Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up for adventure riding

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Get an old inner tube and cut it into rubber bands - it's amazing how handy they can be.
    Just be careful when coasting along no handed while trying to flick rubberbands at your mates....

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Just be careful when coasting along no handed while trying to flick rubberbands at your mates....
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Here's my suggestions, agree or not as you wish ...

Delete from list
    Spare Bike Key - how often have you lost your vehicle keys ?
    Spare lock keys - as above
    Kidney Belt - you wont be riding that aggressively carrying all this shit.
    Waterproof stuff sack for tent etc - see below
    Waterproof liners for Panniers - see below
    Tie downs for attaching things to - Tie downs are overkill, except to secure the bike on the ferry.
    Cables (brake, clutch and throttle) - do your maintenance and these shouldn’t break
    Spare clutch and Brake lever - see below
    Fire Extinguisher - highly unlikely to need, why bother
    Intercom (rider to rider) – more of a novelty, stop for a chat if you have to, you’ve got 20 days
    Spare rechargeable batteries (and charger for these items) - not needed, I’ve deleted the items that use them for you
    GPS - not needed, I understand there are no maps for the back country of NZ anyway
    GPS mount – not needed, I’ve deleted your GPS for you

Add to list
    Council rubbish bags - They make good bag liners. They’re larger and stronger than supermarket bags and you can put your tent inside 1 or 2 of them if needed.

A warehouse blue tarpaulin - they’re cheap, light, and can be rigged up as extra rain protection in bad weather so you can get out of your tent for cooking etc.

Bungies - They’re good for tying stuff onto your bike like your sheepskin, tent etc and also useful for securing the tarpaulin as above. Buy a pack from The Warehouse.

Barkbusters - Fit them to your bike, then you won’t break your levers.

Compass - It’s a good companion for your map if you get disoriented

Whistle - It’s a damn site easier to hear than you yelling if you get injured and need to summon help, and requires a lot less effort to use if you’re in a bad way.

Some suggestions.
    Chuck out some of the crappy tools that come with your bike, and replace them with decent quality multi use tools. For example, replace the standard cheap and nasty pliers with a small pair of long nose vice grip pliers, these also have a wire cutter on them. When you do any work on your bike at home, use the tool kit you carry with you on the bike, then you’ll soon find what’s missing.

Before doing the big trip, do a few weekend trips and take note of what you haven’t used and can therefore leave behind.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue
    Here's my suggestions, agree or not as you wish ...

Delete from list
    Spare Bike Key - how often have you lost your vehicle keys ?
    Spare lock keys - as above
    Kidney Belt - you wont be riding that aggressively carrying all this shit.
    Waterproof stuff sack for tent etc - see below
    Waterproof liners for Panniers - see below
    Tie downs for attaching things to - Tie downs are overkill, except to secure the bike on the ferry.
    Cables (brake, clutch and throttle) - do your maintenance and these shouldn’t break
    Spare clutch and Brake lever - see below
    Fire Extinguisher - highly unlikely to need, why bother
    Intercom (rider to rider) – more of a novelty, stop for a chat if you have to, you’ve got 20 days
    Spare rechargeable batteries (and charger for these items) - not needed, I’ve deleted the items that use them for you
    GPS - not needed, I understand there are no maps for the back country of NZ anyway
    Hey there

In regards to some of the stuff you have deleted, I already have, so might as well use em if I ave em (waterproof liners)

The GPS - I will take the GPS, I know how they work and when they dont work, I know how to work them, they dont take up much space, I have a special map on them so I can use them for auto routing (not like a Navman) and have a pc based map program so I can use it for the trails to
    Most of all, when you have had to save someone elses life (in which I have had to do) it is a very useful tool, and I consider it part of my survival kit, anything that I consider life saving equipments when off the beaten track goes. I guess the fire extingusher fits here to, they are small (but a pain to mount anywhere), I dont think the bikes catch fire very often, but what about things like cooking, or other cars etc

Keys - Reminder there are 2 of us travelling so the other bikes "Spare keys"will be on their key ring, knowing my luck I would lose my keys somewhere remote, then what!!

You are right about some of the tools and levers.
    Thanks heaps

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue
    Have to disagree with the gps... whilst not essential, and possibly usless on the trip it can save the conversation (note NOT necessarily phone call)
    "Hi, my mate fell off"
    "Where?"
    "Urr... on the hill"
    "Which hill"
    "Urr, the one on the way to blah"

Instead the conversation goes like this:
    "Hi, my mate fell off"
    "Where?"
    " 41° 6'34.02"S 174°53'31.46"E"
    "Ok, the chopper is on it's way"

The GPS is also a fun toy which you can use to auto document your adventure, especially if you are somewhat geeky in nature. or just have a bad memory.

