Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    "Chickenhawk" - Robert Mason. Experiences of a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Bought it about 20 years ago and have re-read it many times. Amazing true story.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Not so long ago I read 'Under and Alone' by William Queen. It's about an undercover cop who gets into (and rises through the ranks of) a real nasty biker gang in the US, the Mongols. It cost him dearly in his personal life and I had to wonder what motivated him but it was a good read and very insightful.

I've had a bit to do with M/C's in NZ but there's no way I'd even go close to what this guy did.

Google it.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    I've just read three science fiction books back-to-back -- the first sci fi I've read in about 15 years: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan; and Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi. I preferred the latter two. Altered Carbon, while having a strong plot, took a bit of keeping up with -- more characters than Dickens. Scalzi crafts a compelling read, but his plots are a bit ho hum -- no twists or surprises. The good guys win.

Now I'm touring North America with the Silk Riders.
    I've never understood why people read (or write) science fiction. What is it with that shit? There's no point to it, it's all such bollocks. I know people like to escape and all that but can't you do it on your bike? Sci Fi is a waste of paper/time IMHO, what's the attraction?

Bike
    07 Hayabusa
    Blog Entries
    Just finished Rapture by David Sosnowski, was a great read about 'Angelism' as a genetic mutation, loads of fun...
    Has it ever bothered you that Therapist is The Rapist if you break the word in two? It bothers me, especially when they suggest hypnosis.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    just finnished reading hairy McClarey...good book..highly recommend it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

mechano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    started on poo's book of excuses, an im a quick reader, but he's an even quicker writer, will never finish.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    I've never understood why people read (or write) science fiction. What is it with that shit? There's no point to it, it's all such bollocks. I know people like to escape and all that but can't you do it on your bike? Sci Fi is a waste of paper/time IMHO, what's the attraction?
    Are you for fucking real?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Not so long ago I read 'Under and Alone' by William Queen. It's about an undercover cop who gets into (and rises through the ranks of) a real nasty biker gang in the US, the Mongols. It cost him dearly in his personal life and I had to wonder what motivated him but it was a good read and very insightful.

I've had a bit to do with M/C's in NZ but there's no way I'd even go close to what this guy did.

Google it.
    That book is quite a good read, far better than Sonny Bargers book on life in the Hells Angels
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey View Post
    Are you for fucking real?
    Yup, can't see it at all.
    Some people like football too, I can't stand that either.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Ooohh you clever boy.

My favorite book is "This Immortal" by Roger Zelazny, found in a second handbook shop in Welly a few years back. Sci-fi yes, but what grabbed me is it is set in the future of the earth after all the wars and the planet has hot spots where the bombs went off. Planet is now run like a museum showing other races of aliens how destructive people can be. A good quick read.

Always up for a good western by Louis L'amour though.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    That book is quite a good read, far better than Sonny Bargers book on life in the Hells Angels

Well, it's a completely different take on things, isn't it? I wouldn't like to lead my life the way either of those guys lead (or have led) theirs.

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Yup, can't see it at all.
    Some people like football too, I can't stand that either.
    Soccer or Rugby Not in ta ether but love a good SF. For me, SF often gives me a chance at looking at life from a different angle and question the way we believe in all sort of things.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I'm reading a REALLY good book at the moment, by J.V. Jones. My Aussie niece lent me her "The Barbed Coil" book when we were in Seedkneee a few weeks ago - a terrific read. So, I went looking in the library for more J.V. Jones books and found a couple of series. This book is called "A Cavern of Black Ice", and is amazing. Jones must have a really weird imagination.

The best book I'd previously read was "The Time-Traveller's Wife", by Audrey Niffenegger. Bit of a chick's book ( a romance / fantasy / science-fiction novel), but well written and very enjoyable all the same.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by mechano View Post
    started on poo's book of excuses, an im a quick reader, but he's an even quicker writer, will never finish.
    maybe you should start a book....the history of mikeys alter egos??
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

maybe you should start a book....the history of mikeys alter egos??
    I'd buy it and even fly to Welli for the autograph...

Thread Information