Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyres: What do you think about this....

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150

Tyres: What do you think about this....

Hey guys what do you think about this......

Im getting a new tyre for the RG, and it takes a 110/90........ Well the thing is all the rubber i want (BT39SS TT900 etc) is not imported in that size, neither is it imported in 120/80

So i was talking to a tyre guy and what he recommends is putting on a bigger bikes front radial (ie 120/70 17ZR......... like im going to get up to Z rated speeds hehehe......)

So the guy is recommending i put on e new Michelin Pilot Power (considered sticker than a rennsport ) or a BT 012 SS..... ofcourse these tyres would be reversed in tread pattern (ie flipped around)

What i was wanting to know is what you guys think of it? will it be safe??? will i have any problems???

Cheers everyone
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    Walking
    DON"T TALK TO ME ABOUT TYRES!

I've just spent the last hour an a half trying to change the front tyre on my two fifty. "Save yourself some money Racey!" "Do it yourself Racey!!"
    Yer Right!!

Should have just paid the bike shop to do it, and gone and MADE some money this afternoon!

Anyone can ride a bike fast. The real test on race day should be, Who can change a tyre the fastist!

Still haven't got that last peice of bead over the rim. 1 little bit of tyres left to fit, and do you think I can get it! Sure I'm going too do myself a damage, of not brake a disk.

COFFEE! Must have Coffee!

Bike
    Walking
    Arr. Thats better.

Now what was the question?

At race days were suppost to run TT900's 90/80-17 on the 150's

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Racey Rider

Anyone can ride a bike fast.
    Not Jimbo
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Racey Rider
    DON"T TALK TO ME ABOUT TYRES!

I've just spent the last hour an a half trying to change the front tyre on my two fifty. "Save yourself some money Racey!" "Do it yourself Racey!!"
    Yer Right!!

Should have just paid the bike shop to do it, and gone and MADE some money this afternoon!

Anyone can ride a bike fast. The real test on race day should be, Who can change a tyre the fastist!

Still haven't got that last peice of bead over the rim. 1 little bit of tyres left to fit, and do you think I can get it! Sure I'm going too do myself a damage, of not brake a disk.

COFFEE! Must have Coffee!
    The used to have a similar event in some enduro's - who can swap a tube out of a tyre the fastest.

Put the old tyre on the ground and put the wheel with the new tyre on top. Put a couple of capfuls of dishwashing liquid in a jar of water and brush the misture onto the tyre bead. Now use a rubber mallet or the heel of your boot to force the last bit of the bead on the rim. If the tyre is tubed, it helps to blow the tube up slightly before inserting it.

Bike
    Walking
    Ok! Jimbo excluded.

I thought that was a given!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    I like your style!

He probably wont but then, who cares!
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Walking
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar
    Put the old tyre on the ground and put the wheel with the new tyre on top. Put a couple of capfuls of dishwashing liquid in a jar of water and brush the misture onto the tyre bead. Now use a rubber mallet or the heel of your boot to force the last bit of the bead on the rim. If the tyre is tubed, it helps to blow the tube up slightly before inserting it.
    Thanks Oscar.
    Right back too it then!

Good thread TS!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Hey anyhoo TS --We used to do the same thing on our bucket racers with no ill affect TS but then again they were 100cc two strokes
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    I put on a set of TT900's on sat, I was worried about going from a 110 to a 100 as well, but the actual width of the tire is the same, it is just not as curved. Since I couldn't get to the edge of the old 110's and now I can throw it over so far that the stand scrapes I'm very happy with them, except for the price

Bike
    Ah ok, ill probably go for the 100/80 TT900....... i cant find a front TT900 though does anyone know somewhere where i can get one?????

Hey Racey Rider will they let me use a BT39SS front since im late to the season? What size rear do you have on????

Cheers
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Now this is a rear tire.
    Not to sure if it would be much fun trying to lean it, into a corner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	882.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	2087  
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    Walking
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    Hey Racey Rider will they let me use a BT39SS front since im late to the season? What size rear do you have on????
    The streetstock races I've been in have been pretty easy going in regard to the bike setup and rules. Pretty much left up to you to be within the spirit of the rules. If you start getting in the top 3 regularly your bike would be looked at more closely.
    BT39SS Should be fine. Thats what I've got on my KR150. 90/80/17 And ran 100/80/17 on the rear of my RG150.
    I have a set off half worn TT900,s in the shed which I used last year. I saved them when I sold the bike, But the KR has a 18" rear so can't use the rear one.

Bike
    Ah ok cheers, did you find the 100/80 turned in faster???? or did it flatten out too quick?

What condition is that rear in i could be keen...... and i dont see myself being in the top 3 for a while.........
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    TS, most dunlop shops could sort you out but you might be better getting second hand from top level racers like RR, The front isn't much cheaper than the rear :*(

Thread Information