Page 2 of 233 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    I liked the Pirelli MT21 on the front & loved the Mitas E09 on the rear of my Serow.
    I'm defiantly going to put the Mitas E09 (loves the mud) on the DR650 when its due for tyres.
    Got some cheap shinko R244's on the DR650 at the moment. They took awhile to bed in, slippery as initially (Scary moments). I've only used them on gravel & road so far but are they ok. They handled the trip to the Brass no problem. Yet to test them off road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00634.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	36443  

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    I like the Pirelli MT 21's as a good all rounded tire.
    I have found when pushing hard off road the front lets go, so I have not bought another one.

My favourite off road combo is Dunlop 606 up front and a Michelin AC10 at the rear.
    These are OK on the road, but be careful until you get use to them.
    When half worn you can push them real hard on the road, by going steady in to the corners and hard and smooth on the gas out.
    And feel a controlled drift out. Magic
    Properly not the best tire if you want them to last.
    But they last long enough for me and the grip off road is the best that I have found for a DOT that I like.

I/we bought the cheapo Shinko R244's for the Brass Monkey as we needed
    a few tires and money was tight after buying SDU DR and other gear for the Brass.
    And wanted a more of a road and gravel tire that would not vibrate on the road for the trip.

As SDU said they were horrible for the first ride or two.
    After they had bedded in and we lowered the pressure to 18 PSI, to try and get some heat in to them they were OK on the street.
    I have not pushed them real hard on the road Yet.

I have taken them off road and in the snow.
    I managed to get though any bog hole and the snow with them.
    And in the less muddy bits they were good but did slide around in the slippery stuff.
    I don't think I would not want to go to fast with them off road and really push them.

They are what they are, a good cheap tire that will take you most places and you can do a good mileage on them. (so I have been told)

If money was tight and we were doing a lot of road gravel riding I would buy them again.

Now how did this turn in to a review on the tire.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Great Topic

Keep them coming, being a novice and all I can only rely on advice from sales people, and then I often wonder "Have they ever use these tyres for this purpose"? or "is there just a better margin on this tyre"?

Cheers

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin
    Great Topic

Keep them coming, being a novice and all I can only rely on advice from sales people, and then I often wonder "Have they ever use these tyres for this purpose"? or "is there just a better margin on this tyre"?

Cheers
    After reading your post and it still fresh in my mind.

I read this on KTM Talk and had a good giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by KTex
    This is kind of a vent message, but reasonable. I ran a Mitas Trial tire and thought it was awesome in the wet (really impressed) - when it was dry and sandy it was not to good, or poor. So I needed a new 18" rear knobby for my 05 300 EXC quickly. Went to one local dealer and they had plenty of 19" rear wheels, but no 18's. Then I went to a Suzuki dealer that had MX bikes on the floor, I asked for a 110 x 18 rear, he said "is that for an XR 100 or something", I said no this is for a KTM. He kinda laughed and said he has been riding for 30 years and they don't sell/use 18" rear tires anymore. I said I have been riding for over 35 years and they (18") are still popular. He said those are for Can-Am's and Bultaco's that used them a long time ago. I said I bet Suzuki's new off road 450 will have one. Then I walked out and just said yeah see ya... knowing I won't be back. Should have said the Yamaha WR, and CRF-X Honda's just 18" wheel. Found a nice S-12 110 x 18 at a KTM deal of all places...

KTex
    It makes my mind boggle to the advice that some of the staff in some shops give.
    I was once told that Kawasaki do not make a 400cc 4 cylinder road bike and it was a Kawasaki shop.
    I said that he better go down to the race track and he would see a few of these mythical bikes I was trying to buy.
    He now owns the shop here in CH.CH.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Cheers warewolf for your assessment of the MT90 A/T. I've noted that it is indeed poor in the slop but I haven't tried it in proper gravel yet (my driveway doesn't count) - nice to know what to expect. Good to hear it is a long-life tyre.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    I run the shinko's on my KLR250 & have been having an excellent run out of them doing road / gravel rides. Great on the road in the wet & really good in the dry. Mind you the KLR does not have the power to push them around.

