Page 4 of 233 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
    On the strength of this thread, and Farqueue's recommendation of Mitas, i fitted MITAS E-07 to the Africa Twin.... The guys at Cycletreads (? not sure if that is the name- off Tuam St- Saxon St?) supplied the pair for $130 rear, $110 front. (small fee fitting per wheel, not loose). ....
    That would be Dirt Action in Saxon St.
    Don at Cycle Treads is another good guy but when last i spoke to him he didn't stock the Mitas brand.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    A quick note on the durability of the knobbier Mitas, the E09 rear tyre as used on my Transalp.
    It's now done 6400km and is about ready for a replacement, the road surface is starting to touch the tyre between the knobs down the middle so i don't think it'll last much longer. I've done a mix of stuff on this tyre. A lot of stuff fully loaded including the Kitchen sink solo and pillioned, sealed and unsealed. It might have another ride or two in it but I'm about to go to Hastings so will be changing it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6400kmMitasE09.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	49527  
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    1150GSA, Husaberg F600
    Pirelli Scorpions seem to be holding up quite well on my R1150GS Adv. I use mainly for commutng 200km+ per day. Not too many opportunities to get off road at the moment. Previous owner had TK80s on it, but they're a bit hairy in the wet on sealed rodes (as one could imagine).

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Moki View Post
    Pirelli Scorpions
    S/T or A/T?
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )

Thumbs up IRC Rubbers......

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    I run the shinko's on my KLR250 & have been having an excellent run out of them doing road / gravel rides. Great on the road in the wet & really good in the dry. Mind you the KLR does not have the power to push them around.
    Doing anything more than gravel requires a big drop in pressure from the road 24psi in the rear to a more offroad 12psi
    The wife runs the IRC's on her KLR similar on road not as good on gravel but last longer, cost more tho, then I like sliding around a bit as well.
    My current KLR650 is still on the original Dunlop K750's 21"front and 17"Rear, but on the previous KLR I ran an IRC on the rear, and it was GREAT - couldn't praise them high enough. But to be fair, I do very little mud type off roading, and they probably wouldn't be much good there. But for those whose offroading is limited to shngle, they are fantastic. I do about 60% seal, 40% gravel back roads, and they perform well on both, with good traction in the gravel, along with good braking abilities, and on the seal, the corner well enough I can scrape the pegs ( have you seen how high the footpegs are on a KLR 650 !! ) Grip well when cornering in the wet on seal too

Stu

Bike
    Sold
    I am still trying to wear out my front "Tourance" so that I can get my set of Mitas E07's fitted!
    Currently have a (mismatched) worn front tourance (out of balance now) and a Mitas E08 on the back (also possibly out of balance).
    Funny how quickly tyres wear out when you don't want them to but how long they last when you think that you would like to change them as soon as!
    I don't want to take the wheels off and balance them up just for a few Km but if the front doesn't wear out soon that's just what I will have to do.
    Slow speed wobbles are starting to get a bit embarrassing, I am sure people will be able to see it soon!
    I hope the Mitas E07's live up to my expectations, when I eventually get them on. Cheers John.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Got a fairly new E07 on front and that old rear one with 12000km already on it back on my Transalp for summer.
    I've noticed that they produce a little road noise at lower speeds. I only notice it about town, on the open road i only hear the wind.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Just for something different given the gravel/seal road tyres being tallked about. The Pirelli MT21's were on the bike when I got it. They were down to about 6-8mm of tread (not really sure) and I have done about 2000kms on them at about 20 psi so at the end of the buller trip I had about 2mm left. Was running on the carcass between the centre blocks so though time for a new tyre. Have been keen to try a Dunlop D606 for a while so went to Filco in NN. Still have the MT21 front on.

First thing I noticed was that having a "proper" profile made me so much more confident in corners. No trying to get onto and hold the ridge on the edge of the tyre. Heaps more confident now. I've done about 350kms on the D606 and so far (early days) I like the rubber compound which is not quite as hard as the MT21 so hopefully more grip on wet seal. Also I like the idea of the tread pattern which is "slightly" smaller blocks and "slightly" more closed up than the MT21 rear. Dont know but I suspect that will wear about the same cause of the closer blocks and softer compound.

Anyway best bit is the profile.

Pics of worn MT21 and new D606.

Cheers
    R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00126s.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	51212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00128s.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	51213  
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Crikey, cooneyr, that MT21 is almost as square as maha-man's tyres
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Crikey, cooneyr, that MT21 is almost as square as maha-man's tyres
    Waste not want not LOL. Yep the new profile is the best thing ever. So much better for getting round corners. I think there was too many kms with too lower pressure on the MT21.

Cheers
    R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Sold

Mitas E07 tyres on today!

Had my new Mitas E07 tyres fitted today and have done 283kms and they feel good so far.

The bike had just ticked over to 47,000km at the time of fitting the new tyres.

Took a trip around the block over the Te Akatarawa - Blackforest, return via Hakataramea last night, just to scrub them in.(172km)

With a bit of luck I should be able to get away to the Vincent rally, via Dansey Pass, Moa Creek and Raggedy Range roads, which just drops you nicely into Galloway and the rally site. Cheers John.

Bike
    Sold

Mits EO7s'

Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Had my new Mitas E07 tyres fitted today and have done 283kms and they feel good so far.

Took a trip around the block over the Te Akatarawa - Blackforest, return via Hakataramea last night, just to scrub them in.(172km)

With a bit of luck I should be able to get away to the Vincent rally, via Dansey Pass, Moa Creek and Raggedy Range roads, which just drops you nicely into Galloway and the rally site. Cheers John.
    Went to the Vincent @ Galloway as planned, came home via Crown range and my son's home at Wanaka then via a few interesting little gravel back roads between Tarras and the Lindis Pass.

I am very pleased with the Mitas EO7s' but have been a little wary of pushing them over to the full edge on the tarmac because I was unsure how far they would like to be taken.

Got off to check how close I was getting by checking the dust wiped off (by the tarmac) after being on the gravel only to find that I was already right out on the outside edge anyway!!!!!

They felt really good hanging out there too, I wonder just what they are going to be like if they let go! Ouch perhaps????

Did I say that the shop put the front one on back to front! funny thing is it seems to be doing the business OK but will turn it around as soon as I can.

They have got 804 km on them since fitting and have had a real mixed bag of tarmac, gravel and a few bits of grassy shit, there is a a bit of wear showing already but that is probably just the sharp edges coming off.

So far I have to say I feel good about them and they seem to feed back very sensitive information about the road etc and track really well in thick loose gravel, some of that at quite high speed.(limited to 99.99km/hr of course!)

I like them, "so far". Cheers John.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Glad to hear they are working out for you. Sounds like you're a bit keener in the corners on the ashfelt than I am. One day we'll get down there with time for a ride with ya.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Excellent.
    E07's are going on the DR as soon as possible.
    Who is the NZ importer?

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Hi John,

Would love to catch up for a ride sometime, that Te Akatarawa block sounds just the ticket.

Anyway, just replaced rear Tyre on the current KLR on Saturday, the original Dunlop being TOTALLY trashed ( and in a slightly illegal state ) by 6400kms. Don at Cycletreads reccomended a Bridgestone TW42 and I've only done about 500km on it so far, all seal and already showing more centre wear than I would have expected, but grips VERY well cornering on seal ( still have the original Dunlop on the front ). Have a shingle / farm track ride tomorrow ( see under Waitangi Day wanderings ) so will check out it's shingle abilities then.....

Thread Information