Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stopping

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Don'r underestimate it, I've done Wellington -> Auckland non stop, and it's a long long hard grind. Amd that was on a 500. The last few hundred k's are rough.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Maybe first we should have a poll to determine whether or not a Hyosung GT250 is a "sprotsbike" in the spirit of the challenge?
    Okay, I will consent to that. However I think it is un-nessescary.

It'll only make the journey if I am conservative, which is going to take skill on my part and the fact the bike has a large tank and decent fuel mileage is only 50% beneficial.

By the way Hitcher, it cost roughly $23 - $25 dollars to fill my tank with Unleaded 91 so it is not going to be overly exspensive for you. I imagine if you are my competitor on a lovely FJR then I'm going to need a mortage.

Bike
    I've done Auckland - Chez Poos in the Wairarapa riviera and it was a piece of piss, even after a half day at work.

I had to stop a few times for gas though so I'll pass on the hitler challenge.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by swanny
    By the way Hitcher, it cost roughly $23 - $25 dollars to fill my tank with Unleaded 91 so it is not going to be overly exspensive for you. I imagine if you are my competitor on a lovely FJR then I'm going to need a mortage.
    The original purpose of this challenge -- first made over a year ago -- was to deflate a couple of rampant sprotsbike egos who at that time were whacking on about how quickly their crutch rockets could propel them from Auckland to Wellington. In an endeavour to add some spice to the discussion, I suggested the Whangarei-Wellington with one fuel stop challenge to see if there was any interest. There was none.

At that time I had an ST1300 with a 29 litre tank that would have done this effortlessly. The Big Yam with a 25 litre tank should do this as well, depending on the route and the location of the fuel stop (I need one at about 430km, plus or minus 10km).

So the original intention wasn't for this to be an economy run, if that makes sense. Rather a way of making a point that a fast trip from Whangarei to Wellington shouldn't involve three or four fuel stops...

I may still be keen, and it would be nice if we could ride it together, so that we could self-adjudicate. You shouldn't need a mortgage either, as I estimate that the FJR will do this trip on 46 litres of unleaded 91.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Auckland to Welly is a doddle. Boring because I've done it so many times, but still easy. I make two gas stops to be safe and one includes a fuel stop for me. Otherwise it's straight through.
    I do think Hitcher was inferring a full-on, gas guzzleing, back breaking litre bike for the challenge?
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    I do think Hitcher was inferring a full-on, gas guzzleing, back breaking litre bike for the challenge?
    Can I take a camel back full of gas?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Or a 600. I'm not fussy. They're all the same.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover
    Sure. If I can light it.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover
    I've heard you have an inbuilt supply.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    None
    I understand your reasoning Hitcher.

My intentions are plain simple, I've always wanted to ride the Rimutaka's and this is a good excuse to go down to Wellington.

I live about 1:30 hours ride south of Whangarei so its not that much of an adventure.

I'm keen to come down to Wellington and ride back with you, or you come up to Whangarei and ride back. Sounds like your FJR has equal fuel mileage to my bike.

Bike
    SV1000S K7 GSX1400 K4
    Shit on the 1400 I would go to sleep on the seat it is so big and comfortable, I only stop if everybody else does, or if I need a piss, or the bike needs a break. And I have grunt & heaps of it if it is required.
    "Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it.

When government accepts responsibility for people, then people no longer take responsibility for themselves. ~George Pataki

You can’t be late until you show up.
    :

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I stop when ever i want to, dont have set k's, if i need a feed i stop, if i want a piss i stop, if i want a rum, i stop, at the next pub........

Swanny/Hitcher should do that Welly/Whanga's ride..Kber's from all over the north island can jump in and do stint with them , might even make the 6pm news if the Auckland riders jump on and do the last leg to Whangarei....

Bike
    2001 Duc 7 4 8 R
    Normally stop every 100 -150 km's for a break or roughly every 1 -1/2 hours for road riding.

However , a earlier this year saw us stopping every 20 k or so and 150 km's took about 5 hours. Most of the trip was sort of gravel , but I've including a picture of the "Road" section.
    This is one challenge (and the only) I'd put to Hitcher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02719.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	36662  
    It's not a beer pot .... It's a fuel tank for a sex machine

Trip of a life time http://www.buenosaires-caracas.com.ar/tours.html
    Trip details here

Thread Information