Thread: Wanted: XV750 swingarm bolt & bearings

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650

Wanted: XV750 swingarm bolt & bearings

Howdy KBers, If you've read any of my other postings you will know I'm rebuilding project #3, yet another XV750 and my third '83.
    The swingarm on this bike was locked solid and would not move after I had removed the rear shock. After liberal amounts of penetrating oil and a goodly amount of smacking the spanner with a big hammer I have managed to get it to move and I have loosened the pivot bolt but the inner bush must have rusted to the bolt and I can't get the bolt out so will have to cut it. All this means I will need to get a replacement bolt, needle bearings (most likely), dust caps, thrust washers and the central bush. Being from down under it would be way too expensive to buy the whole swing arm off ebay and nobody is listing just the pivot bolt and bearings so if anyone closer has a spare swingarm or lower frame with the necessary pivot bolt etc I will promise to name my next child after them (actually my wife insisted I put an end to any chance of that happening after our fourth child!). I'm guessing they use the same bolt for all the shaft drive 81-83 bikes and maybe some others. Drop me a personal message or reply to this post if you can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swing1.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	36130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swing2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	36131  

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Yep I had to get the angle grinder onto the pivot bolt and cut the head off. It all came apart nicely after that and the inner bushing is rusted solid to the pivot bolt so I need items 2,3,4,5 & 6 off that drawing above. Bugger...

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    With luck the bearings will be a standard size , get them from the bearing shop. Any good engineering shop should be able to make you a new pivot bolt. Prolly a lot dearing than a secondhand one, so that's still option one, but, if it fails....
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    It's either $360 for new bits from the local Yamaha shop or $65 second hand (assuming they are in good nick when he gets them out), hmmmmm tough decision. Wish I had another parts bike....

Bike
    1983 Yamaha xv750
    Wired , cant help you this time but you may be able to help me.In your quest have you come accross a back pack rack, or some thing similiar ,chrome preferable or painted if it can be rechromed.I have ordered a set of polished stainless steel case bolts from USA at $19.95 so hope they are good.Best of luck with your quest.
    Pat

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Hi Pat, no sorry on the pack rack. Is it for the pack rack or are you wanting a back rest? One of my earlier XV's had a backrest added to the grab rail that looked OK, it was a bit rough but the idea was a good one. I got rid of it before discovering my wife wanted me to keep it! so I might look at getting another one made the same - photo attached. The stainless bolt sets are brilliant (no pun intended). I bought a couple of them for my last rebuild and you can't fault the quality, if you have bought any stainless bolts locally you will know that it a good price too. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xv750 004.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	37238  

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    OK I've found all the bits EXCEPT the bloody pivot bolt, seems the wrecker may have lost his. I have another whole bike so I could get it made from my other example, or I could try a standard 14mm bolt cut to length - is there any special type of bolt required? Anyone got a spare? It's 180mm long, 14mm diameter with a head that fits a 22mm spanner, they probably use them on several 81-83 models knowing the clever Yamaha chaps...

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Hi again Pat, check out this listing on Turdeme, just what you were looking for I reckon: http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=63856029 - Cheers, Simon.

Bike
    BSA A10
    You can get the bearing/bush kit here as well, no pivot bolt though
    https://www.partsnmore.com/
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Yes well spotted thanks, I've price their stuff before and the freight is a killer unfortunately. I can still get these bits from the local bike shop and I only need the bolt now so I'll probably just bite the bullet and get a new one.

Bike
    1983 Yamaha xv750
    You were looking for a speedo and rev set up for an xv there is one on ebay right now for $10 US , not a bad price if you add $15 for postage.
    Pat

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Thanks Pat, I managed to get one from a guy in Wellington, I really should go back and tify up all those old want ads. The US ones are usually in Mph and miles on the odometer so unless they come from the UK they aren't ideal. Did you see that pack rack ad on Trademe?

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Oh, and I've managed to find the pivot bolt etc now too thanks, another KBer to the rescue...

Bike
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675, 1982 XV750

Pivot Bolt Specs

New to this site but hoping someone can give me a answer. I'm in the same boat needing a Swing Arm Pivot Bolt for a 82 xv750 and they are nowhere to be found. Can anyone give the exact specs of the bolt ? Looks like the only way I'm going to get it is to have it machined. Have a bloke that can but need to specs

Thread Information