Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 250 on an Adventure ride??

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Yep middle pic is Rainbow Road.

I have a pack rack on my WR now but its definitely lightish loads only as even the L-bracket mounting points are quite close together not giving much lever arm and the support frame is rather flimsy under the mudguard. As I say though forget the WR for 7,000km trips, its basically a race bike. That's why I have both it and the XR, they serve different purposes.

The reason I stick with 250 dirt bikes is I am a small guy and hate large and/or heavy bikes in the rough. I could always ride a smaller one faster and easier.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    ZZR400
    Sounds like a good trip, shouldnt be a problem on a 250, just carry extra fuel.
    There will probably be a few people keen to join you for a leg or 2

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    sounds good!! been thinking about doin the south island myself...never having been there.... was planning on doin that for my 21st and in the course of looking it up i found out there seems to be a stretch of road on the west coast where a petrol container is necessary due to no petrol stations...i dont know how reliable that is, so might pay to find out for sure.

have a great trip and ride safe!!
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin
    sounds good!! been thinking about doin the south island myself...never having been there.... was planning on doin that for my 21st and in the course of looking it up i found out there seems to be a stretch of road on the west coast where a petrol container is necessary due to no petrol stations...i dont know how reliable that is, so might pay to find out for sure.

have a great trip and ride safe!!
    If you are thinking of the stretch between Haast and Wanaka then its only about 150km, there is fuel at Haast and also at Wanaka,
    There are other places I am worried about fuel??

Bike
    2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin
    If you are thinking of the stretch between Haast and Wanaka then its only about 150km, there is fuel at Haast and also at Wanaka,
    There are other places I am worried about fuel??
    I believe whataroa to haast is quite a long stretch as well...

Bike
    2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
    When are you looking at doing the south island? I would be keen on doing that with a group perhaps this summer sometime... I'm from the south island, but have only ever traveled as far south as Chch, and that was in a cage.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Hi

All will be revealed in more detail soon, however it will be in Feb 07, North Island first and then into the South Island for approx 8-10 days (from memory)

I will keep you posted in this thread

Cheers

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Thread Information