Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 477

Thread: The dogs' Hornet mods

  1. #61
    Join Date
    31st July 2005 - 21:18
    Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Location
    Kelson, Wgtn
    Posts
    5,693
    1. About 230kms on a tank before hitting reserve (96).
    2. Not a hell of a lot under the seat. Its a one peice, but because of the exhaust system its kinda restrictive.
    3. F*ck yeah!!! Its as torquey as anything so you can accelerate without worrying about what gear youre in.
    4. Rear only until about '04. '05 is both front and back (2way I think).
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

  2. #62
    Join Date
    15th September 2004 - 22:33
    Bike
    Hornet 900
    Location
    Capital town
    Posts
    3,460
    I'll second all of that and add that you can get a new shock installed which helps with handling and adjustability, hubby dearest rides mine with an Ohlins shock in it and always comments that they feel like completely different bikes (ie. mine is crap loads more comfortable, stable and just generally cooler than his!!) Haha
    Mrs KD.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    24th February 2006 - 13:53
    Bike
    Nothing
    Location
    West
    Posts
    816
    Hey Kendog, have your Ultra Low bars not arrived yet? I have ordered a pair from the UK and am now also playing the waiting game. Did you fit the low ones yourself or did you have them put on?
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    14th December 2004 - 14:37
    Bike
    little suzy, little ho
    Location
    welly
    Posts
    54
    I got some Rizoma bars like these,

    http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/prod...products_id=51

    Easy to do yourself, had previously removed the locating pins in the controls for some Renthal drag style bars that turned into a pain in the arse due to throttle stick http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/im...s/surprise.gif
    , tank clearance and control location issues, in comparison the Rizomas bolted straight up, don't hit the tank and are about 1-2" lower.

    Give it a go, as long as you take care it's not a major.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    24th February 2006 - 13:53
    Bike
    Nothing
    Location
    West
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by rua View Post
    I got some Rizoma bars like these,

    http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/prod...products_id=51

    Easy to do yourself, had previously removed the locating pins in the controls for some Renthal drag style bars that turned into a pain in the arse due to throttle stick http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/im...s/surprise.gif
    , tank clearance and control location issues, in comparison the Rizomas bolted straight up, don't hit the tank and are about 1-2" lower.

    Give it a go, as long as you take care it's not a major.
    Cheers, can you post up some pics of your bike with the new bars on? Do you find they have made a big difference to the vibes and seating position? Did you put anything on the bars before replacing all the switches etc? (some people have mentioned putting some inner tube rubber between the switches and the bars).
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    5th November 2006 - 00:36
    Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness
    Location
    East Auckland
    Posts
    688
    Just caught up with this thread. You truly have two awesome bikes there Mr and Mrs Kendog

  7. #67
    Join Date
    12th January 2006 - 21:00
    Bike
    .................
    Location
    ...............
    Posts
    186
    The bikes look hot, like the look of the red wheels. Was going to mention the front lights but thought it might sound like critisicm, now that you are onto that line of thought I think a more sporty light would make them look real trick.
    Its one of the things I have thought about for my VTR along with a couple of other options but since I won't be owning it too long I will wait for the next bike to do some upgrades.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    14th December 2004 - 14:37
    Bike
    little suzy, little ho
    Location
    welly
    Posts
    54
    wickedone, yeah tried the thing about tire tube, found it too thick, couple of rounds of tape have done the trick without bowing the control clamps yet keeping them stable, trial and error I am afraid.

    Will try and borrow a digi camera and get some pics.

    Not too sure re the vibs, got some bar ends from Rizoma at the same time (originals seem to reflect the budget price of the hornet, in the bin), as for feel, waiting for the 27th when my demerits are reset and I’m legal again, will let you know.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    24th February 2006 - 13:53
    Bike
    Nothing
    Location
    West
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by rua View Post
    wickedone, yeah tried the thing about tire tube, found it too thick, couple of rounds of tape have done the trick without bowing the control clamps yet keeping them stable, trial and error I am afraid.

    Will try and borrow a digi camera and get some pics.

    Not too sure re the vibs, got some bar ends from Rizoma at the same time (originals seem to reflect the budget price of the hornet, in the bin), as for feel, waiting for the 27th when my demerits are reset and I’m legal again, will let you know.
    I was wondering if it would be too thick and had thought of using some insulation tape as well, will probably do so if I don't find anything else suitable. Yeah, keep us posted, only 10 days to go!!!!!!
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    15th September 2004 - 22:33
    Bike
    Hornet 900
    Location
    Capital town
    Posts
    3,460
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedOne View Post
    Hey Kendog, have your Ultra Low bars not arrived yet? I have ordered a pair from the UK and am now also playing the waiting game. Did you fit the low ones yourself or did you have them put on?
    Good timing, I got an email yesterday saying they have arrived. I should have them on Thursday. That is only 7 months after I first said I want them
    Gives new meaning to the term "slow boat from....."

