Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5

Where Do I Start?

Just finished "Stranger In A Strange Land" Robert A. Heinlein. An Oldie but a goodie. Would freak out a few people in the Reg. Rav. Thread if I started to quote it!
    I like to keep books I've enjoyed reading and reread them when I feel in the mood.
    Had a large collection but been selling some because I felt I was reading too often (Idiot, because I'm having to rebuy them now as I can afford and find them), and because my exwife (who read the same books as I did) got half (well more than half) of the books when we separated
    Here just a few that I have enjoyed:
    Anne McCaffrey - Dragons of Pern Series, Ship Who Sung Series, Crystal Singer Series, Acorna, Acorna's People, Decision At Doona
    Stephen Donaldson - First and Second Chronicles Of the Thomas Covenant, Mordant's Need (2 books).
    Any Terry Pretchet but especail the Disc World Series
    Julian May - The Saga Of The Exlies (The Many-Coloured Land, etc).
    Douglas Adams - THHGTTG Series
    Most of The Star Trek Next Gen Series (books). Thats why one of my cats is called Kahless
    John Wyndham - The Day Of The Triffids, The Chrysalids
    Frank Herbert - too many to list but most favourite ones are The Green Brain, The Whipping Star and Destination Void (another one that would fu*k a few in the Reg Rav Thread)
    J R R Tolken - LOR (read 10-15 times well before the movies), The Hobbit
    C S Lewis - The Nanian Series (The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe, Etc)
    Finially Rudyard Kipling - All The Mowgli Stories (The Jungle Book, etc. Not the fu*ken Disney shit). Favourite quote from The Jungle Book "Be clean, for the strength of the hunter is known by the gloss of his hide"
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    I can recommend the following:

A pact with the devil - John Allee
    Avoiding Evangilism - Lillee Allee
    Heaven and Hell - Richard Arbib
    Is there a soul - Christopher Henderson
    The Black Book of Satan - Conrod Robury (has all me bitches numbers in it)
    what ? no 'The Devil Rides Out' ??
    OR 'To the Devil a Daughter' ?? by Dennis Wheatley
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I like reading, but I become totally zoned in on a book. Will pick up a book and just read to the end...my wife interrupts every so often to make sure that I eat, drink.....but I'll often just read till 4 in the morning to finish the story. Most modern fiction lasts under a day, but it took me about 5 days to read the bible (KJAV) from cover to cover(make of that what you will).

As for authors read....I think I have a database of the 400 books I have left that doesn't include all the library books, and borrowed books, or those I've had to let go. Like sci-fi, fantasy, general fiction, but not really into biographies.

Twist of the wrist 2 is pretty good to keep re-reading, but I find it hard to read and ride.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja
    I like reading, but I become totally zoned in on a book. Will pick up a book and just read to the end...my wife interrupts every so often to make sure that I eat, drink.....but I'll often just read till 4 in the morning to finish the story. Most modern fiction lasts under a day, but it took me about 5 days to read the bible (KJAV) from cover to cover(make of that what you will).
    I remember the days when I used to be like that - many a day i would get to sleep in the wee hours of the morning because I was engrossed in a book... Unfortunately what with being a student, motorcycling, tv and computer, I am too lazy to get off my ass and go get some good books to read. I read through heaps of fantasy - LE? Modesitt, Piers Anthony etc, and also Chris Ryan, Andy McNab and that genre... I think when I stopped reading, my vocab growth dropped off greatly and my ability to string together coherent sentences with correct grammar and spelling took a large backward step Maybe it is time that I made time and restarted my reading....

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky
    I remember the days when I used to be like that - many a day i would get to sleep in the wee hours of the morning because I was engrossed in a book... Unfortunately what with being a student, motorcycling, tv and computer, I am too lazy to get off my ass and go get some good books to read. I read through heaps of fantasy - LE? Modesitt, Piers Anthony etc, and also Chris Ryan, Andy McNab and that genre... I think when I stopped reading, my vocab growth dropped off greatly and my ability to string together coherent sentences with correct grammar and spelling took a large backward step Maybe it is time that I made time and restarted my reading....
    You should try work, kids, bike, PS2, TV
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Seems we've got a lot of Fantasy/sci-fi fans round here. I'm another.

Anne McCaffrey, Tad Williams (especially the Otherland series about The Net), Heinlein (love the way he writes about cats - class), Marion Zimmer Bradley (she of The Mists Of Avalon), Terry Brooks, Charles de Lint (Canadian Urban Fantasy author - blends native & celtic myths into urban settings), Feist (especially the Magician series & The Empire series with Janny Wurts), Janny Wurts, Robert Jordan (started off really well, but when is he ever gonna finish it!?!?!?), Stephen Lawhead, Juliet Marillier, Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion & Gird series, Sheri S Tepper (great womens sci-fi/fantasy) and Melanie Rawn (been waiting ages for the next in one of her series).