Doing anything more than gravel requires a big drop in pressure from the road 24psi in the rear to a more offroad 12psi

The wife runs the IRC's on her KLR similar on road not as good on gravel but last longer, cost more tho, then I like sliding around a bit as well.
    If you're not living on the edge you're not leaning over far enough

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Cheers warewolf for your assessment of the MT90 A/T. Good to hear it is a long-life tyre.
    Well it turns out it is only long-lived cf. the MT21, which is quite a nasty surprise!
    It's used 4mm of tread in 1900km, so likely will only get to 4000km; about the same distance as a TKC80 but cheaper, less vibes and less dirt grip. Much of that distance was gentle road cruising, so I'm unlikely to better that number.

Next!

[Edit]
    OK I stuffed up; it's only used 2.5mm of tread (8.5mm new), but even so, I'll only likely get 5000km out of it.
    [/Edit]

Clint, what did you get out of the MT90? And what sort of distance out of the MT70s?

Cheers
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Pretty sure I got to around 7000+ on the MT90. The MT70 is good for about 4000.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Thanks Clint. Here's hoping I can get something like that out of it, but doesn't look likely.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    Pretty sure I got to around 7000+ on the MT90. The MT70 is good for about 4000.

Cheers
    Clint
    Have any of you TransAlp 650 riders tried out the Pirelli MT90 A/T tyres?
    I have always wanted to try them but always end up with "Tourances".
    The tourances are good on the road but not too good on wet green grass.
    I will have to make a concerted effort to get the Pirellis and would like to know others experiences before I force the issue.
    I have seen them (but not actually ridden) on a variety of other makes and marks but not actually on a T/A. Cheers John.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    I haven't got a Transalp 650, John, but I finally got the MT90 A/Ts out in the gravel - road works, small skittery gravel on a hard surface - and was well impressed with the way the XT225 behaved.

Downhill, round a corner - usually brown-trouser time on all the street tyres I've had and the bike performed like on tarmac.

I've somewhat forgiven the tyre's behaviour and attributed even more of my recent bad experience to my lack of experience off road in mud. The tyres are still reputedly shit in mud (but a good off-road rider may well be able to compensate) but so far I've had no problems with the MT90 A/Ts on wet and dry tarmac and gravel.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Hey all

I am about to put some new feet on the XR250

Now my plan is to go for either the

MT21 front and rear
    TkC80 front and rear

I am leaning more towards the MT21's after reading others experiences on here, and that they are quite a bit cheaper!

If you have any other suggestions please holler

Cheers

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Choosing between those two depends on how much grip you want offroad. The MT21 is a lot more aggressive & will wear faster. The TKC's will be better onroad & will last twice as long.

Given that you're starting out & won't be trying to be Boris Chambon on the tarmac I'd go for the MT21's as they'll give you heaps more confidence on the gravel where it's easier to come unstuck.

Cheers
    Clint

Has anyone tried the Michelin T63? It would fit between the 18'' TKC80 and a K760,I can fit my thumb between the knobs,but nowhere near aggressive as a K760.The knobs are big and wrap around the sides so they won't squirm on the road,I think it'll be pretty good on seal,no problem on gravel and should do some moderate off road....like it should handle mud on the flat but never climb a muddy hill.

When I got my first adventure bike with a 17'' wheel I wasn't too happy with the tyre choice,and used to look with envy at the 18'' rack.Now I've got a bike with an 18'' rear I find the choices very limited,and the 4.60x18 it's supposed to have is non existant.I went for a 120/80 with the T63,pretty close,and have a 110/100 on at the moment,but the listed size would be nice.I have spare wheels with NHS knobs on,so don't need an aggressive tyre,but finding a 50/50 DOT tyre has been a long search.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Haven't used the Michelin T63 personally but seen quite a few in use. They're similar to the Pirelli MT21 in many ways...same shite, different smell.

Don't whinge about the 4.60x18. The 640 Adventure runs the next size up which is even harder to find. There are plenty of tyres made to suit, but there are very few sitting on racks in the tyre shops in NZ. I don't think it matters what size wheels you have on your adventure bike. Every time you go see a tyre guy he's going to suck air through his teeth and proclaim it's an unusual size with limited choice.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Thread Information