Page 13 of 233 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Dances With Poultry View Post
    I just rang and the E-07 and E-09 are in stock at Dirt Action (see my post above for details), except the E-07 19in front are about 3 weeks away. The main man there uses them on his LC-4 and really rates them. Also LC-8 riders are using them. Reports of 14,000km to a rear are common (I get about 11-12,000km from E-07s, up from the 7-8,000 I was getting out of Trailwings). I had a couple of Dutch brothers stay with me who were getting 22,000km++ but they were travelling at about 75km/hr on DR600s around the world.

Cheers

Nigel in Rangiora
    14000 would be right down to almost illegal tread depth on an E-07

Still got nothing bad to say yet about the IRC GP21 on the front.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I took my Transalp 12000km on Mitas E07 (I think it's about ready to change, looks a bit tatty in places), and almost 6000km (not sure exactly) on E09.
    I like them both. They are both mentioned a lot earlier in this topic.
    Using D606 on the DR650 now for the more slippery rides and will be running E07 for their longevity on easier runs and sealed road runs.
    If I had only one set of rims i might stick with E09 for slightly better life than D606 but more dirt grip than E07.
    E09 was still pretty good on seal even when wet and Transalp loaded with camping stuff.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500

Mitas E09

Quote Originally Posted by Mint Sauce View Post
    Anyone had any experience with the E09; that is if it is available here in NZ?
    Yup, they're bloody good.

Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    A few in CHCH have run E-09's. They seem to be like any other knobblie i.e. Dunlop D606 or Michi MT21. Possibly slightly better life but simply but not riding on the road so much (they are knobs after all) makes a significant difference i.e. hard to tell if actually get longer life). Price wise they are similar to the D606 or MT21 (all about $130ish).
    I've used the stock Trailwings and Pirelli MT21's and Mitas E09's. I found the Trailwings to be crap off road and on shingle roads unless you stayed in the wheel ruts with bugger all gravel, but they were good on the road. I took them off after 4729km with plenty of wear left on them. Next were the MT21's, great on road and off. Used in all conditions from low speed in mud to 120k+ for long stretches on the seal. Absolutely rooted (down to the carcass) when they came off after 6195km. Next and still on - E09's. Just as good as the MT21's on the seal and better in the dirt. Good enough that I have a spare set waiting to go on again when the time comes.

Reports of 14,000km to a rear are common (I get about 11-12,000km from E-07s, up from the 7-8,000 I was getting out of Trailwings). I had a couple of Dutch brothers stay with me who were getting 22,000km++ but they were travelling at about 75km/hr on DR600s around the world.
    14000k of usable life out of an E09? I think not.

I just went and checked mine for you. The new ones have a tread depth of 8mm on the front and 13mm on the rear. My current ones with 4445km of on and off road riding on them measure 6mm front, 7mm rear. At the current wear rate that would work out to a total mileage of 9630km for the rear and 17780km. BUT, that's worn down to the carcass. Works out to 8520km/14446km down to WOF level of tread, but that would still be useless off road. The rear has already lost a lot of it's grip from new but I'll persevere with it for a bit longer.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Thanks f q, that's great info.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    SuzukT-Series(All),BMWF650, 28 bikes ttl

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    Yup, they're bloody good.

14000k of usable life out of an E09? I think not.
    Yeah, no way in hell you can get that sort of kms out of a proper knobblie, but I did say I was referring to the E-07 which is a different beast altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    I just went and checked mine for you. The new ones have a tread depth of 8mm on the front and 13mm on the rear. My current ones with 4445km of on and off road riding on them measure 6mm front, 7mm rear. At the current wear rate that would work out to a total mileage of 9630km for the rear and 17780km. BUT, that's worn down to the carcass. Works out to 8520km/14446km down to WOF level of tread, but that would still be useless off road.
    8500km is still very good in my book for a real knobblie, you must be happy with that. I wear my tyres pretty much right down to legal, and 11-12,000 seems to be it for rears with my bike. They seem to better than the Trailwings with extra load. The Trailwings peeled away with my good lady on the back, but the Mitas seem to hold up much better. I wore more off my boots on the last Akaroa GP than I took off the tyres. The E-07 in the dry drift quite predictably when you get past their limit. It's not something I would do with a full knobblie tyre.

Regards

Nigel in Rangiora
    --"Team Dear Liza Racing (There's a hole.....)"--
    Mission Statement: The shortest distance between two points is at the red line.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian

Talking

I just rang and the E-07 and E-09 are in stock at Dirt Action (see my post above for details), except the E-07 19in front are about 3 weeks away. The main man there uses them on his LC-4 and really rates them. Also LC-8 riders are using them. Reports of 14,000km to a rear are common (I get about 11-12,000km from E-07s, up from the 7-8,000 I was getting out of Trailwings). I had a couple of Dutch brothers stay with me who were getting 22,000km++ but they were travelling at about 75km/hr on DR600s around the world.

Cheers

Nigel in Rangiora
    if you want something that handels it the wet as well as on the metal try the mitis herring bone patten dirt action chch have them
    i do 1100 km appox weekly all weather does not include weekends or rallys so tried them out i got 16000k out of the front & 14200k from the back presures 23 & 30 they're great for duel purpose bikes

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek lone rider View Post
    .......the mitis herring bone patten......
    That would be the E07's you mean?
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    That's how the DAS guys describe them, yes, herring bone = E07 Mitas.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    if you want something that handels it the wet as well as on the metal try the mitis herring bone patten dirt action chch have them
    i do 1100 km appox weekly all weather does not include weekends or rallys so tried them out i got 16000k out of the front & 14200k from the back presures 23 & 30 they're great for duel purpose bikes
    They have them on the shelf or they can get them?

Bike
    that would be right cooneyr just checked to make sure

Bike

Eo7

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    They have them on the shelf or they can get them?
    they have rear in most popular but only 21" front at the mo 19" on the way

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    DAS are down on stock on E07 of one 21 and one 17 since Monday.

Big thanks guys after all the deabte I knew what to go and get.

Phil at DAS is an awesome load of help on tyre advice and biking off road.

Now I just need to lose my virginity on changing M/C tyres! Following the advice that the last time to learn is on the trail.
    Global Warming - The ultimate system reboot to remove the human virus

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint Sauce View Post
    Phil at DAS is an awesome load of help on tyre advice and biking off road.

Now I just need to lose my virginity on changing M/C tyres! Following the advice that the last time to learn is on the trail.
    Phil showed me how, i did my first tyre on their shop floor under his guidence with the tools (tyre and leavers) I bought from them. Took a few more tries at home, now i'm fairly comfortable with it all, hate rear tyres, 21inch fronts are easy. Rear beads could still be an issue for me if alone on a track, the DR650 one is a bit sticky and I'm a light weight. I use my bike ramp and van to leaver them off the bead at home.

I suppose your new tyres are already shop installed? or you want a hand?

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Cheers Transalper. No, not fitted in the shop. I decided to follow the advice presented to me in the thread of 'get on with it and learn'; not a true quote I may add. Phil gave me a verbal run throgh in his shop and offered if it all seemed to be going wrong "throw one of the wheels in the back of the car and bring it down here". I've also read the ADV Neduro thread that someone made mention of.

I'm just waiting on my centre stand to arrive, fit it and then I'm going to give these tyres a go. The offer of help is much appreciated and I will give you a PM when I am all set up to go.
    Global Warming - The ultimate system reboot to remove the human virus

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    they have rear in most popular but only 21" front at the mo 19" on the way
    Ahhh.
    It's the "On the way" bit that's the concern with Mitas tyres.

Thread Information