Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up for adventure riding

Bike
    2006 F650GS

Setting up for adventure riding

Hi again

Now as you all know I am a novice when it comes to this, so again I ask for wisdom and advice!
    I have made a list of things I need (or want) in some sort order, am I on the right track?

Please feel free to add or move things in your replies (it is for 2 bikes & riders), and imagine it is for 20 days on the road, stopping in town to refuel restock food etc.
    If you see something that should be moved, or deleted or added please let me know in this thread by replying.

So here is my list

Bikes
    1. Bikes
    2. Spare Bike Key
    3. Bike locks (and spare lock keys)

Riding Equipment
    1. Helmets
    2. Riding Jackets (adventure)
    3. Riding Pants (adventure)
    4. Boots
    5. Gloves
    6. Kidney Belt
    7. Cycle Pants

Luggage
    1. Panniers (soft)
    2. Luggage Rack
    3. Bag to fit luggage rack
    4. Waterproof stuff sack for tent etc
    5. Either a bumbag or small tankbag for small stuff.
    6. Waterproof liners for Panniers
    7. Tie downs for attaching things to (rubber bands made from old tubes)

Other equipment
    1. Tent
    2. Sleeping Bags
    3. Ground roll
    4. Sheepskin for the seat and bed underlay
    5. Cooking and eating equipment
    6. Head torch
    7. Personal Clothing
    8. First aid kit

Toolkit and spares
    1. Tools (spanners 8-17mm, spark plug wrench, Allen keys, hacksaw blade, vice grips, adjustable spanner, long nose pliers etc)
    2. Tyre repair kit and levers
    3. Duct and electrical tape
    4. Cables (brake, clutch and throttle)
    5. Spare clutch and Brake lever
    6. A selection of nuts and bolts
    7. Spare tubes
    8. Mild Steel Wire
    9. Chain lube and chain links
    10. Fire Extingusher

Navigation & Communication
    1. Intercom (rider to rider)
    2. Spare rechargeable batteries (and charger for these items)
    3. GPS
    4. GPS mount
    5. Cell phone
    6. Cell phone charger
    7. Maps

Things I would like to have but may not be available or need
    1. Larger capacity fuel tank

Then there is always incidentals like camera, drivers licence, personal toiletries etc

Cheers and thanks for your help

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    We don't mind you asking questions as long as we don't have to work hard so I'll leave you to sort out how you incorporate my comments.

If you do any off road and perhaps expect the odd drop of the bike I would add a spare clutch lever and a front brake lever. In the old days I only needed the one but with hydrauilic brakes these days you can't use a clutch lever upside for a brake lever like you used to be able to do.

Chuck in a can of chain lube and no harm having a few spare chain links including a joining link and a chain breaker just in case you snap a chain and need to patch it until you get a new one.

I also include a few lengths of mild steel tie wire, the type you use on concrete reinforcing - will come in handy to tie a few things if you break a luggage rack mount or something like that.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Navigation & Communication
    2. Spare rechargeable batteries (and charger for these items)

Think about wiring in an accessory socket (cigarette lighter) useful for all kinds of stuff from mini air pump to GPS car kit, mobile phone car charger.

Other equipment
    Cooker: go for a multi fuel cooker then you can empty your tank in to your cooker or your cooker in to your tank and you don't need a bigger tank. (unless you are heading in to the middle of AU in which case strap on a plastic petrol can, lots cheeper)

You need clothes to wear off the bike comfortable and light is good (cargo pants etc)

If you are setting off tomorrow (in the winter) then polypropolene is your friend!
    Last edited by XP@; 30th June 2006 at 14:33.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    You are definitely on the right track. For a trip of that length you need to add two complete changes of clothes (one always clean and dry and in a completely waterproof bag), and extra dry socks and underwear.

Try packing all your stuff together and see how much room it will take on the bike, then start dispensing with anything that is not absolutely neccessary.
    Tape a spare clutch & brake lever to your handlebars. That way they don't take up extra room and are right where they are needed.

The main thing is to enjoy the ride and don't make the packing a chore.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    We don't mind you asking questions as long as we don't have to work hard so I'll leave you to sort out how you incorporate my comments.

If you do any off road and perhaps expect the odd drop of the bike I would add a spare clutch lever and a front brake lever. In the old days I only needed the one but with hydrauilic brakes these days you can't use a clutch lever upside for a brake lever like you used to be able to do.

Chuck in a can of chain lube and no harm having a few spare chain links including a joining link and a chain breaker just in case you snap a chain and need to patch it until you get a new one.