    I am not very competent with stuff like this so will have the bike shop swap them over. My bars are going on Mrs KD's bike and new ones onto mine.
    I will post a review of them once I have been for a ride.

    I will dig up some instructions on installing these bars on the Hornet, were pretty good from memory.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    12th September 2004 - 16:29
    Bike
    Z50
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    588
    Not quite Hornet related but got a set of the Renthal street Ultra-lows from a mate last week. They have the same bend as the stock Z1000 bars but are about an inch lower. They are also about an inch wider in total than the Z's standard bars. I think they're about 725mm.

    Initial riding experience, I lean a bit more forward and it seemed the wind wasn't as much of an issue, compared to stock... I didn't notice the extra width when under way but I've only done one short ride. If anything, all I noticed was the angle at which the bars were, just since it fealt different. I've rotated them back a bit but haven't been out again...

    The drilling of the holes for the switch gear was easy, though I got my measurements a few mm off on the throttle side. I also had to get a set of Zeta bar-end inserts, to which I mounted the standard Z weights...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bar Z.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	51045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bar Ren.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	51046  
    Last edited by Nutter34; 16th January 2007 at 17:36. Reason: Added pictures.
    "You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."

  12. #72
    Join Date
    15th September 2004 - 22:33
    Bike
    Hornet 900
    Location
    Capital town
    Posts
    3,460
    Here are the installation instructions step by step.

    http://www.the2hands.btinternet.co.u...s/Page_2x.html

    Personally I am not a fan of drilling.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    11th December 2004 - 20:46
    Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Location
    In a boot
    Posts
    5,251
    Blog Entries
    38
    The bars were on a slow boat from Mars honey.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    24th February 2006 - 13:53
    Bike
    Nothing
    Location
    West
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    Good timing, I got an email yesterday saying they have arrived. I should have them on Thursday. That is only 7 months after I first said I want them
    Gives new meaning to the term "slow boat from....."

    I am not very competent with stuff like this so will have the bike shop swap them over. My bars are going on Mrs KD's bike and new ones onto mine.
    I will post a review of them once I have been for a ride.

    I will dig up some instructions on installing these bars on the Hornet, were pretty good from memory.
    Well timed indeed, holy crap, 7 months is insane, they must have done a few trips around the world before getting here!!! Look forward to hearing your feedback and seeing some pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by rdrzcbr View Post
    Not quite Hornet related but got a set of the Renthal street Ultra-lows from a mate last week. They have the same bend as the stock Z1000 bars but are about an inch lower. They are also about an inch wider in total than the Z's standard bars. I think they're about 725mm.

    Initial riding experience, I lean a bit more forward and it seemed the wind wasn't as much of an issue, compared to stock... I didn't notice the extra width when under way but I've only done one short ride. If anything, all I noticed was the angle at which the bars were, just since it fealt different. I've rotated them back a bit but haven't been out again...

    The drilling of the holes for the switch gear was easy, though I got my measurements a few mm off on the throttle side. I also had to get a set of Zeta bar-end inserts, to which I mounted the standard Z weights...
    Hi rdrzcbr, cheers for the feedback, I don't think I will drill the bars because this is what it states on the Renthal site:

    Fitting Notes

    It is very important when fitting the handlebars that any sharp edges are removed from the handlebar mounts where they come in contact with the handlebar (see illustration 1). Failure to remove these sharp edges could lead to a fatigue failure.

    To make sure that the handlebar is aligned centrally use the laser marked positioning grid for centre and rotational location (see illustration 3). The positioning grid also allows you to replace the handlebars in exactly the same position should you need to remove the handlebar from the bike for any reason.

    IMPORTANT WARNINGS

    Do not modify the handlebars.

    Do not centre punch or in any way mark the handlebar. Physical marking of the handlebar can lead to stress raisers.

    Do not clean the handlebar with any form of metal polish or concentrated cleaning fluids.

    The use of these products could damage the anodised finish of the handlebars. Note that now even Silver 7/8" handlebars are anodised.
    Please keep us posted though!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    Here are the installation instructions step by step.

    http://www.the2hands.btinternet.co.u...s/Page_2x.html

    Personally I am not a fan of drilling.
    Cheers mate, I would have to agree, I aint going to take the risk of drilling them!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Kendog View Post
    The bars were on a slow boat from Mars honey.
    Yeah, that is an understatement, I am sure a trip from Mars could have been done quicker!!!!
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    9th January 2005 - 22:12
    Bike
    Street Triple R
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    7,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    I'll second all of that and add that you can get a new shock installed which helps with handling and adjustability, hubby dearest rides mine with an Ohlins shock in it and always comments that they feel like completely different bikes (ie. mine is crap loads more comfortable, stable and just generally cooler than his!!) Haha
    Mrs KD.

    I think Ive said before that the Ohlins shock in mine (with new fork springs as well) is the single best improvement I have ever made to any bike. And I only got the "cheap"* Ohlins shock.




    *relatively......
    In the white room, with black curtains, at the station

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •