Thread: Visor fog insert life

Bike
    none for now

Visor fog insert life

Last winter I brought a visor fog insert (oxford) and put it on a brand new visor. Im pretty confident that I got a good seal and it worked well. This winter it doesn't seem to be working very well at all. I'm not even convinced that it is better than the visor would be anyway. It still appears to have a seal. I expect a bit of fogging at low speed, but when I ride on the open road in the cold particularly at night I have to really slow down my breathing to prevent the fogging or open the visor slightly but it snaps shut at about 100kmh anyway. Anyone else find that the fog inserts dont last.

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Mine is a Fog City insert.
    I'm not convinced the seal is particularly great but it has lasted a year no problems at all. Still working well.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    All of them
    I got 2 winters out of a fog city - seal and fogging not the issue - scratches and wear and tear made it cloudy.

Shoei's pinlock system is my preferred option now.

Bike
    CBR150 Bucket
    Pinlock is absolutely brilliant on my X-lite. But, the insert tends to rub against the visor when you open and close it. Eventually it scratches it enough to be unuseable.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Had a Pro grip, which I liked and a Fog City which wasn't as good, IMO.
    I did find a bit of a problem with sun strike though, the inserts seem to exacerbate the effect, somewhat.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    try cleaning the thing mine stopped working but a little clean with a paper towel and water fixed it right up!

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    I bought a Uvex helmet, they NEVER fog. brilliant

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    1986 Suzuki GN250
    I put in a Progrip fog insert this week. The instructions say to replace annually

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    I have one which is still good after about 3 years. I got one of those breath deflector things that jams into the front of the helmets chinpiece(inside the visor ) and have no worries
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Bike
    2007 ZX6R Racebike
    yep.. have an oxford as well and previously had a fog city one. I found that the Oxford wasn't as good with its sticky seal only on the edge.

The Fog city was much better in all but the extreme slow city riding in rain situations.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    I have one which is still good after about 3 years. I got one of those breath deflector things that jams into the front of the helmets chinpiece(inside the visor ) and have no worries

Those breath deflector wotsits - do they fit most helmets? What do they cost?
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    2005,suzuki,marauder vz800
    should'nt the vents in your helmet prevent your visor from fogging up.

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by diggydog
    should'nt the vents in your helmet prevent your visor from fogging up.
    You would think so but I guess the nose is pretty close to visor and the warm breathed air wins...generally I find when moving the vents work but not when you stop.

My Fogcity works well...not a 100% seal but good enough

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    I got mine off a mate- he didnt want it in his, so sorry, I'm no help there
    Just scrounge round any generous KBers in your neck of the woods or ask at your local bike shop
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Thread Information