Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopping

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    If riding with others, a stop every hour/100km. On my own I have to make myself stop...bloody boring when i do though. Have to make sure I eat and drink too.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Indeed. I never got any takers to my sprotsbike challenge -- Wellington to Whangarei with only one fuel stop...

That's impressive I have a similar attitude to driving the car - hate stopping much to the irritation of my wife. She often reminds me about the occasion when she was absolutely busting for a pee and I made her wait for another 50 km until we reached our destination. A "close call" in many ways - I think my life was hanging by a thread

Bike
    06 Yamaha FZ1
    If im by myself ill ride till i need to stop, usually 200km+.
    If i have the mrs on the back its usually around an hour b4 shees wacking me in the ribs and telling me to pull over for a stop

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Ride until I have to fuel. Unless it's so cold I need to stop and light a fire.

And Wellington to Whangarei ? Easy. I've done Auckland to Wellington with no fuel stop, on the 1950's equivalent of a sprotsbike.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

I'll stop every 100km if I'm on a mission to go somewhere - but I'm usualy not on a mission,so I'll stop any time I like.That can be never,and I'll put in a 300km day non stop.Or I'll stop for a piss,to take a photo of some nice spot,I'll stop to just check something out....wassat? Looked like a kitten...maybe if I sit still they'll come out for a peek.I check out burnt out cars,cars rolled down banks,old quarry or farm equipment...views,I always stop for a good view.

Shit,do I ever do any riding? There is just so much to explore and check out....maybe I'm nosey.....

Bike
    a red heap
    when i'm on a mission i'll only stop when i need gas.

Bike
    All of them
    no set rules - depends on the ride. sometimes when on a photo mission it can be every 50mtrs.

Usually about 250km on the XB12X is quite comfortable - 150 on the Trophy and my knees hurt.

Bike
    None
    Indeed. I never got any takers to my sprotsbike challenge -- Wellington to Whangarei with only one fuel stop...
    I ACCEPT !!!

What do I win?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    I'll stop every 100km if I'm on a mission to go somewhere - but I'm usualy not on a mission,so I'll stop any time I like.That can be never,and I'll put in a 300km day non stop.Or I'll stop for a piss,to take a photo of some nice spot,I'll stop to just check something out....wassat? Looked like a kitten...maybe if I sit still they'll come out for a peek.I check out burnt out cars,cars rolled down banks,old quarry or farm equipment...views,I always stop for a good view.

Shit,do I ever do any riding? There is just so much to explore and check out....maybe I'm nosey.....
    That's different. That's not stopping, that's savouring. Take a couple bits of luncheon sausage in your kit. Amazing what you can lure out, or down, for a chat , with luncheon sausage and patience. Especially this time of year, beasts get hungry now.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Okay, I'll bite.

Of course, fuel consumption was of most importance when I made my decision to buy a sportsbike. Along with pannier options, heated grips, sheepskin seat cover availability, long distance comfort (never had a problem and have ridden 1200km in one day), soft plush suspension, etc etc etc.

Now how about this challenge. Aaron Slight on my bike and then yours, fastest lap around Ruapuna. Hmmm, no takers? Oh that's right, tourers were not built for fast laps....

And yes my bike may only see 10 days a year on the track, but boy oh boy is it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    That's different. That's not stopping, that's savouring. .
    A few weeks ago I went past a goat sleeping on the side of the road,he just lifted his head as I went past,didn't even bother to get up - probably the first human and vehicle he had seen all day...or days even.So I stopped on the next corner and climbed up a hill to look back at the Two Towers and home far in the distance - I stood very still savouring the sights and peace....then I saw some movement in the scrub,goats were in there.Everytime I so much as moved they would flick their heads in my direction,they knew I was there but unable to locate me.

Those poor buggers on sprotsbikes miss a hell of a lot in their quest for a knee down corner....

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    My bike makes my arse go to sleep so I stop quite often or sometimes I just ride side saddle, alternating between port and starboard to give one half of my butt a rest for a few K's.
    Dear God, I just got a mental picture of one of NZ's finest, riding side saddle and alternating arse cheeks.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Dear God, I just got a mental picture of one of NZ's finest, riding side saddle and alternating arse cheeks.
    You want a live demo?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit
    Okay, I'll bite.

Of course, fuel consumption was of most importance when I made my decision to buy a sportsbike. Along with pannier options, heated grips, sheepskin seat cover availability, long distance comfort (never had a problem and have ridden 1200km in one day), soft plush suspension, etc etc etc.

Now how about this challenge. Aaron Slight on my bike and then yours, fastest lap around Ruapuna. Hmmm, no takers? Oh that's right, tourers were not built for fast laps....

And yes my bike may only see 10 days a year on the track, but boy oh boy is it worth it.
    Chacun a son gout. That's why i find it necessary to have more than one bike.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    A few weeks ago I went past a goat sleeping on the side of the road,he just lifted his head as I went past,didn't even bother to get up - probably the first human and vehicle he had seen all day...or days even.So I stopped on the next corner and climbed up a hill to look back at the Two Towers and home far in the distance - I stood very still savouring the sights and peace....then I saw some movement in the scrub,goats were in there.Everytime I so much as moved they would flick their heads in my direction,they knew I was there but unable to locate me.

Those poor buggers on sprotsbikes miss a hell of a lot in their quest for a knee down corner....
    Nice. I often tuck a pair of binoculars, or Mrs Ixion's opera glasses (shh, she still wonders where she put them) into a saddle bag. Well worth it.

Thread Information