Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Oiler

Bike
    2003 suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Scott Oiler

I cant get the oil to run. Have taken the unit off and removed the hose and poked wire up the nipple but no oil comes out. Any ideas

Lance
    Mad Dog

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Is the vacuum line still connected/not leaking?
    Disconnect it from the oiler end and feel for suction with the engine running.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Is there oil in it?
    Is there the right thickness oil in it?
    Is the breather hole blocked?
    Is the dial switched on position off?
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Sold
    If you turn the flow adjuster right round to the prime setting (towards the biggest number), it manually lifts the flow controller in the reservoir. Do this with the engine running. It should also do this (I think) with the engine not running and the vacuum line disconnected. Is there any flow in the feed pipe at this setting? Look all the way up the line for indicators like small air bubbles. Even if you have a large amount of air in the line, the oil should push it along.

Another check is to disconnect your vacuum line at the engine and suck on it. You should see a small degree of movement in the flow controller inside the reservoir as it lifts.

If you can give us some more feedback on your checks, hopefully we can help you some more.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Also check that the beather is not blocked. Just remove the breather from the filler while carrying out the checks that Blachbird described, if oil runs on prime put the breather back on and see if oil still runs.

Oh, one other check.... Is there any oil in the reservoir?
    Time to ride

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    i was thinking of having one of these fitted
    - i'm not always as prompt about routine maintenance as i should be

........ but this is sounding complicated?
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post

It's not complicated at all. Neither is fault-finding - it's simply hard to write in a post without feedback! Lou's comments about Pixie's alternative sounds promising too. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34109

Bike
    In between bikes
    and that's why I installed the Loobman chain oiler. It just works.
    My biggest break down has been to fit two new zip ties onto the D.S.D. head.
    Piece of cake, 5 minute job.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000

No, its not at all complicated. The Scottoiler works from the engine vacuum so that oil is only feeding while the engine is running. It consists of a small reservoir that has all the vacuum operated valve, the feed adjuster and the priming mechanism all built in. It is a simple matter to find somewhere on the bike to fit it, run a tube from the reservoir to the chain/sprocket, and another tube from the reservoir to the carburettor. I fitted mine on the VStrom in less than 90 minutes, and 30 minutes of that was just priming the tube, the very thing that Lance is having diffculty doing. That part is mainly a matter of patience.
    Time to ride

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Pixies chain oilers are custom made for each bike. The reservoir is a steel unit with an solenoid valve operating off the tail light circuit. There is an adjustable flow valve and we've been trialling a brush dispenser to feed oil onto the chain. This is working very well. Lubes as well as as a feed tube, but uses less oil and makes less mess.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    one of my worries is spending time and money only to find i'd got something that was over-oiling all over the place ..............
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin View Post
    Pixies chain oilers are custom made for each bike. The reservoir is a steel unit with an solenoid valve operating off the tail light circuit. There is an adjustable flow valve and we've been trialling a brush dispenser to feed oil onto the chain. This is working very well. Lubes as well as as a feed tube, but uses less oil and makes less mess.
    Yeah I had a look at the setup, very very nice.

What is a solenoid valve? How does one work?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    Yeah I had a look at the setup, very very nice.

What is a solenoid valve? How does one work?
    I'ts just an electric solenoid that opens a valve when you power it up. It's a lot easier to fit and set up than a vacuum system.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    SO is Pixie thinking of marketing these once they are perfected?

Bike
    cbr1000rr7 road. KTM400exc dirt.
    I had similar trouble with the old empty scott oiler that was on my bike when i got it. (didnt come with insruction book) I filled it up with non "scott" oil, some good sticky castol pour on lube, then went for a ride and barely anything had come down the feed tube when i got back.

Closer inspection revealed the twist-top flow adjuster, Ahh! i thought, set it to "prime" and away i rode, four hours later when i stoped to check, woohoo!! oil coming through now, plenty of oil on the chain.. on the chain guard, on the fairings, all over the rim, on the back tire!

So now that its primed i run it on the lowest setting and it works just right.

Thread Information