Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the point

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master
    I love all kinds of bikes, I havnt had the chance to ride on a real big crusier yet (one day hehe) but I rode an 89 xj600 which has a cruiser style riding postion, and it was so comfortable. xj's are unstable as hell, but its a nice comfy ride :P Dirt bikes are just plain nuts. All bikes are great, used for differnt things but equall in cool.
    RM, uummm I dont know what was wrong with that bike you rode mate but XJ's are not really a cruiser, and they were renowned for being really quite stable bikes. I used to have an XJ900, and my mate had the XJ650 turbo, while they are an upright tourer style I dont think you could really call it a cruiser.
    Still, each to their own eh?
    I have a history of riding cruisers, tourers and sport bikes, I love em all for different reasons, cruisers get me where I want to go while enjoying the scenery and they make for good talking points.
    Tourers are great for long distance and will do respectable in the twisties while carrying a bit of gear and handle most things well.
    Sport bikes bring out the inner idiot in me and entice me to go a lot faster than I know I should, and make me feel like taking risks.
    As I have aged a bit I now realise that I dont heal as fast as I used to and I have better things to do with my time than lie in a hospital bed waiting to be able to scratch what itches.
    I still have a dirtbike cause they are just fun!

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    suzuki intruder vs1400 04
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke
    Yep, I know it's an older thread but hey it's nightshift and I'm desperate for something to take my mind off this fuggin' shithole...

I can't say I'm in to the whole "cruiser" thing but one of my mates traded in his gixxer on a Harley and when I stopped coughing up beer, he explained it to me like this: it's the only bike he'd found that he could have fun on at close to the speed limit. I nearly understood where he was coming from.....

I can see the attraction with all the roundy roundy, up and down bits and bobs on display too. Although ya gotta laugh at all the technology that goes into making something look old...oops, sorry "retro" is new word...or is that "old" word...er, you know what I mean...

All sportsbikes look the same? Sure their function dictates a certain similarity of form but to say a Ducati 916 looks like a Triumph Daytona, looks like a Honda SP1/2, looks like an MV Agusta, looks like an Aprilia Mille is beyond belief.

If you don't like 'em that's cool, but don't knock 'em when the average cruiser range comes in a choice of two colours with a mandatory side order of chrome. And can ANYONE really tell at a glance the difference between a Volusia, Intruder, V-Star, Vulcan, Harley as it glides by? At least all those V twins sound different don't they? Er, maybe not....

It would be a boring day on the Rimutaka's without the "chrome plated armchairs" showering the cagers with sparks as they glide majestically from corner to corner so enjoy whatever you ride and don't let anybody spoil it for you. This applies to everyone ....except for those dirty smelly pox ridden Honda's, torch 'em if you see 'em!

Arguing over such an objective thing as personal taste/style (or lack) is as useless as my writing here, but at least I've wasted a few minutes of work time and hopefully you've done the same by reading it.
    If you,re not into cruisers then the chances of knowing at a glance what a particular make/model of cruiser is as it, ''glides'' by would be rather slim.Myself,and i,m sure a few other cruiser riders would make the same comment about sportbikes with their limited colour selection and the ''mandatory side order of plastic''but who cares, ride what you like,like what you ride.Btw, not a bad effort on the word play but it was still a piss take none the less.

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Can we vote this thread off the island?

Bike
    none
    Last time I checked Carver I was faster than you lol. May have been cause you were on a motard though. Don't go knocking cruisers till you ride one.

You wouldn't be able to follow me from Hamilton to Wellington on your bike cause you would have to stop and stretch before you had to fuel up for gas again where as I can do it only getting off the bike to fuel up and pay.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    trx 850

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by selectedgrub
    Fucking oath!!
    Fuck off clown...
    lol , tell him how you really feel mate.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Frankly, I don't care what you're on - if it's a bike, or even a scooter, that's OK by me. I have had sportsters and cruisers and trial bikes. I like them all. And if you can't understand, say a Harley, then get out and try one.

Bike
    Prefer Buell but not a snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    Different strokes.........

You won't find the cruiser riders in the sprot bike forums, pouring pathetic streams of scorn on another man's ride.

That's the difference.........
    So true...and even tho I now ride a Buell ( definately NO cruiser ) I am still loyal to HDs

Quote Originally Posted by selectedgrub View Post
    Fucking oath!!
    Fuck off clown...
    LOL! yeah man!

