Page 230 of 233 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 3486

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Shinko 244's go well, better on lighter bikes. Really like the compound, very E07'ish in the way they grip at lower pressures.
    MT21's are great on the front and crap on the rear once they lose their edges, unless you like steering with the throttle.
    An MT21 with the 244 compound would be great.

244's are bloody good value for money.
    I'll still rate the 705's though

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    What ks are you getting out of the MT21s? They ok in sand and mud? I'm looking at doing some trail rides.

I was thinking of the MT21s or a Motoz Adventure for the back and a MT21 front.
    I've run a few front MT21's & they're good for 7K km probably, but they're only about $100 so if you're doing some gnarlyer rides you'd chuck on a fresh sharp one more often than that. They are a good compromise for sand/mud while still being OK on the road. That said I've got a set of Motoz Desert HT on at the mo, first front I've run of those & I think I like it more than the MT21, grips real nice offroad & seems ok on tarmac. Bit early to tell on the wear but it's not disappearing too fast. Plus they're like 90 bucks.

I've burned up a few of the matching Motoz Desert HT rears now & they're great - grip like an MT21 offroad but last much longer. As good or better than a D606 for much less $$. The hard compound means you need to take care on wet tarmac though.

Something more durable on the rear like that Motoz Adv, Shinko 244 or a Mitas EO-7 is always a good plan if you are racking up the kms commuting or something. I swap between something knobby front & back the the Motoz deserts, or my higher mileage set is an EO-7 rear & a Dunlop D605 front. Good to keep in practice changing tyres

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    . The hard compound means you need to take care on wet tarmac though.

Clint
    Isn't that always the compromise with adventure tyres though - off-road performance vs on-road performance in the wet
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Shinko 244's go well, better on lighter bikes. Really like the compound, very E07'ish in the way they grip at lower pressures.
    MT21's are great on the front and crap on the rear once they lose their edges, unless you like steering with the throttle.

Some are saying the 705 are rubbish but I have not found that, sure wet grip is not superb but you can crank the GSA up pretty good on a dry road with them.
    Talk of 804/805 being better on the road but I expect the would move around more (even if the grip well) loosing some steering feel. (thats what the E10's were like)
    plus be a lot noisier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180721_104701.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	823.9 KB 
ID:	338510  

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    Some are saying the 705 are rubbish but I have not found that, sure wet grip is not superb but you can crank the GSA up pretty good on a dry road with them.
    Talk of 804/805 being better on the road but I expect the would move around more (even if the grip well) loosing some steering feel. (thats what the E10's were like)
    plus be a lot noisier
    I'm a fan of the 705's. Had a 705 rear on my TDM, the lead frame model, and it was tickety boo. Wet grip on over banding, white lines etc could be skittish but not to the point of scary. Dry grip was never an issue, lean and grin. Very controllable on gravel and excellent life span.

The 705's have had issues de-laminating on big bikes at high temperatures and high speeds. Two up on a fully loaded GS 12 tonne @ 100mph for a week....

The first 705 I used started to blister and tear at about 2000km, was replaced for free. Thanks shinko. The replacement was replaced when it fossilised before wearing away it's tread. They probably sell well in Scotland...

The 705's on my G/F's DT 230 should be in Te Papa but are still legal and grippy. They've been "blued" quite often and drifted really well over the Managamukas in the rain. The tighter my sphincter puckered, the faster Mrs Rossi went. Quote - "They were only little slides and it was fun.." The consequences could have been catastrophic, the love of my life firing off into the shrubbery and hurting the DT. Unforgivable.

Yeah, good tyres. If you do big miles, have some savvy and throttle control, they are excellent bang for the $$.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Hey George I've not been around these parts for a while, how you going ?

In regard to 705's agree they are fine My GSA can run with the sports bikes in the Dry, in the wet one does need to back it down but TC does help that.

I'm thinking they may have fixed the early delamination issues as have not heard of that in comments for years now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180721_104654.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	338511  

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Loved the 705's on my DR650 and TT350.
    In a few months I'll find out how they go on the Transalp 700.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    Hey George I've not been around these parts for a while, how you going ?

In regard to 705's agree they are fine My GSA can run with the sports bikes in the Dry, in the wet one does need to back it down but TC does help that.

I'm thinking they may have fixed the early delamination issues as have not heard of that in comments for years now
    Kia ora. Not riding enough....

Do you still have the RMX? Classy bike...

I suspect some of the tyre issues reported were due to running the cross ply tyre on big bikes rather than the radial.

I'm keen to give these a go at some point for my mixed riding on the TDM. Avon Trailrider
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post

How do you reckon the 244s would go under a 650?

My MT21s are just about gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R

I ran a few on the rear of my klr, really rated them.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I ran a few on the rear of my klr, really rated them.
    No I mean a proper 650...... Bwhahahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    I still like the Shinko 700 for ADV use..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    After more than 3,000km on my current tyres I'm very happy - not much wear and they seem to perform very well on dry or wet roads whether sealed or gravel.
    I'm using a Continental TKC-80 on the front and after 3,000km it still has plenty of tread left, nowhere near halfway worn.
    On the rear I'm using an E07 which also has plenty of tread left and is also nowhere near halfway worn.

For "true" offroad use on single track with slippery mud - I wouldn't want to use anything less than 10/90 knobblies. But for normal adventure riding with a mix of sealed roads, gravel roads, some dirt and some grass - I'd be happy to replace my tyres with the same again. I do occasionally notice a little rumble at slow speeds, but it is minor and I never notice it as faster speeds. The original 90/10 tyres worked fine on dry sealed roads, but I ditched them after 1,100km because I just didn't want to ride on gravel with road tyres. The TKC-80 tyre on the front allows me to get decent braking on gravel when necessary, in fact I have to really try hard to get the ABS pulses coming through my brake lever.

When I had the DR650 I tried using an E07 on the front & rear. I liked the rear but wasn't 100% impressed with the front. I was always a little worried about the front 'washing out' on gravel or dirt, feeling like I really wanted a little more aggressive tread in front - maybe 40/60 instead of 50/50. The TKC-80 is a 40/60 and I do in fact very much prefer it to the E07.
    For a good combination of performance and longevity - I thoroughly recommend the E07 rear/TKC-80 front mix.

I never did like the Shinko E700 tyres I tried with the DR650. They didn't last long enough, which made them more expensive per km than the E07. They performed very well on the seal but weren't great on gravel or dirt, especially as they wore down.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    FransAlp 700

The go well, but they wear quite quickly. A very good gravel tyre.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    No I mean a proper 650...... Bwhahahahahaha
    That KLR was 680cc

Thread Information