Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up for adventure riding

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Sorry - I gave the wrong impression. The guards I am talking about are the standard ones not real Bark Busters (TM) - just plastic without the metal bar that attaches in two places on the bar, those are illegal for motards if I read the rules correctly anyway..
    Ah, I see. I dunno about the use of the term 'standard', they are known as 'flag type'. Motocrossers can only use those ones (mainly for roost protection) and enclosed ones are banned, probably as in motard, to stop the argy-bargy that might result from having enclosed hands. They are permitted in enduro and cross-country as the course is not so well groomed and you could be a long way from help (or not allowed any help).

Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    I still argue against taking spare levers or weakening the existing levers as if you just loosen off the holding bolt a fraction the lever will turn on the handlebar instead of breaking. I have never broken a lever on the DR and its seen a lot of lever meets ground action, both clutch and brake.
    Off-road or on the track? I'll argue the other way 'cos even with loose perches (and guards fitted) the DR-Z250 broke plenty of levers in the forest (and the DR200 broke a couple, and the Domi...). I've watched a low-speed tumble where the lever broke because the load was at an angle that wasn't conducive to rotating the perch... and that was what I suspected was the typical loading angle for the many I didn't see in slo-mo. btw not sure if the enclosed BarkBusters are banned from motard (in all markets), as they sell replacable end-scrapers specifically for motard!?

I've had modified levers snap the ball-end off, but never had them fail inboard of the weak spot and never been left in the lurch. Filing the levers costs almost nothing and saves weight! Everyone should do it.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    ...Off-road or on the track? I'll argue the other way 'cos even with loose perches (and guards fitted) the DR-Z250 broke plenty of levers in the forest (and the DR200 broke a couple, and the Domi...). I've watched a low-speed tumble where the lever broke because the load was at an angle that wasn't conducive to rotating the perch... and that was what I suspected was the typical loading angle for the many I didn't see in slo-mo....I've had modified levers snap the ball-end off, but never had them fail inboard of the weak spot and never been left in the lurch. Filing the levers costs almost nothing and saves weight! Everyone should do it.
    Hmmmm!!! Now I think about it all my offs have been at speed and I see how lower speed falls will create a force directed more along the angle of the bar than against it so breaks are more likely. You make a convincing arguement and I conceed the point - now wheres the damn file gone!!!

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I'm planning on getting 3 "ring-spanner/tyre iron" combinations (2x22mm and 1x19mm) to cut down on weight/bulk (rather than carrying three large spanners and a set of tyre irons).
    See my thoughts on combo tools in the Changing Tyres thread.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Ah, I see. I dunno about the use of the term 'standard', they are known as 'flag type'. Motocrossers can only use those ones (mainly for roost protection) and enclosed ones are banned, probably as in motard, to stop the argy-bargy that might result from having enclosed hands. They are permitted in enduro and cross-country as the course is not so well groomed and you could be a long way from help (or not allowed any help).
    I thought the enclosed ones were banned in mx because of the number of guys breaking wrists (open ones are a bit more forgiving than enclosed ones)?

Bike
    Honda Transalp XL600V 1987
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin View Post
    Hi again

Now as you all know I am a novice when it comes to this, so again I ask for wisdom and advice!
    I have made a list of things I need (or want) in some sort order, am I on the right track?

Please feel free to add or move things in your replies (it is for 2 bikes & riders), and imagine it is for 20 days on the road, stopping in town to refuel restock food etc.
    If you see something that should be moved, or deleted or added please let me know in this thread by replying.

Then there is always incidentals like camera, drivers licence, personal toiletries etc

Cheers and thanks for your help
    is this setting up for new zealand or other countries?
    http://www.partireper.it/home/now.jpg

"The greatest travel, is the one able to take us to ourselves"

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    Hi guys,

As a newbie to the world of adv riding, just wanted to say that this is a really helpful thread - cheers!

Dave

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    After working on the XT a few weekends back, I'm adding a 16mm metric fine bolt to my tool kit - it'd make it easier to remove the magnetic rotor from the end of the shaft than what we wound up doing (just wind it in and let it push the rotor off).
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Hi guys,

As a newbie to the world of adv riding, just wanted to say that this is a really helpful thread - cheers!

Dave
    I Agree this thread has been very informative. I'm just starting out on this Adventure riding caper. Have a new KTM on the way and can't wait.

I have done lots of long distance road touring and what I have learned is that you won't use half of what you think you should take. I have spent years hunting too and I can survive on bugger all for quite a while. I have a dehydrater. I dehydrate a good stew and seal it in a bag. Its light and lasts ages without freezing. Heaps cheaper than those freeze dried things and much tastier.
    A roll of Duct tape is great and as mentioned by someone earlier some soft wire for tying stuff up. With regard to the GPS, can it. Learn how to read a map and use a compass. Don't rely on something that can break down if you don't have to (bike excluded of course). Coleman make a really good single burner cooker that will run on virtually anything. gas canister burners are great but I prefer the coleman. It has a bullit proof design and no bloddy o-rings to crap out and it will run on, white spirits, kero or petrol (yes petrol)

Would like to hear a little more on Bike set up and prep from those in the know...

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonebull View Post
    Would like to hear a little more on Bike set up and prep from those in the know...
    I don't really qualify as 'in the know' but I won't let that stop me:

Have a readup on setting up your suspension for offroad, your new KTM will be fully adjustable so if you're lucky a few clicks here & there will get it working pretty good, check the sag with it loaded right up too.

Have a look over on Advrider.com for more bike specific stuff, heaps of good info from all over the world there - the Orange Crush section if your new beast is a twin, Thumpers for the singles.

When you start getting really adventurous, a GPS can be bloody handy. I can use a map & compass pretty well, & will take them also for serious exploring, but when you're trying to work out which one of the 6 nondescript tracks you've seen heading off into the scrub off the last 500m of some backroad is the one that takes you through 50km of great riding with a pub at the end, as opposed to the other 5 that are just dead ends, the GPS is the shizz.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    BMW 650 dakar

equipment

hi you have lots of gear . only thing is i would lose the bike lock and kidney belt . because you can lock your bike wiht your keys and the kidney belt ur riding 2 up ? i think so you wont be needing it all the other stuff is good i would add a tube of needit metal putty as it is very usefull for repairs and a bike pump

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonz View Post
    hi you have lots of gear . only thing is i would lose the bike lock and kidney belt . because you can lock your bike wiht your keys and the kidney belt ur riding 2 up ? i think so you wont be needing it all the other stuff is good i would add a tube of needit metal putty as it is very usefull for repairs and a bike pump
    Sadly, the thread-starter to whom you are replying is no longer with us and the question of what gear he's using to explore the Undiscovered Country is a matter for philosophical debate.

RIP Scott.
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    A SPOT may be a useful addition.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    A SPOT may be a useful addition.
    Nah, don't use drugs before a ride...
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Nah, don't use drugs before a ride...
    Not before. During.

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Not before. During.
    Workin for me at the mo!!!

Only Panadol tho - go on, call me a lightweight!
    Cheers, Dave

Thread Information