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    And sell it they will.I wonder what the differences on ownership terms are for HD's and sportsbikes? Most people I see with Harley's keep them for many years before changing,sportsbike riders seem to get a new bike several times a year....
    Maybe its becos they just aren't gettin' no satisfaction?
    Cruiser owners to tend to hold onto their bikes longer, cos they are fun to ride, comfortable, great to tour on... etc etc
    Even tho I sold my Harley I still need a fix everynow and then... and I'll take a demo Harley for a blat... sigh! I always come back wishing I was loaded and could afford to have 2 bikes!

I know some people reckon that the cruiser riding position is unomfortable but really it is a very individual thing, some people just 'fit' a cruiser better than a sprots bike. I used to think my Harley was the ultimate in comfort but as soon as I test rode the Buell it was if it had been purpose built for me. The ultimate in comfort, but other people probably wouldn't think so...
    Each to their own!
    ...it is better to live 1 day as a Tiger than 1000 years as a sheep...

Bike
    2008 105th Ann Ultra Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
    But i sorry i can not understand why people want Harley's to me they are just over priced pieces of shit. On average you can buy 2 japers for the price of 1 harley.
    But when it come to sell the Harley I can still buy a new shit jappa and have some money left over to beg forgiveness for buying a jappa!
    Ride and Have Fun

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy stu View Post
    and i wave at anyone (apart from H-D riders)

SNOB
    Ride and Have Fun

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Believe it....

I wouldn't have a clue what they all are - it's not like dirt bikes where they are all colour coded.Sorry - they all look the same to me....
    The only time that they are all the same is when they are in the showroom next to each other. Once the owner gets the bike they bling them up and make them their own
    Ride and Have Fun

Bike
    06' VTX 1300
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    and the poor turning circle.
    Well I love the cruiser, and to tell the truth, I have never yet managed to pull off a full lock 120km turn, so I guess that little problem wont be bothering me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    im just wondering you see....is it mainly image?
    Damn straight it is, hell those dear old babes in thier hot mobility scooters never even gave me a sideways glance untill I got me a cruiser.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Last time I checked Carver I was faster than you lol. May have been cause you were on a motard though. Don't go knocking cruisers till you ride one.

You wouldn't be able to follow me from Hamilton to Wellington on your bike cause you would have to stop and stretch before you had to fuel up for gas again where as I can do it only getting off the bike to fuel up and pay.
    dude, wouldn't i?
    i rode my hyosung from paraparaumu to hailton, only stopping to eat, gas up, and take photo's....i could have ridden to the top of the north island, the GT was that comfy! the yammy wasn't though...i would have a sore ass.
    the thing is, im no sportsbike man myself, but i like naked bikes, and dirt bikes....you can cruise on say...a ER6N kwaka.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    I wanted a Cruiser at first - was going to start on a VT250 Magna - and yes - it was all image. The bubble burst for me when I actually sat on one coz the main reason for getting a bike for me was the commute closely followed by weekend riding.

So I've gone for a bit of compromise - no fairing (well just a little bit) so you can see the little V-Twin but an upright position for visibility. best of both worlds.

this is not to say I'll never get a cruiser nor that I'll never get a full on sports bike.

Pros and cons for both - fitness for purpose - some very good reasons for both being voiced in other posts - shame about those who descended to mindless abuse...when it's not even witty.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries

finally

Quote Originally Posted by Big McJim View Post
    I wanted a Cruiser at first - was going to start on a VT250 Magna - and yes - it was all image. The bubble burst for me when I actually sat on one coz the main reason for getting a bike for me was the commute closely followed by weekend riding.

So I've gone for a bit of compromise - no fairing (well just a little bit) so you can see the little V-Twin but an upright position for visibility. best of both worlds.

this is not to say I'll never get a cruiser nor that I'll never get a full on sports bike.

Pros and cons for both - fitness for purpose - some very good reasons for both being voiced in other posts - shame about those who descended to mindless abuse...when it's not even witty.
    Ah hah..
    Someone who has something to say that makes sense and is what i started this post for
    bling awarded.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Personally, I hate this whole thing of "putting yourself in a box". In fact... I wrote a feature on the subject!

My wife has owned two cruisers over the last few years- and I've enjoyed riding both bikes. Just like I enjoyed riding all the bikes I've owned over the years. And pretty much any other bike I've been lucky enough to throw a leg over.

Riding a cruiser is a very different experience - take a more laid-back view, relax into it and take the time to re-programme your brain. That said, I must confess to getting a real kick out of hammering an XV250 Virago to top speed, zooming past an unsuspecting car driver (you're so low down they can just about see your head as you fly past), then flicking it into the lane in front of them!

But as I say in my ramblings - try different bikes with an open mind - it'll be a surprise what you get out of it.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Thread Information