Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucket racing

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb
    Hi Dave

Will email those photos soon. I downloaded the application form for Vic club and my race license today.
    Know anyone with some cheap leathers for sale? I'd rather not use my good ones.
    I do actually-I saw a 200 set perfect for bucketting
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ/FROSTY
    I do actually-I saw a 200 set perfect for bucketting
    Cool, got any more info? I'm 5'9" - 5'10" and about 75kg.

My 'good ones' are a $1200 set of Dianese, which is why I'd rather not use them for bucketing.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    ill find out how big they are and post it up
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb
    Cool, got any more info? I'm 5'9" - 5'10" and about 75kg.

My 'good ones' are a $1200 set of Dianese, which is why I'd rather not use them for bucketing.
    Why would you want to wear less than your best protective gear?,the grounds just as hard falling off a bucket as it is off any other bike and one of the most serious injuries I saw down here last season was from racing buckets.

I guess when people ask how you scuffed your flash leathers it doesn't sound quite as good saying I crashed my bucket
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    ninja 250
    Surely any bucket housed in a RS125 frame is going to be illegal? Wasnt one of the main rules was no competition race parts allowed, so ruling out road race and MX engine, brakes etc? Why not just import a moriwaki 80, theres a few racing in Oz?
    Guys used to run CB100's with XR200 based engines, these were pretty quick.
    Since sold my two strokes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	2459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTR2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	2462  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    No read the rules, no competition engine parts, chassis have always been free, as are carbs & ignitions
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    Why would you want to wear less than your best protective gear?,the grounds just as hard falling off a bucket as it is off any other bike and one of the most serious injuries I saw down here last season was from racing buckets.

I guess when people ask how you scuffed your flash leathers it doesn't sound quite as good saying I crashed my bucket
    Leathers on their own only stop abrasion injury. The speeds are lower so the quality of leather doesn’t necessarily need to be top notch as it doesn’t have to slide for as long, that does not excuse seams that burst though. The armour however should be just as good. That is where you should put your money.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave
    Leathers on their own only stop abrasion injury. The speeds are lower so the quality of leather doesn’t necessarily need to be top notch as it doesn’t have to slide for as long, that does not excuse seams that burst though. The armour however should be just as good. That is where you should put your money.

Good point I keep forgetting its mostly short track racing up there,apart from Blenheim we mostly run larger circuits.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by gav
    Surely any bucket housed in a RS125 frame is going to be illegal? Wasnt one of the main rules was no competition race parts allowed, so ruling out road race and MX engine, brakes etc? Why not just import a moriwaki 80, theres a few racing in Oz?
    Guys used to run CB100's with XR200 based engines, these were pretty quick.
    Since sold my two strokes.
    A rs125 would be no fun at mt wellington without some work
    They simply dont turn in fast enough.
    as for moriwaki 80 etc as I understand the new rules you can run up to 100cc water cooled in open buckets -to cater for just that sort of motor.
    Again though dont be suprised at mt wellington if ya get overrrun by the 4 stroke boys.
    on the bigger cuircuits yep itd be great fun

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The moriwaki is by definition a competition engine & therefore not eligiable, as is MX & kart engines so also not eligiable.

The RS chassis I always thought would not be suitable for tight courses but awsome for more flowing tracks. Perhaps it can be jacked up a bit. was an idea, but they are a bit long.

They are too long eh?. Not so at all! Just throw them on their sides & they turn with the best of them. Better in fact.

They are the same length as an RG50 which in turn is much shorter than most other bikes. On Sunday we raced in a carpark with the tightest corners (& I have raced Mt Wgtn for 6x 2 hours & 2 GPs so I know it well enough) but the RS framed 50s were kicking everyones arses 100s, 140 fourstrokes et all.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    [QUOTE=XJ/FROSTY as I understand the new rules you can run up to 100cc water cooled in open buckets [/QUOTE]

Actually the "new" rules, which are about 7 years old now, didn't change that aspect of the rules at all. 100cc watercooled motors have been allowed forever as long as they meet all the other requirements.

The new rules upped the 4-stroke capacity limit to 140cc, allowed 125cc 2-strokes if they were aircooled and only had a 24mm carb, and 100cc 4-strokes were allowed into F5. Nothing got outlawed and nothing was made obsolete. The winning buckets still comply with the "old" rules with the exception (sometimes) of some John Connor built 140cc CB125Ts.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    [QUOTE=F5 Dave]The moriwaki is by definition a competition engine & therefore not eligiable, as is MX & kart engines so also not eligiable.

The RS chassis I always thought would not be suitable for tight courses but awsome for more flowing tracks. Perhaps it can be jacked up a bit. was an idea, but they are a bit long.

They are too long eh?. Not so at all! Just throw them on their sides & they turn with the best of them. Better in fact.

Well shit a brick dude You live and learn I saw the rs125's getting embarrressed at mt wellington and just thought they diddnt turn fast enough like you did - I wonder then how the fxr chassis will work

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    F5 dave on his RS125 framed 50 last weekend.

Dave, pm me your email address so I can send the 3 photos through, they're much the same as this one but with more background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 Dave.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	2469  
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Eddie, though pity it was a pic when I’m only 15 degrees from vertical, hardly illustrates my point, but this was a fast corner, mumble excuse etc. . .

Some people are using 250cc chassis & getting on ok, but that is a limitation. The FXR is considerably smaller & should be fine esp. compared with most buckets archaic chassis. Having said that I’m surprised how well a G4TR Kawa 100 can be made to handle.

Bike
    ninja 250
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave
    Thanks Eddie, though pity it was a pic when I’m only 15 degrees from vertical, hardly illustrates my point, but this was a fast corner, mumble excuse etc. . .

Some people are using 250cc chassis & getting on ok, but that is a limitation. The FXR is considerably smaller & should be fine esp. compared with most buckets archaic chassis. Having said that I’m surprised how well a G4TR Kawa 100 can be made to handle.
    ah yes the old Good 4 Track Racing kawi , the ole rotary valve motor sure could hum, been there, done that!

Thread Information