View Poll Results: Which heated grips???

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oxford heated grips for $119

16 84.21%
  • Go with the motomail one for $109 + shipping

3 15.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which heated grips??? Yeah! first real thread in this forum!

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo
    ELECTRIC VEST..... mmmmm was i all warm and cosy...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith
    Nice Where do you get those????
    So yes, where do you get a heated vest from?... for the missus again of course.

Bike
    '93 Kwaka ZZR400, GSX400X impulse
    I have Oxford heated grips, took me 1 hour to fit and another hour to figure out where to take the power from. $99 from Botany Honda.
    I decided to take current from ignition acc.
    When on full they are too hot but I generally use them on No. 2.
    I ended up getting some winter gloves too
    The headlight does flicker slightly on idle when on. Have had no problem with battery.

1 don't run them from the battery, always use ignition source.
    2 when removing old grips if you don't want to cut them, use a spoon handle and slide it around the bar. Once the air gets under and glue is broken the grips just slide off.
    3 I did not glue the grips on as they fitted so well but when the throttle one got hot it started slipping,(bike was slowing down) I need to put a small about of glue around the bar.

Very happy with them
    Work Harder
    Millions on welfare and ACC depend on you!

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    Just got the grips today and fitted them and I'm very happy with it!

I have blisters on my hand now from trying to fit them (it was very tight fit...) and I took them from ignition as well, didn't have enough space on handle bars to fit the switch so had to fit it on the "inner fairing" (the black bit around speedo, etc.) will post some pics tomorrow if I have time.
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Oxford do make the blanket thingies, but as has been said previously they also make the other (proper) heated grips.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    95 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE

Smile Grips are So yesterday.....

After suffering from frozen fingers once too often I looked at the option of heated grips for my minter '81 GS1000G. In my view the grips looked out of place on the bike, but my problem was solved when I found that a guy in Nelson has developed heating units which fit INSIDE the handlebars. They use less 'trickery than an indicator bulb, are easy to fit, are under $100 and work BLOODY BRILLIANTLY!!! I sold the gs1000 for a 95 Wing, and the ONLY extra I have added to it are a set of these beauties. The great thing is that they are invisable and the (small) switch is easily hidden and easy to operate using gloves, so if you have an older or a custom bike, nobody needs to know they are even there..... There are no wires being flexed every time you wring the chicken's neck, so nothing that will eventually fail. Thunderbike in Nelson stock them or know how to get them if there are none left in stock, as the guy who makes them sends most to the States for snowmobiles. And it's not about being a woosie - having toaste warm hands means I can ride throughout the year no matter how cold it is.

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    Quote Originally Posted by gladrock
    And it's not about being a woosie - having toaste warm hands means I can ride throughout the year no matter how cold it is.
    Totally agree!
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    A Blade or two
    I wonder how the internal heater would go with clip on bars and weights. Any idea of the diameter of the heater?
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
    BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith
    Nice Where do you get those????

Do they give you a nice jolt whenever you're getting tired too?
    mine were made in nelson, by Qht industries (think they are in vanguard street)...both my X and i used size S.. but with mine i had to cut the arm holes larger, i did this myself,

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin
    I wonder how the internal heater would go with clip on bars and weights. Any idea of the diameter of the heater?
    i used these on my gsx750 esd, took out weights, slotted in heaters, drilled sm hole in bars.... replace weights... mmmmm warm hands

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    A Blade or two
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo
    i used these on my gsx750 esd, took out weights, slotted in heaters, drilled sm hole in bars.... replace weights... mmmmm warm hands
    Now you have me interested.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by gladrock
    After suffering from frozen fingers once too often I looked at the option of heated grips for my minter '81 GS1000G. In my view the grips looked out of place on the bike, but my problem was solved when I found that a guy in Nelson has developed heating units which fit INSIDE the handlebars. They use less 'trickery than an indicator bulb, are easy to fit, are under $100 and work BLOODY BRILLIANTLY!!!
    Warning. These in-bar units mean you can't fit your bar-end counterweights. They also require a home to be drilled into the bar to let the wiring in. This creates a rust spot. They also take quite a bit longer to heat up than do the Daytonas. However they do mean you can retain your standard grips, if that's your thing.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Yea, looked at those myself but i decided i'd better not use them on my bikes because they all have stuff stuffed up the end of the bars already... ie my Barkbuster handguards on the Transalp and endweights on the missus GSX.

Bike
    A Blade or two
    Good point, may be best not to remove the weights. Thanks for the advice.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin
    Now you have me interested.
    just a note, my weights were hanging off the end of the bar, no weights were on the inside of the bars...
    i was up north in 87, crusing around and lost one weight while on a gravel rd, didn't know till i hit the seal... and after 20ks of gravel, i was NOT going to go look for it... they need weights...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    Hmmm my zzr doesn't even have end bar weights, the bat it self is rounded at the end so that there is no hole to put the weights in.
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Thread Information