Then there's Stephen King (new & old), Nicholas Sparks (he of Message in a Bottle), Anne Rice (will she ever stop writing about vampires?!?!?), Stuart Harrison (a NZer living in London), Nicholas Evans & Barbara Erskine.

I'm a prolific reader too. I'm also the Aunty who only buys books for birthday & Xmas gifts. I've just found out that my soon-to-be-10yo niece is currently reading the 3rd Harry Potter book (it had smaller type than the one I'm currently reading!!!) so I'll get her the 3rd in the Lion, Witch & Wardrobe series (which I also loved as a kid), plus see if I can get a nice hardcover copy of the 1st Harry Potter book too.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    I hate all of those sci-fi books etc, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, dunno why. Only read non-fiction.

Read the john britten bio by tim hanna a few months ago and that was pretty good, also the possum borne bio, damn good. Read another book called Cold Zero an autobiography by a guy called Chris Whitcomb. He was a guy in the top fbi anti-terrorism team called the hostage rescue team. Really good, very interesting.

A book i want to read is The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick. He was one of the first guys jailed for computer hacking, he did some funky stuff with some cell phones and managed to rip off heaps of massive corporations. Problem is that no librarys have it in stock and it costs $50 at whitcoulls.

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    I read all kinds of stuff,my Mum taught me to read before I started school and it`s been ongoing.
    Just finished "King Rat" by James Clavell,well-worth a read,love true crime books and read loads by the usual suspects.Phillip Pullman`s Dark Material`s trilogy(well it seems to be stretching from that)is a good lightweight read on different levels,you could read it at 11 and enjoy the story,read it 10 years later and find the anti-church under-current running through it.
    All of Ian Rankin`s "Rebus" books are great,and get better and better,well worth starting from scratch.Michael Connelly`s pretty good too.Read LOTR but found it a bit of a grind,enjoyed Silmarrillion more much to evryone else`s bemusement,they either gave up on it or just didn`t get it.I`ve always got 50 or so books kicking around to read,give them away afterwards,if I kept them I`d have no room,read really quickly.Mate of mine`s daughter is well into reading and I probably buy her as many books as I do for myself,get a real buzz out of expanding her reading horizons,smart kid and we discuss what she`s read,not too long before I can pas mine onto her rather than hunting down teenage-type stuff.
    Good thing about here is that wherever you go you find plenty of charity shops selling books people have donated so I can pick up plenty of good stuff for a fraction of the original price,when you can polish off a typical crime novel in a couple of hours like I do then no way can you afford to pay new prices.Coming back from N.Z. year before last I got through a bike mag,a true crime book and all of the "Jake Heke" books on the flight and still had a couple of hours to go.
    Carl Fogerty`s autobiography is quite funny,god knows how they ever got a helmet to fit the guy`s head!!O.K. so he was damn good but boy does he know it.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moko
    Carl Fogerty`s autobiography is quite funny,god knows how they ever got a helmet to fit the guy`s head!!O.K. so he was damn good but boy does he know it.
    That's one thing that I REALLY didn't like about him. Yeah, he was/is a good rider, but he's such an arsehole. He hated racing bikes (or so he said), but he loved winning races. Even when he was winning, he bleated all the time about the tyres, the bike the mechanics, the other riders.
    Rossi is a completely different kettle of fish, and such a likeable bloke. He LOVES riding bikes, LOVES racing, and enjoys the whole thing. He switched teams just so he could have more of a challenge! The guy is a LEGEND.

Ah books....
    No, I don't believe I've read any lately, certainly not in the last few months. Kind of strange, given that I used to be a prodigious reader, devouring 6 or more books in a weekend.
    I blame that damned Interweb thingo. What a time-waster....
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    I love LOTR, but I can't touch it until I have purged the mental images that that light weight film series placed in my brain.

I'm reading it again to get back the images that the film destroyed. Just up to the part where the Orcs are destoyed on the edge of Fangorn forest.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    None any more
    It's not about the bike

What if (1)

What if (2)

A short history of nearly everything

Motorcycle marsala

The book of Mormon

The Hobbit

Captain Corelli's mandolin
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6 [/i
    The Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein.
    [b]
    I read The Hobbit, but gave up on LOTR -- too much bloody singing, and who cares really how the plural of elf should be spelt...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    I read The Hobbit, but gave up on LOTR -- too much bloody singing, and who cares really how the plural of elf should be spelt...
    elfs
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by moko
    Just finished "King Rat" by James Clavell,well-worth a read,
    Excellent book on its own, even better if taken in context with the other books in the series.

A bit like The power of one (sorry forget the autor at just this moment). Excellent insightful book. As is Tandia, Potatoe factory, Tommo & hawk etc but they make a better story the more of the others you have read. IMHO. The Power of one was a much better read the second time around.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    elfs
    I would have thought that the possesive, and elves the plural?

Thread Information