Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The dogs' Hornet mods

Bike
    Hornet 900

The dogs' Hornet mods

One thing I love about these forums is seeing what other people have done to their bikes, it inspires me to do new things to mine.

The Hornet is a very 'mod-able' bike, so over the last 7 months I have had a good time not only riding it but personalising it.

If you are into this sort of thing or have a Hornet, read on. If not......

Exhaust:
    Changing these was not in the plans until we heard Skelstars ‘baffelectomied’ exhausts, they sounded much better than the whisper quiet sound the hornet is know for. As I am not mechanically minded thought I would pop in Cycleworks for an opinion, 2 weeks later and both bikes sport some damn nice looking pipes that sound fantastic (compared to the originals at least). Bike seems to rev a lot more freely now as well. Good guys at Cycleworks 

Wheels:
    These were red when I got the bike. I was going to have them painted when I was buying it but the paint shop was closed for the xmas holidays. Now I like them red, makes the bike pretty unique.

Handle bars:
    Replaced with Renthal low bars. Was looking for more width, a bit lower and to remove the vibes at 5000 rpm. Got two of the three, but these bars feel no lower than stock.

Mirrors:
    Replaced with Rizoma Impulsive mirrors. Not cheap, but damn these are good mirrors. Almost limitless adjustability and a great view behind. They also look damn good on the bike I reckon.

Indicators:
    Replaced the large Honda stock indicators with Oxfords front and rear. The rears are a pretty decent size and flash at the normal speed. The front ones are the ‘micros’, they look good but I think they are a bit small and result in a very fast flash rate.

Screen:
    The bike came with the standard Honda screen, which is a smokey brown colour (why Honda??) A few coats of mat black on the inside and it came up nicely.

Engine nuts:
    Painted black (inspired by et al)

Radiator:
    Car grill added to the front (chopped to size and attached with plastic ties) Purchased red grill from super cheap autos (inspired by Dr Hook) but the red was not the right red and looked a little funny, so painted it black.
    Painted the side silver covers black.

Grab rail:
    Remove this and covered the holes with Rizoma hole caps. Makes the rear end look a lot more stream lined.

Side triangle covers:
    Not sure what these are for, but I like the look without them.

Rear guard:
    Chopped this right down to the indicator mounts, re drilled a new licence plate and mounted as high up as possible. Only down side to this is the rear gets pretty dirty when riding on wet roads.

Rego and Warrant:
    These were mounted on the rear guard. As I chopped this down I needed to move them somewhere. So mounted the reg to the side of the hugger and the warrant to the inside of the rear foot peg.

Rear foot pegs:
    While mounting the warrant found the foot guard was getting in the way so removed it. Looks a little tidier without it.

Flapper mod:
    Blocked the air intake pipe thingy. This is the first mod I did based on a lot of people on various forums saying they did this and the bike sounded and felt better. To be honest didn’t really notice the difference.

Side plastic covers:
    The colour of these was a little dark for the bike. When Mrs KD got her bike the colour of hers was a little light. Quick swap and problem solved.

Honda stickers:
    My bike had ‘CB900 Hornet’ as a sticker on the side plastic covers, the other bike did not have these. After the swap there was nothing on the bike to say what it was. Went to Blue cat graphics and they made some for me.

Crash knobs:
    Some oggy crash knobs fitted for those unfortunate moments. Proved there worth during a ‘lovingly place the bike on the ground’ incident.

Horn:
    Swung in towards the middle of the bike so it is not sticking out so much.

Tyre pressure and chain sticker:
    Removed these from the swing arm and chain guard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	791.7 KB 
ID:	36860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	724.9 KB 
ID:	36861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	911.6 KB 
ID:	36862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	710.6 KB 
ID:	36863  

Bike
    Hornet 900

Mrs Kendogs mods

Has almost all the above done as well as the following.

Seat:
    The problem with this bike is it is a little too high for Mrs KD. Reducing the seat height was the first step in correcting this. Sent the stock seat off to Macdonald trimmers in Tauranga (Rider seats). The result was a fantastic looking and very comfortable seat, especially compared to the firm stock seat. The height had dropped a little but still need to go down more, so onto the next mod.
    Thank Groins NZ for the lend of your seat while ours was away.

Suspension:
    A lot of people talked about lowering the bike by adjusting the rear shock. Unfortunately the rear of the Hornet was not set up for this, with the only option being chopping the stock shock down, which could impact on performance and ride comfort (which was already very firm and bouncy)
    After hours on various forums looking at other options discovered Ohlins make a couple of shocks for the hornet that lower the bike. Got in touch with Robert Taylor at Hawera Motorcycles who imported and installed the shock for us. Not only is the bike lower now but the ride has improved as well.

Name:	T1.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	817.5 KB 
ID:	36864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T2.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	900.4 KB 
ID:	36865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T3.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	754.9 KB 
ID:	36866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T4.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	983.1 KB 
ID:	36867  

Bike
    Hornet 900

And some nice together pics to finish

Hope you enjoy

Name:	Both1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	906.9 KB 
ID:	36868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Both.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	713.3 KB 
ID:	36869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Both2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	868.8 KB 
ID:	36870  

nice kendog and mrs kendog

two awsome looking machiens

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Nice. The last photo looks real good eh?

Btw - official price from those Rizomi mirrors (pair).
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Nothing
    Hey Kendog (Mr & Mrs). The Hornets look awesome, very good job!!!!!
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    Nice. The last photo looks real good eh?

Btw - official price from those Rizomi mirrors (pair).
    $214 US a pair including adaptors

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Hey guys, bikes look awesome ! Half the fun in owning a bike is making it individual

Bike
    Sold
    Well done Kendog, you've got both bikes looking tip top! Those aftermarket cannisters finish them off nicely and that custom seat of your Mrs looks sharp. Nice pics too.

*bling*

Hey kendog would you mind taking a couple of good photos of mrs kendog seat for us and emailing thru to mac at work?

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Hey kendog would you mind taking a couple of good photos of mrs kendog seat for us and emailing thru to mac at work?
    I cant believe you asked for a pic of Mr K's missus's seat! Hes a very violent man you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Beatles
    The celebrated Mr K, will perform his feats on Saturday at Bishops Gate!
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Sure thing

Bike
    None, sold.
    Good work guys. I love the way that people are buying Hornets as a "blank canvas" bike.

Dave

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar
    I cant believe you asked for a pic of Mr K's missus's seat! Hes a very violent man you know!
    Classic.

I always say bikes with chicks on them are better photos

Quote Originally Posted by Beatles
    In this way Mr. K will challenge the world.

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    They both look incredibly awesome

Quote Originally Posted by RantyDave
    Good work guys. I love the way that people are buying Hornets as a "blank canvas" bike.
    Well they've inspired me. It'll be easy enough for me to save up for one by next year and it'll be a smarter, less suicidal option over a SP1/RSV1000

Thread Information