Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1119

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    MidWatch by Edward Ellsberg

10/10 action packed naval/legal thriller

Almost two books in one, first half covering navy traditions of time (1906) and the events leading to boiler explosion, second half the court martial.
    Just when you think you’ve sussed how the court will pan out it takes some epic twists right up to last pages.
    Although fiction the level of detail and Ellsbergs navy working life tells you there has to be some real life elements to this story that perhaps couldn’t be told outside of a novel.

“One young man forced into an impossible situation: obey his commander and potentially cause a disaster, or disobey and ruin his career permanently.

With a new wife and baby on the way, Victor Cushing joins the crew aboard the U.S.S. Manhattan for a highly risky endeavour, eager to prove himself and determined to secure his family's future.

Vic's duty was to keep watch in the fire-rooms for the final hours of a speed test, starting at midnight. Reaching the required knots with their ageing boilers would be an immense task.

When the water levels start to drop, alarm bells start to ring.

The fallout of Vic's decision leads to the courts where he is pitted against his captain, both with everything to lose. In this tense action novel, which leads brilliantly into a nail-biting legal thriller, we witness one man's struggle for innocence against powers far greater than his own.”
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'm a Stranger here myself. An oldie by Bill Bryson, but still funny. His observations moving back to 'merca after 20 yrs in UK.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    OK, here's a thing:

I have some books I won't read again and they are free to a good home. I will even mail them to you at my cost if you arent local to Christchurch.

The titles are:

"Right to the Edge" by Charley Boorman. Sydney to Tokyo by bike mainly. Interesting read and less "made for TV" melodrama than on the telly.

"These are the Days that Must Happen to You" by Dan Walsh. Columns and features from a contributor to BIKE magazine. Very entertaining in a gonzo way. Plus he goes some interesting places - Africa and so forth.

"The Original Wild Ones - Tales of the Boozefighters Motorcycle Club" - the template for all motorcycle "clubs" formed in 1946. I picked this up in idle curiosity and enjoyed reading it way more than I thought I would.

One book per customer please and first in first served - DM me.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'll take them all and make it up in kind. Or one at a time.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Im sure most Kiwi blokes had an interest at some level in the A4 Skyhawk at some stage in their life. This book is an outstanding read in terms of its real world account of what it was like along with toll of being at war. Absolute 10/10 you won’t be disappointed. Quite a long book taken awhile to fully read.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Men-Flyi.../dp/B098GV14MT

"None of us will survive".

The arithmetic was inescapable. The squadron started with twelve A-4E Skyhawks and twenty-two pilots. After seven days, it had eight aircraft and nineteen pilots. He had over one hundred days to go. He would never see home again.

Dead Men Flying is an honest, unflinching account of how Mike, the college kid, became a warrior called “Mule.” It tells of his struggles to become a Naval Aviator. He masters the skills necessary to launch and land a jet fighter bomber on an aircraft carrier. He experiences the transforming state of being when his aircraft merges with his body and becomes an extension of his will; a place where time slows to a crawl; sensory awareness extends to the horizon; and thoughts flash faster than the flick of an eyelid. Within the squadron he develops the bonds of brotherhood that are forged when the pilots must trust each other with their lives. Flying mission after mission into the heart of the North Vietnamese defenses, he pays the cost when death shatters those bonds.

The descriptions of combat are immediate and immersive. They envelop the reader in the perishable art of aerial warfare, a ballet performed out of sight and mind of all but the few who were there. The descriptions are enhanced with more than seventy photographs, many taken during combat.

Dead Men Flying is the story of men tested to the breaking point and beyond by unrelenting threat and losses. It tells how they stood together with unflinching resilience, courage, devotion, and sacrifice.

The author flew 212 combat missions with the Ghost Riders of Attack Squadron 164 over two cruises between June, 1967 and February, 1969.

Bike
    Exercycle

Go Fast or Go Home

The Garth Hogan story. By Tim Hanna.

Mr Hanna is getting better at telling it. This one is very readable, even if you're not a drag racing fan. It certainly explains a lot about Pioneer Equipment - with whom I'm sure a lot of you have dealt. There's a lot of overlap in here - cars, planes, even Ken Mac and the Doc get mentioned.
    Mine came from Paper Plus, if they've got it, others will too.
    Highly recommended.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    "These are the Days that Must Happen to You" by Dan Walsh. Columns and features from a contributor to BIKE magazine. Very entertaining in a gonzo way. Plus he goes some interesting places - Africa and so forth.
    Highly recommended. I read some at the time in BIKE, read them and the others in the E version of the book.

Just lately I've been thinking similar thoughts re books. Not quite as generous as you, I'd like the courier cost covered, although that might be complicated. I bought the biggest bookshelf in the shop but it's sagging under the weight. Might make a list of what has to go. We'll see.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Highly recommended. I read some at the time in BIKE, read them and the others in the E version of the book.

Just lately I've been thinking similar thoughts re books. Not quite as generous as you, I'd like the courier cost covered, although that might be complicated. I bought the biggest bookshelf in the shop but it's sagging under the weight. Might make a list of what has to go. We'll see.
    Don't tell anyone but I STOLE THE COURIER BAGS FROM WORK!!!

I am currently re-reading Paolo Bacigalupi's "The Windup Girl" which won the Hugo and Nebula in 2009. Really enjoying it. Next up a re-read of John Scalzi's "Old Man's War". (its science fiction).

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Also, who's got a Kindle? Are they good? e-books are cheaper and more immediate than waiting for stuff from Book Depository

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it was generous. When I get my act together I'll try list some more of my books to try swap back to HDC having rejected my first volley.

Which was Twisting throttle USA and Auss if anyone is keen.
    I have NZ but it is a different kind of book that can be come back to as it is ride based and, well not nearly as funny.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Also, who's got a Kindle? Are they good?
    I just can't do it. Was lent one to try but I just prefer the feel of a book, the turning of the pages, the ability to easily flick back pages to re-read something. Some prolific readers I know swear by the latest versions but not for me. I prefer bookmarks to batteries.

Also good to know how much more of the book is left. Would be horrendous to swipe for the next page and find that is the last one. With a proper book you can prepare for that cigar moment.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    With a proper book you can prepare for that cigar moment.
    You reading Bill Clinton's biography?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I just can't do it. Was lent one to try but I just prefer the feel of a book, the turning of the pages, the ability to easily flick back pages to re-read something. Some prolific readers I know swear by the latest versions but not for me. I prefer bookmarks to batteries.

Also good to know how much more of the book is left. Would be horrendous to swipe for the next page and find that is the last one. With a proper book you can prepare for that cigar moment.
    For me, it's the joy of 'New Book Smell', the feel of turning a page for the first time.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    You reading Bill Clinton's biography?
    Nah, I read books on the shitter.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Also, who's got a Kindle? Are they good? e-books are cheaper and more immediate than waiting for stuff from Book Depository
    I was very resistant to kindle and the start of the iPhone era but ended up with both as necessary tools. The kindle mostly because I wanted to self publish and understand how it presents in that format and the marketing etc.

Kindles technology really is like reading from paper as far as your eyes are concerned, you need an ambient light source or bedside lamp etc. You books synce flakes flybys across the free app so you can read across phone iPad or pc as well.

Can’t speak about newer ones but I love mine. Generally e book version is half price or better than real book so your end up with some pleasant gambles turning good on books you might not have other wise read.

I do love real books still but get a kindle you won’t be disappointed.

Thread Information