Page 229 of 233 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 3486

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Lot of aussie guys are raving about these, pricey though... like the endure ones.. http://www.motoz.co.nz/tyre-range.html

]
    I have the Hybrid on the rear & the Tractionator I/T on the front of my 400. The rear is quite a large tyre, its profile lends itself to a really nice transition from upright to cranked over. Good in rocky conditions, excellent on clay,, good in deep gravel but gravel on hardpack 'tis a tad loose but controllable. With low pressure (8psi) it'll climb every thing. Not if its deep mud though!
    Supposedly has good durability, but Ive only done 1000ks on it.
    The tractionator I/T is way betterer than the ac10, & its stiffer carcase is much better on your rims & doesn t deflect as much when pounding across rocky terrain. Seems fine on the slippery stuff & wet rocks. I'd be a bit wary on shiny wet tar though .
    Both tyres seem to have got better after a few rides....whether its me imagining it or getting used to them , well.......
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Pirelli to go on soon for summer and Shinko in rserve for winter

side by side pic https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I'd say use Shinko 705's, but that's just because they're cool

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ok, what tyres do I want on my X Challenge?

Im a bit lost on this. Will be roads to the gravel, dirt/sand. Ive got a D606 which for some reason feels bad on gravel or Im just shit at gravel. T63 on the back which is getting down.

Dont care about road performance but dont want something that will kill me at road legal speeds. I will take traction over lifespan.

What say you all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    I ran D606 on my tenere and loved them, they suited that bike. Pirelli MT21 gets great reviews, I've used them and really liked them, but they didn't last on the bigger heavy bike.
    Check out Remote moto website for lotsa reviews.
    There is also a thread on adventure tyres, could be worth reading, but everyone has different opinions and it just gets confusing.
    flashg

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Shinko 700s is always my choice for the XT...
    gone though 2 fronts & 4 rears... won't be the last..
    got me though 2 DB1k and everywhere ealse I have pointed it....

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Anyone tried the Shinko 244's? Look similar to my father's tyres from the 70's and seemed to perform well in the mud for a universal.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Im a bit lost on this. Will be roads to the gravel, dirt/sand. Ive got a D606 which for some reason feels bad on gravel or Im just shit at gravel. T63 on the back which is getting down.

Dont care about road performance but dont want something that will kill me at road legal speeds. I will take traction over lifespan.

What say you all?
    The Shinko 804's look quite interesting, could be good in sand with the paddle like tread?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hads View Post
    The Shinko 804's look quite interesting, could be good in sand with the paddle like tread?
    They have a similar tread pattern and depth to TKC 80's looking at the pics. I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm coming to the conclusion that a spare set of wheels solves a lot of problems...
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    I ran D606 on my tenere and loved them, they suited that bike. Pirelli MT21 gets great reviews, I've used them and really liked them, but they didn't last on the bigger heavy bike.
    Check out Remote moto website for lotsa reviews.
    There is also a thread on adventure tyres, could be worth reading, but everyone has different opinions and it just gets confusing.
    Looks like I may have had the 606 too hard. Was at 25 and I received advice to try 16 to 18.

Bike
    Looks like I may have had the 606 too hard. Was at 25 and I received advice to try 16 to 18.
    The D606 do last well and I like the smaller blocks. also that back tyre gives great traction.
    I don't like the big block tyres, I have ridden with guys using them (different brands) and was unimpressed once we got off the beaten track, the worn out D606 out performed them for traction in muddy conditions.
    flashg

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    The D606 do last well and I like the smaller blocks. also that back tyre gives great traction.
    I don't like the big block tyres, I have ridden with guys using them (different brands) and was unimpressed once we got off the beaten track, the worn out D606 out performed them for traction in muddy conditions.
    That's very interesting. The grip my wee trials bike manages to find with clay slick, road legal, trials tires is astonishing. Ok, a lot of other reasons, too.

I like small, close, flexible tread blocks and low pressures. Side grip and a wide, malleable footprint are the dogs danglies at lower speeds off road. The tread blocks spread out when compressed and scramble for grip.

That's food for thought. Cheers flashg
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    That's very interesting. The grip my wee trials bike manages to find with clay slick, road legal, trials tires is astonishing. Ok, a lot of other reasons, too.

I like small, close, flexible tread blocks and low pressures. Side grip and a wide, malleable footprint are the dogs danglies at lower speeds off road. The tread blocks spread out when compressed and scramble for grip.

That's food for thought. Cheers flashg
    My enduro bikes get very different tyres.I run competition Enduro tyres (road legal) with a "tubliss" system, running about 8psi front, 4psi rear, the rear tyre just flattens out under load. With a very spaced out pattern and rather small blocks = exceptionally good traction everywhere.
    PS they wouldn't last on the road, they'd be slicks real quick.
    flashg

Bike
    Big money wasters

What say you all?
    I run Pirelli MT 21 for gravel / off road and Pirelli Scorpion A/T for street / light gravel on My X-challenge , cheap for good tires.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    I run Pirelli MT 21 for gravel / off road and Pirelli Scorpion A/T for street / light gravel on My X-challenge , cheap for good tires.
    What ks are you getting out of the MT21s? They ok in sand and mud? I'm looking at doing some trail rides.

I was thinking of the MT21s or a Motoz Adventure for the back and a MT21 front.

Thread Information