I also include a few lengths of mild steel tie wire, the type you use on concrete reinforcing - will come in handy to tie a few things if you break a luggage rack mount or something like that.
    Thanks
    I have added your suggestions to the list, I would never of thought of the cable ties.
    Hopefully others will use this list too

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    .......?
    Dump the intercom (why the need to converse?) and GPS gubbins (just use a map). Where are you gonna plug your chargers in if you're stopping in a tent?

Finally when it's all packed in your panniers etc, lay the bike on the ground and try and pick it up. When you realise you can't, re-evaluate what you want to take.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Strange.

I would not carry about half of that lot at all and I only carry what I really need. Are you lot on bikes or using a cage & trailer?
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    .......?
    Don't end up like these two munters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Long-Way-Round's-Ewan-McGre.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	35963  

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Looks good to me, are you crossing the strait? if so then get some ratchet tie-downs for the ferry. I would leave off the batteries as you can get some more anywhere on the road. Comms gear was a good idea but on my last tour it really wasnt much help.Do a test pack and then see if you can move the bike, if not, reconsider your list.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    .......?
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktheknife
    Do a test pack and then see if you can move the bike, if not, reconsider your list.

Err,
    Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Finally when it's all packed in your panniers etc, lay the bike on the ground and try and pick it up. When you realise you can't, re-evaluate what you want to take.
    Above all, have fun.

Bike
    I call waterproof liners "plastic bags"..... Free from any small town supermarket. I think in NZ that GPS is something you could do without. You may want to find a really strong luggage rack so you can take along a spare bike for parts?? (p/t)

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin
    Things I would like to have but may not be available or need
    1. Larger capacity fuel tank
    It's pretty much carry the same gear.

Would suggest a small length of chain to go with the spare links and a chain breaker.
    We now carry a GPS but I do not turn it on, unless we want to register a way point.
    Or if we get lost and it could come in handy if some one gets hurt real bad in the middle of know where.
    At least then you can give the Ambo people a good idea where the hurt rider is.
    After all it's better than saying , he is down a track just passed the big tree.

And we both want larger tanks, not that we really need then, just to be on the safe side.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    I'm using a GPS for fun these days but run it on AA alkaline batteries which you can buy anywhere, just have spare pair on me each day. Last about 3 days if on for about 10 hrs a day.

The hardest thing about packing like this is trying to imagine what you might want because the bugger is when "it" happens the things you need you won't have e.g. a large heavy hammer or a bench vise or something to straighten stuff out, and all the stuff you do carry you won't use. One advantage of riding the XR is they are pretty tough with little extra hanging out and unless you have a big off you shouldn't bend it much. Riding with mates is handy because then you can share the things you carry. All up I pack my tools in one roll and the few bike spares, levers etc in another roll - don't take up too much space

I haven't been away on the bike as long as 20 days but have done two complete South Island tours on the VFR and managed with the two Ventura Aero bags that zip together on the pack rack. I did put everything in plastic bags but believe me plastic bags are like sieves if the main bag gets wet - something to do with osmosis I guess, so the trick is I have a storm cover for the Ventura bags and put that over them as soon as it looks like rain. Free supermarket bags are usually split in the bottom corners from the day you get them so they don't help much at keeping water out.

The other thing I thought of is that I carry is a fire extinguisher - just a small one on each bike - never sure what use they'll be as I've never had to use one but the adventure rides in some cases have made them compulsory so I now own some so figure they are not much use left in the garage when off on the dirt bike in some dry back country. Don't worry about them on the road bike usually.

Also the other things I always carry, road or dirt, is visor (goggle) cleaner and nice cotton rags. Nothing worse than not being able to see where you are going.

p.s. should say I never bother with any of the camping stuff - always stay where they at least have a decent queen or king bed and a spa bath.

As for the munters above they really didn't need all their stuff because they had a support crew.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    I forgot to add.

We do not have a intercom as such, but do sometimes carry a RT each. (does have a under helmet head piece if needed)
    So SDU could, if needed tell me she is in trouble.
    Or I can tell her what to look out for when she is trying to get up a tricky trail after I have gone up it.
    Or if she gets lost and by beeping a horn can advise how to find the trail or me again.

And as long as you can unload enough of the luggage easily so you can pick it up. (the bike)
    You can reload the bike again and ride off.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Get an old inner tube and cut it into rubber bands - it's amazing how handy they can be.

Thread Information