So, if you have the room, carry it, just don't expect it to tell you which direction to go in (but the garmin V does a good job if you are on the road).
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin
    Keys - Reminder there are 2 of us travelling so the other bikes "Spare keys"will be on their key ring, knowing my luck I would lose my keys somewhere remote, then what!!

You are right about some of the tools and levers.
    Thanks heaps
    A key at the end of the day is not big or heavy, so if you feel better carry a spare, do so.

I have been on trips where we have had to play, find the key in all the pockets and gear and it is not fun.
    It has been found in a rolled up tent.
    The key is always some where safe and does turn up, but you can waste 1/2 an hour to an hour to find it. (and that does piss the rest of the group off)
    And if that 1/2 an hour makes you late for the Ferry you are in the shit.

I work on my bikes out of the tools I carry so to see if I carry the right tools.

Even though I have Bark Busters I still carry a clutch lever taped to the frame under the seat, just in case. (could tape bolt etc to the bash plate)
    You can ride out of the bush slowly with out one brake.
    But try and ride with out a clutch, in and out off trees and up and down hill and out of bog holes.
    On the road it's not to bad, but in the bush you have to keep finding flat or down hill tracks and get help to push and restart the bike so you can take off.
    And that gets old real quick, trust me and pushing/towing a bike up hill is not fun, because the track/road are to narrow to start them down hill so they can do a U turn.

I carry to much gear so I'm told.
    And when there is a break down, guess who's tool kit gets used.
    That's when I get my own back.

As you can see on a other thread we do not look like we are carry to much gear.
    And remember that you can spread the gear around.
    After all you only (in a group) have to carry one of every thing.
    Not three sets of tire levers pumps and spanners.
    Every one should carry one tube and their bikes (not all the same) and a spare spark plug.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    Have to disagree with the gps... whilst not essential, and possibly usless on the trip it can save the conversation (note NOT necessarily phone call)
    "Hi, my mate fell off"
    "Where?"
    "Urr... on the hill"
    "Which hill"
    "Urr, the one on the way to blah"

Instead the conversation goes like this:
    "Hi, my mate fell off"
    "Where?"
    " 41° 6'34.02"S 174°53'31.46"E"
    "Ok, the chopper is on it's way"

The GPS is also a fun toy which you can use to auto document your adventure, especially if you are somewhat geeky in nature. or just have a bad memory.

So, if you have the room, carry it, just don't expect it to tell you which direction to go in (but the garmin V does a good job if you are on the road).
    That is exactly what happened to me, hence why whenever I travel, regardless of whether it is by bike or car, I carry it
    I was on a 4wd trip with a small group a few years back, we were on a private property in the South Island, when the truck behind me (I was the leader) got to close to the edge of the bank, the bank gave way and the over he went, he rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled......
    The first I knew was the radio call, so we raced down the bank (which was very steep, until we reached the truck, which was now almost flat, the female passenger was injured but not seriously we managed to get her out the back door, but the same could not be said for the driver!!
    So as we were in a remote area, there was no cell ph coverage, so one of us had to continue on until we could contact the rescue services. I used the GPS for the co ords and carried on the track, I also stopped where I thought would be a good place for the copter to land nearby. (this would prove very valuable), It took me about 45 mins to reach a place I could use a cell phone, made the call and they took the co-ords, I was then called back by the copter base crew to check the co-ords, they told me to wait in cell coverage until they were in the accident scene.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, if it wasnt for the GPS that day, we think the driver of the trauck would not be with us today! That was almost 2 years ago and he is still on the road to recovery.

Thats why I carry a GPS, not always for me, but you never know what you may find around the corner!

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Almost forgot the single most useful accessory....

an umbrella!

It is shade when the sun shines.
    It is shelter when it rains.
    It is saviour from the wind.

Never leave on a long trip without one.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Get an old inner tube and cut it into rubber bands - it's amazing how handy they can be.

Sex sex sex - it's all you ever think about.

What about coming up with 500 words on this topic and submitting it to kiwi rider, some of you blokes - Merv?

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Just thinking about the Soft Panniers again

Has anyone ever had a problem with them getting into the back wheel, or equally as bad catching on fire from them being to close to the exhaust??

