Thread: Top-of-the-South long weekend -- Part 2

Bike
    None any more

Cool Top-of-the-South long weekend -- Part 2

The first peek out the window on Saturday morning revealed a light drizzle. By the time we were ready to depart some heavy rain had set in. We both quite enjoy wet weather riding and we have enough confidence in our gear by now to know that neither we nor our luggage will get wet. The rain eased and finally cleared during our ascent of the Lewis Pass. Besides being wet, it had also been cool, but the scenery had been quite ethereal.

The run down from the top of the Lewis Pass, through Maruia Springs to Springs Junction is a mixture of great road and stunning scenery. Most of this ride is in mature beech forest from road edge to road edge. As well as breathtaking to view, it is also great to smell!

By Springs Junction the sun was out in earnest, so we were able to shed and stow most of our wets.

After a brief stretch, we were back on the bikes and off to Reefton. More great road and beech forest, finally opening out onto dairy farms, Crushington, Blacks Point and then the metropolis that is Reefton. We gassed up prior to heading north to Inangahua Junction. This valley contains the best farming land on the West Coast, which is framed between two bush-clad ranges that slowly converge upon Inangahua and the Buller Gorge. We headed right, up the upper Buller Gorge to Murchison.

More breathtaking scenery, although it was very cool in the shade. So much so that emerging into sunlit areas caused immediate visor and mirror fogging! On this ride I became aware that since leaving Hanmer earlier in the morning we had seen less than 10 other vehicles in motion – in either direction. This also adds greatly to the appeal of South Island riding.

Murchison was putting on its best face in the afternoon sun. We gassed, coffeed and fooded at the Criterion Hotel before setting off for Nelson. WARNING!! Never buy coffee at the Murchison tea rooms…

The ride from Murchison to Nelson is a real favourite of ours. Mrs H took the lead and set a brisk pace until our rendezvous with biker friend Chris at Kohatu Junction. Chris has recently become the proud owner of a white Honda GL1500 Goldwing – with all the fruit! Woodpaneled dashboard, stereo, ride-off mainstand, luggage rack, pillion armrests, rider backrest, reverse gear, oscillating headlight, driving lights, yada yada yada. We were both very impressed with his new ride and followed the “mother ship” back to Nelson.

Saturday night was the Brumbies/Crusaders Super 12 final. And we were in Crusaders’ Country. Enough said… Other than Ben Blair is apparently walking home, via Equador, and is not expected prior to Christmas 2007…

On Sunday morning Chris had a ring around some of his Nelson biker mates and arranged a rendezvous for a ride across to Marlborough over the Whangamoas, this time with his wife Chrissy as pillion. We arrived at the service station to be greeted by four other Goldwings, all GL1800s (three yellow, one black) and a Harley. This was surely the most ostentatious convoy of bikes in which we had ever ridden. Great fun though!

The weather in Nelson was superb, but changed dramatically from the top of the Whangamoas. At Havelock the rain had only passed through moments earlier, but we were fortunately spared.

We stopped for lunch at the Wairau River vineyard, which had a very efficient open fireplace, around which even the Wingnuts gathered to shed their gear! Another nice lunch, gewurtztraminer and biker company. All too soon we were waving farewell to some great Nelsonians and heading off into the murk to catch the ferry.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Great write up Hitcher... looks like you've settled my Xmas holiday plans already. It'll be a bit tough on the Gixxer, but nothing a new Ventura rack and bag wouldn't fix.

Good on ya
    Team Brehaut Racing - VMCC/MNZ #67
    supported by Team Brehaut Racing, GARAGE Espresso, TSS Red Baron, Walker & McLuskie Ltd, Porirua Auto Crash Repairs,
    Jackson Van Interiors, Super Save Cars, Supreme Screens Ltd, & Slotmedia.co.nz

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    A great write-up as always Mr H. Thanks.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    It somehow feels wrong doing this to someone who had a great time and was kind enough to share it with us, but here goes: YOU BASTARD! STOP GOING ON GREAT RIDES AND THEN BRAGGING ABOUT IT.

I'm going to sulk all day now. I'm going to pick a target and just rip its head off all day.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-4
    Mr Hitcher would you kindly share your wisdom with me (us) about your visor cleaning methods? I noticed in part one you mentioned something about pledge to wipe the sea spray off your visor. Whats the go?
    - You better arrest me, I have a weapon of mass seduction -

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_elvey
    Mr Hitcher would you kindly share your wisdom with me (us) about your visor cleaning methods? I noticed in part one you mentioned something about pledge to wipe the sea spray off your visor. Whats the go?
    Household polish Pledge, in the aerosol can and a soft cloth. Spray on, wipe off. It's that simple! The US Air Force uses Pledge (it also goes by another name) to clean the screens of aircraft. The silicon fills fine cracks and water beads off nicely in the rain! The cans are small enough to easily fit in a tank bag.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Stopped off at the supermarket to get some Pledge and noted they are selling packets of ipregnated wipes. There's a new version which has orange citrus something in it (smells nice) and are so they include five free ones for the regular price. Comes in a ziplock bag for easy storage on the bike. I used one on the helmet visor and it cleaned it up nicely.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX-4
    Cheers. Will try
    - You better arrest me, I have a weapon of mass seduction -

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403
    Stopped off at the supermarket to get some Pledge and noted they are selling packets of ipregnated wipes. There's a new version which has orange citrus something in it (smells nice) and are so they include five free ones for the regular price. Comes in a ziplock bag for easy storage on the bike. I used one on the helmet visor and it cleaned it up nicely.
    Oooh! Must buy some...

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Just got around to reading your write ups - fantastic! Can't wait until my summer break & my sth island trip!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Thread Information