a mainstand?? if the weather is too shitty pull the stand off and bring it down

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    ummm...no main stand. Never mind if cant bring it tomorrow I am sure I can go to bike shop and get sorted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information