Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 640 Adventures?

Bike
    CBR250RR, 640Adventure, R1

Used 640 Adventures?

Hi all, my mates dirty 1150GS looks like fun so I've been thinking about trading one of my sportsbikes for an adventure bike.

I have a few questions for you:
    Are there many used KTM 640 Adventures about in NZ? A KTM dealer told me they don't bring in many officially, I'm not sure if there are any japanese imports about? I don't really want a new one because I'll fall over lots, so pre scratched would be better.

Failing that, how much would you expect to pay for a used (carbed is fine) F650GS Dakar with reasonable k's (not sure what reasonable is for that engine though?)?

Also, has anyone had experience with getting their japanese imports serviced at official BMW and KTM dealers?

Cheers

Bike
    2009 Ducati Streetfighter
    I know it's not an Adventurer but I've got an KTM 640E with an 18ltr tank that I would like to sell to a good home !!
    As mad as a spider, and twice as hairy !

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

Another candidate

You seem to be missing one other excellent bike in this sector - the Honda Transalp. Depends a bit on what sort of riding you plan to do. I have a 2001 650 T/Alp which I bought off Trademe for $8500 with 23,000km on it. The older 600's come up occaisonally for under $6K. I use mine on gravel roads allthe time. It has much better weather protection than the KTM or F650, has a much more comfortable seat than the KTM, excellent lights and a very torquey easy to ride motor. Don't get hung up on peak power figures for these bikes, torques where its at if you are going to use it as an adventure bike.
    If you want to get off road and really rough then the KTM and then the F650 would be better - but if you're going to do that then get a road legal serious dirt bike, or get a cheap KDX 200 or something as well as your adventure bike.
    We're planning a trip around the South Island going over every road pass on gravel and sealed roads - for a trip like this the Transalp is an easy first choice.
    Good luck

Bike
    .......?
    You need to decide whether you want a bike that can handle gravel as well as seal or a bike that can handle the forest as well as gravel and seal. Bikes such as the Transalp or V-Strom are fine but don't like being dropped. Bikes such as the KTM 640 and DSR650 can be thrown down the trail and picked up again with very little damage. You will at some point drop it....

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    The 640Adv's are like rockinghorse faeces. Dunno about the cost of a Dakar but there are far more around. They're both good rigs, the 640 is a lot more dirt worthy & droppable than the Dakar, which is far more comfy on the road. The '03's & '04's are the best of the 640's.

If you are looking at these you should also look at other bikes: The 640 Enduro KTM, there are more of these around than the Adv's, & with the bolt on 18 litre tank & a windscreen they are functionally very similar to the 640Adv, a lot of the '02's came with the big tank std, The KLR650, a good package, less bling but less $$ too, the DR650, the XT600 & even the 650 Transalp.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    I'm with Clint - get an LC4E. There are plenty around and lots with 18l tanks. You can even buy accessories cheaply - a gel seat for an LC4 is $189! That's the whole seat!

If you really want to go adventure riding with more than a little off road stuff, DON'T buy an F650. I had one and would hate for anyone to repeat my mistake (i.e by thinking it was anything more than a gravel road wannabe).

The TransAlp is also an excellent adventure scooter.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    if you are a short arse or have no experience off road then go for something as light as possible (DR650? or a 400/450 or even a 250) with as many solid protectors as possible (engine, radiator, bark busters). You WILL fall off, unless you are being a total panzy and not even bothering to try ride.

Even though frequent off's don't usually hurt that much I would also strap on some added armour to yourself knees and elbows really important, kidney and shoulders also help.

The others are right, the bigger more plastic 650's are good gravel not good off road. You can take them off road but be prepared to use a bit of brute force. A lighter bike for your first 1 to 2 years on gravel / off road is really good because you will be able to get the confidence to really step it out and push the envelope. I started on an F650 then went to an XT400 which really helped me understand how to ride the F650. Now I have a Transalp which, for me, is a road and sometimes gravel bike.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4

+1 for the LC4E

I've got a new LC4 Adventure. It's an awesome bike, but if I was buying again I'd probably go for the LC4E with the 18L tank and comfort seat - it's a more versatile combo for less $$$. The A is also taller in the saddle than the E. The '03-on As get the 950-based front end which is less dirt-worthy than the E setup.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Sorry forgot to add; up to '04 they only brought one LC4 Adventure in each year; '05 there was two. '06? dunno, but one has been sold already.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Thanks for the replies everybody,

I do about 10km of gravel a day commuting on my sportsbikes and I find them okay for that, so I'm thinking of something more towards the offroad end of the spectrum.

I didn't know that you could get the 640 Enduro with a big tank, very interesting. Not much demand for used street bikes up here so it would be much easier to buy from a dealer, but thanks for the offer Dazza.

I'll have to testride some bikes I think (I've only ridden the dakar so far, which wasn't bad (but BMW won't trade my japanese bike)). Thanks all.

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf
    I've got a new LC4 Adventure. It's an awesome bike, but if I was buying again I'd probably go for the LC4E with the 18L tank and comfort seat - it's a more versatile combo for less $$$. The A is also taller in the saddle than the E. The '03-on As get the 950-based front end which is less dirt-worthy than the E setup.
    Strange that you say that WareWolf and thanks, that makes me feel better.

I really like my 640E and have sometimes wondered if I would be better off with the Adventure.

But are not to sure how the extra fairing would take the knocks (crashers)
    And all though the tank is real large, you do not have to fill it to the top, do you.

And I would like to get a 18L tank to feel that I have more fuel in reserve on some rides.
    And that should make me happier as it would be a sort of a cross over bike between them both.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by lemans
    But are not to sure how the extra fairing would take the knocks (crashers)
    I've never really thought about the "headlight mask" as a fairing. From the photos I've seen on advrider thumpers, the tank takes all the hits and acts as radiator guards. The A also has handguards to protect the levers and a bash plate - all standard.

Quote Originally Posted by lemans
    And all though the tank is real large, you do not have to fill it to the top, do you.
    Nup, try to keep the level only at what you need.

Coming back from the Brass, we filled at Kurow, went via Black Forest Station, MacKenzie Pass, Burke Pass to Fairlie. Next day I headed off up SH72? (the inland road via Mt Hutt) and eventually filled at Cheviot...482km for the tank.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by CBobR

I didn't know that you could get the 640 Enduro with a big tank, very interesting. Not much demand for used street bikes up here so it would be much easier to buy from a dealer, but thanks for the offer Dazza.
    AMPS had a new 04 640E going for a steal in this months bikemart, patterson o'connor in rotorua had a low k's one the last time I was there but they wanted more $ than AMPS were after for the new one

If you buy one from a KTM dealer & it's only got the 12L tank, put the hard word on them for a discount on the 18L version while you're doing the deal.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Found this:
    http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/De...rcycletradernz
    sweet looking 640 Adventure

I've drafted an ad for my zx

Thanks Clint. I had a quick look at AMPS on the weekend. I didn't stay long but I think the new 04 LC4 was sold, as was their cheaper 950. They had a not yet run in GO! which was very nice but too much for me.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Meh.

DRZ400 now has a 28 litre tank, not too sure what to think about it, but its improved the userability somewhat. Started off with a 10 litre tank and was needing to carry an extra fuel can on the pack rack. Will be nice to actually be able to put a pack on it and off my back.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Thread Information