Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking about needing support....

Bike
    2006 F650GS

Talking about needing support....

Hi

As a complete novice when it comes to adventure riding, does anyone want to share their experiences, or hints on how to stop getting a sore butt when riding long distances, day after day on seats that arent really made for comfort??

I know from experience the ole butt gets a little tender after a few hours in the seat off road, and I stand up a bit offroad, so I guess if I was sitting on it longer and further it could get quite uncomfortable.

Should we be training for larger distances? is it something that you get "used" to after a while?

I see some riders have sheepskin covers, does this make a difference?

Cheers

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Stop often,you need to check the sights,take photos and stuff.Stand up through every small town,or where the going is slow enough to allow you to stand up for a few kms,stretch at the same time.A sheepskin is good....and can supply comfort on lonely nights too.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Use a kidney belt!
    especially if your long distance involves some rough stuff.

and the sheep skin helps too. Don't bother with a specially fitted one, a throw over, tuck in and bungee works really well, fast to get on and off when it starts to rain. your local sheepskin place should do you one for $50-$60
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    Use a kidney belt!

and the sheep skin helps too. Don't bother with a specially fitted one, a throw over, tuck in and bungee works really well, fast to get on and off when it starts to rain. your local sheepskin place should do you one for $50-$60
    hmmm.. i'll have to think about looking at one of those.. although I should be fine (aka: too hard-arsed to spend money at the moment, trying to save for a better bike)
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    Use a kidney belt!

Hi

Thanks for that hint about the kidney belt, I had never thought about that (see I told you I was a novice)

Cheers

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Some people use pushbike pants on bikes with little or narrow seats too.
    I find i like a little more padding on the CRF230, but the Transalp is pretty good as it come although not as nice as the old CBR1000F was.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    I found having a windscreen to be a great thing for distance comfort, takes the load off the arms, & means I can stand up at 100km/h comfortably. As Motu said standing up often, right from the start of the day, is important.

x2 on the kidney belt also.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    As Motu said standing up often, right from the start of the day, is important.

How would you know if Motu was standing up or not?

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    A sheepskin is good....and can supply comfort on lonely nights too.
    Yep, take a sheep with ya, especially on the overnight rides. Comfy to sit on for the ride there, although they wriggle a bit which can be a bugger in the corners, warm and ... ahhhh ... "entertaining" through the night, although the "marbles" are a bit of a bugger in the tent, and if you get hungry you can always rig up an impromptu spit roast.

But if you don't want to take a live one, the ol sheepskin is good. I use one on the longer rides to rallies, lotsa comfort on the way there, it's a pillow for the night, and for the likes of the Brass Monkey use it as a woollen underlay under the sleeping bag. Don't get a fitted one, use the whole thing, try a factory 2nds shop or something like that. Make sure you bungy the front down or the wind blows it back under your arse when you stand up.

I also wear padded push bike shorts under my pants. The DR has a hard seat, and I've softened mine.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    I stand up when going down the main road of a small town.

Also play with your suspension, too soft and my butt goes to sleep and gets sore, while too stiff jars my back...
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by thehollowmen
    I stand up when going down the main road of a small town.

Also play with your suspension, too soft and my butt goes to sleep and gets sore, while too stiff jars my back...
    I think i heard somewhere that increasing the rebound damping of the rear shock helps your back.
    But i don't know that for sure.

Bike
    XJR1300/EC250/SRX600/TLR250/MuZ660/KLX45
    I had an XR650R - the answer to seat comfort for this particular bike on adventure rides was adding a flat piece of wood with nails sticking up to the seat.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper
    I think i heard somewhere that increasing the rebound damping of the rear shock helps your back.

Where did you hear that?
    A Chiropractor?

Most dirt bikes are set up far too hard.
    Our old maxim was that if your suspension didn't bottom out once a lap, you weren't using what you'd paid for. In other words, what's the point of 270mm of shock travel if only 150mm got used?

One problem is with progressive suspension setups (like those found on the back of most dirtscooters) is that a soft setup can make the suspension go stiffer. Confused? If you have too much sag in the rear, the shock will lever past its soft section and only ever use the hard stuff...

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper
    I've heard the opposite...if you are feeling every bump in the base of your spine, it's a sign you need to decrease your compression damping. (Most rebound adjusters also affect compression by about 1/10th as much.)

But on the other hand, if you have too much rebound, the suspension will pack down over a series of bumps (eg corrugations) and you will certainly feel it in your back then!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Guy that told me was refering to sealed road touring and i think the idea is that the bike didn't kick (to exagerate) back upwards after the suspension has compressed on a bump.
    But yes, now that you mention it, I can imagine the "suspension will pack down over a series of bumps" becomming an issue on a trail.

Thread Information