Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Quote Originally Posted by What?
    Or Dr Suess. Green Eggs and Ham must be a literary classic!
    Dr Suess is cool, but my absolute favourite childrens book/s is Hairy MacLeary From Donaldson's Dairy, and others in the series. I think that's what started my nieces love of books - all the adults around them had so much fun reading these books to them, doing all the voices & sounds & the whole rhythm of them, that they couldn't not end up loving books.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    I didn't grow up reading the books before the ubiquity of Howe and Lee's (particular Howe's) artwork.

I had the honour and pleasure of digitising all of the conceptual artwork that John Howe, Alan Lee and Jeremy Bennet produced for the movies, and got to work with them (especially Alan) along the way.

A wonderful bunch of chaps. Alan and John have gone home now (after seven years here!) but Jeremy (a kiwi) is now working on King Kong.

And yes, I would agree with you on the look and feel - just how I imagined it to. I mentioned that to Alan once - and apparently I was one of many who had said it.

I first read the Hobbit at 6. It was the first book I ever got out of Stokes Valley Library, followed quickly by Fellowship, Two Towers, and ROTK. Precocious reader, I guess.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Guzzi
    I am trying to find the name and the author of a novel I read some time ago. It is about a Pope who sells the art of the Vatican and gets assasinated I think in Sicily.

Has anyone read a book with this theme?

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Home schooling 4 kids we have amased a fair collection - it's huge...uh,no...in the middle of shifting seeing how many books we have is scary,I have no idea where they will go,boxes and boxes andboxes and boxes..........[/QUOTE]

Hey Motu I homeschooled some of my kids too!!, and we have books everywhere also!, I'm reading april fools day by Bryce Courtney at present I like biographys and historical novels but will pretty much read anything including cereal packets and workshop manuals, I never, ever read instruction manuals however, unless I have to!. Bloody stupid really, I would save a whole lot of time if I read the "how to assemble it" thingy first!

Yeah,homeschoolers amass a lot of 'resourses' alright! I feel sorry for kids who have no interest in reading .All my kids have had an unstopable thirst for knowledge,books are ripped out of your hand at mind feeding time,they have a fish bin each to take to the library and often exceed their limit of books.Not sociable,but well read.

In front of me now - Jean M Aurel's 'The Shelters of Stone',the 5th volume of Alya and the Clan of the Cave Bear series.Being a fella I'm not keen on the personal relationship stuff but just love the setting - human pre history,she's put so much reshearch into this stuff.

Future histories are fun too - Sos the Rope,Var the Stick and Neq the Sword are a trilogy by Piers Anthony of the future world he wrote years ago,Rings Of Ice is a flood story he wrote too.Sterling Lanier wrote a book in 1973 called Heiro's Journey of a future world,I loved it and had to wait until 1983 for the sequel.

Given a choice between not being able to ride or not able to read - I think I would rather have the world to read...that's saying something eh?!!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    In front of me now - Jean M Aurel's 'The Shelters of Stone',the 5th volume of Alya and the Clan of the Cave Bear series.Being a fella I'm not keen on the personal relationship stuff but just love the setting - human pre history,she's put so much reshearch into this stuff.
    Lots of research indeed but the Cave Bear series can be best summarised as "Sex and Aryanism". Alya's biggest claim to fame appears to be "inventing" the female orgasm...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Oh dear,you didn't have to read one to find that out did you? Pity sex is required to sell books,as with everything - but the chicks like it.

Tolkein knew where the women belonged!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Guzzi
    Read all of the Clan of Cave Bear series. Apart from the Clan of the Cave Bear the best was the Mamoth Hunters. Shelters of Stone just did not feel right. I think the next book is the last in the series. Heard some rumours of the storyline but will keep Mum.

Still hoping someone can tell me the name of the book where the Pope sells the Vatican treasures. He wants to rid the world of poverty, but his actions cause such a furore that he is asassanted I think in Sicely by the Mafia.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder
    Still hoping someone can tell me the name of the book where the Pope sells the Vatican treasures. He wants to rid the world of poverty, but his actions cause such a furore that he is asassanted I think in Sicely by the Mafia.
    We should have a competition...

1. The Godfather Part V
    2. Fear and loathing in the Vatican
    3. Hanging at Picnic Rock
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    We should have a competition...

1. The Godfather Part V
    2. Fear and loathing in the Vatican
    3. Hanging at Picnic Rock
    4. Ave Venturus: Pope Detective
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Anyway - this is the book thread, innit.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Neal Stephenson yet. I've enjoyed all his stuff - Zodiac and Snow Crash were fun little pieces, The Diamond Age showed a maturation in style and vision, and Cryptonomicon was marvellous.

I've recently finished The Confusion, which is Volume II (after 'Quicksilver') of his Baroque Cycle. Volume III, The System of the World, isn't released yet, but I'll be buying it from amazon.com on the release date.

All thoroughly recommendable, IMHO.

Oh yes. While we're on the topic, and before anyone starts in on Stephenson's formative influences, I rate Thomas Pynchon just below Joyce as a Famous Writer of books that pretentious wanky types own pristine copies of, but nobody reads for any reason other than masochism or lit. degrees.

As in (re. Gravity's Rainbow):

"... members of the 14-member board, which makes recommendations on the 18 Pulitzer Prize categories ... had described the Pynchon novel during their private debate as "unreadable," "turgid," "overwritten," and in parts "obscene." One member editor said he had tried hard but had only gotten a third of the way through the 760-page book."

And *they* were on the Pulitzer Prize committee.
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toads
    Home schooling 4 kids we have amased a fair collection - it's huge...uh,no...in the middle of shifting seeing how many books we have is scary,I have no idea where they will go,boxes and boxes andboxes and boxes..........

Hey Motu I homeschooled some of my kids too!!, and we have books everywhere also!,
    Man, there's some weirdos around here...
    Two of our three boys were homeschooled as well.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    4. Ave Venturus: Pope Detective

....or is that an actual book title...? Surely not?

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer

....or is that an actual book title...? Surely not?
    No, that's gen-yew-eyne two-pint-lunch Friday afternoon J. Random Humour.

Glad to be of service...
    - mikey

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder
    Read all of the Clan of Cave Bear series. Apart from the Clan of the Cave Bear the best was the Mamoth Hunters. Shelters of Stone just did not feel right.
    Agreed. It sort of fizzled a bit; lacked any real central crisis or major event around which the story was built....

Must read another book sometime. Haven't read anything for AAAGES.
    There's enuff of them around here - I should just pick one up and go for it. But there's sooooo much to do, so little time to do it....

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Thread Information