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Don't end up like these two munters
    Why do you think they are munters???
    I seem to think they are ok, they lived a dream, they probably managed to get most of it funded from sponsors
    They raised quite a considerable amount of cash for those less fortunate
    and
    They put adventure riding on the world map??

I am confused??

I probably wouldnt like them if I was jealous of what they achieved, but I am struggling to think of any other major reason why I would like them?

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro

Has anyone ever had a problem with them getting into the back wheel, or equally as bad catching on fire from them being to close to the exhaust??
    If you are solo on the bike the panniers should sit well forward so there's no chance of them getting into the wheel. If they are too close to the exhaust you need to make a rack to keep them away a bit, or as someone said, if they are pressing the sidepanel into the pipe put a bumper between the pipe & the plastic.

Charley & Ewan were munters 'cos with little dirt experience, they chose the biggest heaviest bikes they could find to travel lots of shitty roads on & loaded them to buggery even though they had support vehicles. Then complained how hard it was. It was good for a laugh & they did do some good, but there's probably a trip report on Advrider every few weeks that would be far more worthy of being made into TV.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    Charley & Ewan were munters 'cos with little dirt experience, they chose the biggest heaviest bikes they could find to travel lots of shitty roads on & loaded them to buggery even though they had support vehicles. Then complained how hard it was. It was good for a laugh & they did do some good, but there's probably a trip report on Advrider every few weeks that would be far more worthy of being made into TV.
    I thoroughly enjoyed The Long Way Round but it buggered my mind why they would practise dirt riding on F650GS Dakars and then set forth on R1100GS's.

The Silk Riders chose a fleet of F650GS Dakars for their journey along the Silk Road because their research deemed it to be the most appropriate bike for the task. I do not know if the F650GS would be the most appropriate bike for the route Charley and Ewan took, but I suspect it would be better than what they took - lighter, more manoeuvrable, less carrying capacity ( = less crap on the bikes and more in the support vehicles, it'd force them to pack light).

I admire what Charley and Ewan did and I applaud them for giving Adventure Riding a higher profile in the minds of the general public, but I think they made some stupid choices along the way and I bloody-near cried every time I saw them struggling like mad trying to get their bikes out of the river or the mud or pick them up - because it was so bloody unnecessary!

Fucking near pissed myself when their cameraman (aka "the least organised adventurer on the planet") had to ride a Russian motorbike after he buggered his R1100 and he went tootling past Charley and Ewan while they were buried bloody-near up to their tanks in a bog. They should have ditched half their gear and the R1100s and grabbed a couple more of those Russian bikes.

Personally I'd go with as small and as light a bike as I could get away with and still carry the essentials - the decreased carrying capacity would ensure I only carried essentials. Neat tricks like: Instead of the entire Snap-On tool range, carry only the tools required to repair your bike and get dual- or multi-purpose ones where possible - like the tyre irons that incorporate six-point ring spanners in various sizes (the set also has a socket adapter for one of the rings so you can use the tyre irons and a selection of sockets to take apart bloody-near anything).

I've compiled lists based on what other people have taken on their world tours (Sjaak Lucassen's list for his R1 World Tour, various lists on the Horizons Unlimited site etc) and then modified (read "thinned down") those lists based on where I hope to travel (New Zealand first, then Europe later when I can afford it) and my personal experience of camping/tramping and lengthy bike rides. Even then, I suspect that if I assembled the equipment I have listed for a European tour, I'd be forced to ruthlessly cull a lot of weight and mass to fit it on the bike.

Deciding things in advance based on best possible research is paramount - like where you'll stay en route (budget and availability can be deciding factors), what sort of roads you'll be on (and the risks they entail = what sort of bike to take and what spares are likely to be needed) and all the travel information, risks and hazards (do I pack the snake-bite kit and anti-malaria meds, do I need a bullet proof vest and armoured fuel tank?) and legal requirements (safety vests and warning triangles for every vehicle driving/riding in the Czech Republic, for example) for the area you will be traversing.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    but there's probably a trip report on Advrider every few weeks that would be far more worthy of being made into TV.
    ... or on http://www.horizonsunlimited.com
    Motorbike only search

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500

When I melted the sidecover against the exhaust, I also burnt the sheepskin that was against the muffler as well, but the soft pannier itself was fine, other than having some melted sidecover plastic stuck to it - it's still there as a reminder. Never had a problem with the bags getting near the well, keep them mounted as high as you can.

I've seen a mates pannier on his road bike get a big hole worn in it from the wheel though - and he'd only borrowed them for the weekend too

Thread Information