Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up for adventure riding

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    You know i'm bored when i start taking pic's of the "Adaptor Kit".
    Pretty much, what you see is what goes on the Scrambler if i'm going for a long day ride, or for 5day round the block ride.
    It gets adapted as need be, and the small black vinyl bag goes with the Daytona, but is fitted out with special torx screws etc.
    If i still can't get mobile, there is a "special" pill tucked out of site for extreme needs.
    Dib Dib Dib, Dob Dob Dob.
    or if you like the 5 "p"s. Perfect Preperation Prevents piss poor Performance.

Bag is an old camera bag. Survives dust, tumbles, and the ocassional dunking.

Contents displayed.

Daytona day kit.

Mish mash of murphy's essentials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_1206Scrambler0012.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	79311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_1206Scrambler0013.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	79312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_1206Scrambler0014.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	79313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007_1206Scrambler0015.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	79314  

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    the small black vinyl bag goes with the Daytona
    Ever found a need for the second big allen key? Contrary to the handbook instructions, it's not needed to adjust the drive chain tension. I never carry the second one, it weighs a ton!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    On a couple of ocassions in Oz, the adjusters got out of alignment, so now i just carry both. I hear what ya saying though.
    Theyr'e great for squashing big cockcroaches, using the crc and a lighter does a good cremation job also.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Triboy, instead of carrying a bulky full can of CRC, I now carry a small can of WD-40 I got at the Warehouse for a few bucks, lasts for many trips and doesn't take up much space.

Although you won't be able to cremate too many cockroaches with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0024.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	79320  
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Trust me, when you own a Triumph Scrambler, a 44gallon drum of the stuff isn't an overkill.

Dude. whats with the can of ether? That shit should only be found in the cabs of British Leyland trucks.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Yea, but it doesn't fix oil leaks?!
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    Yea, but it doesn't fix oil leaks?!

Oh, thats cruel.
    The Volty will hunt you down.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Oh, thats cruel.
    The Volty will hunt you down.
    Yea, I know sorry,

Mind you, would ya missus be chasing me on the Volty because you and the Scrambler are stuck some where?

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    You must spread rep blah blah.......lol

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    The tiny WD40 can looks the business. Excellent, considering the lack of space on my little XT225 (which doesn't need as much penetrating lubricant as a Triumph Scrambler. ) Cheers Deano.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Dude. whats with the can of ether? That shit should only be found in the cabs of British Leyland trucks.
    Heck, I just noticed that as well, dunno what the Ether is doing in the shed, good shit though!

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    On a couple of ocassions in Oz, the adjusters got out of alignment
    Ah, difference could be your sidestand. The Trophy has a centrestand so when the chain adjusters are rotated the axle is under almost no stress.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    I have been told that insted of carrying spare levers, file a break line halfway along the lever so they can snap off if they hit hard, you are then left with a stubby lever which you can then slip a short piece of garden hose over to give you a full lever again.
    File about 3-4cm in from the end, that will leave you with a 2-finger lever which is pretty much all you use on a dirt bike anyway. No hose needed. I used to drill a hole rather than file, but that leaves a nasty jagged end when it breaks. Also, wrap a few layers of teflon tape around the bars and leave the lever mounts loose enough so that a decent whack will move them.

Of course, if you have a KTM this is already done for you:

And if all else fails, for the EXC models they have emergency lightweight plastic levers that store behind the headlight on top of the lower triple clamp. I need to see if they are usable on the Adventure, they are slightly different:
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Bark busters are great for protecting the levers up to a point
    All I can say is "choose wisely." The Acerbis Rally Pro (or Rally II?) plastic handguards I used on the DR-Z250 were pretty useless, broke lots of levers with them fitted. I always carried spare levers when going off-road, usually ones that had already had the end snapped off as ball-ends are required for WOF. The trouble was the plastic end-fitting simply wasn't strong enough to stop the guards rotating on the bars (the KTM OEM plastic ones have the same problem for a different reason). Even with loose perches the levers would still break. I'm running genuine alloy BarkBusters on the 200EXC and despite some big hits the levers haven't broken. One rock pushed up between the handguard and bars, this just rotated the perch.

Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    and in fact take a lot of punishment off the whole bike itself.
    That's debatable, they strengthen the handlebar assembly so put more force onto the bike. Without them, the handlebar would bend thereby absorbing some of the impact force. Admittedly they do bend the bars inboard of the anchor points (ie at the next weak spot) but the BarkBuster triple-clamp mounts do the opposite. I guess the theory is that a stronger assembly shunts the load directly onto a part of the bike that is stronger than the handlebar, one that can handle the impacts.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    ...That's debatable, they strengthen the handlebar assembly so put more force onto the bike.....
    Sorry - I gave the wrong impression. The guards I am talking about are the standard ones not real Bark Busters (TM) - just plastic without the metal bar that attaches in two places on the bar, those are illegal for motards if I read the rules correctly anyway. The plastic ones actually flex and cusion the impact -thus saving damage. I still argue against taking spare levers or weakening the existing levers as if you just loosen off the holding bolt a fraction the lever will turn on the handlebar instead of breaking. I have never broken a lever on the DR and its seen a lot of lever meets ground action, both clutch and brake.

Thread Information