Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 1,111 to 1,119 of 1119

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Those of you who watch Ward Carroll’s naval aviation based YouTube will prob have seen Mike interviewed about is path from pilot to carrier command to admiral.

https://www.amazon.com/Learn-How-Lea...dp/B0BRYWHZPY/

This book is a heavy read with lots of waffle packing it full but interspersed are some very interesting stories/experiences and leadership lessons
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Red Star Rogue 10/10 read cover to cover in several days

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

In March 1968 a Russian Nuke armed sub K129 sunk less than 400 miles from Pearl Harbour.
    The authors premise is that rogue KGB agents sought to launch a nuke attack on Hawaii and blame it on China and get USA to take out China who were threatening Russia.
    The world was saved from WW3 by a good captain he reckons who gave the KGB false codes triggering a failsafe that detonated warhead inside launcher.
    The author provides great researched detail on protocols, political happenings and subsequent events that make his scenario sound highly plausible.
    USA went on to spend half a billion dollars (serious money in 60Â’s) to secretly salvage the sub.
    On a side note the actions taken by CIA and military that were later exposed along with Russian actions illustrates well how small rogue elements within a govt can get things done that anti conspiracy people say are not possible.
    Will take too long to properly explain here how it all knits together but highly recommended reading. Also provides a great insight into the Soviet mentality.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Scapegoat by Emilio Corsetti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H4...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Another true story airline disaster this time the pilot saves the plane... just. Those of you a bit older than me prob would have seen it in news for considerable time as legal battles ensued, TWA flight 841.
    Book goes into great detail so it’s a long read over a few weeks as a narrow minded investigation alleges flight crew did a cowboy procedure to save time but lost control. Along the way the cockpit voice recorder is partially deleted and just like any scary event witness statements conflict.
    The pilot Hoot Gibson was an amazing guy packing a lot of interesting stuff into his life

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Scattershot-Bernie Taupins autobiography-what a life-a really good read.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    My mistake,its his memoir.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It seems that Marjorie Taylor Green and Kyle Rittenhouse claim to have written books. MTG and Acquitted respectively. Why they have "written" books is a mystery as I think most people who would be interested in their stories are not big on reading.

I checked Amazon to read the reviews of MTG as there was a potential for amusement, it seems more time is needed. That might have been a mistake though because now Amazon recommends I might be interested in books by Tucker Carlson, Alex jones, Jeanine Pirro, kari Lake and Kash Patel among others. Thanks but no thanks.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    The Volunteer - A former IRA man’s true story.

https://www.amazon.com/Volunteer-For...ast_author_mpb

10/10 Compelling well written story of how idealism turned a 15y/o towards terrorism. Some interesting turns and twists along the way involving internal ira politics and his own internal moral and religious struggles.
    An eventual 14 year prison lag gives him time to come to terms with his killings and carnage and seek some kind of redemption.
    A good insight to how despite that we want to treat crims like trash there has to be some kind of support inside prison to incorporate people back into society instead of creating future reoffenders.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    my only new years resolution this year is: read more, less screen time.

I have started the year with this:

"Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead" by Jim Mattis and Bing West.

So Mattis is the real deal. USMC and rose to become a four star General. You heard his name because he was at the pointy end of US policy in the Middle East for thirty plus years - including the War on Terror and Iraq/Kuwait/Afghanistan. Absolutely fascinating for students of military history. He also served as Drumpf's Secretary of Defence for two years. He is quite guarded about that (though you will recall he was one of the signatories of the open letter to Drumpf from the then surviving ex SecDefs saying "Dont be a fuckwit, dumbarse". Anyway, recommended. Not gung ho - I dont care for gung ho. The man is a thinker and a philosopher. He also has a book list recommendation in his book - i.e. these are books people should read. My next book is the first one on his list: Marcus Aurelius "Meditations" - yes THAT Marcus Aurelius.

Also fun fact: He was never, ever called "Mad Dog" Mattis by anyone until Drumpf or one of his lackeys started it. I will let you look up how and why he got the callsign "CHAOS".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chaos.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	354225  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It seems that Marjorie Taylor Green and Kyle Rittenhouse claim to have written books. MTG and Acquitted respectively. Why they have "written" books is a mystery as I think most people who would be interested in their stories are not big on reading.

I checked Amazon to read the reviews of MTG as there was a potential for amusement, it seems more time is needed. That might have been a mistake though because now Amazon recommends I might be interested in books by Tucker Carlson, Alex jones, Jeanine Pirro, kari Lake and Kash Patel among others. Thanks but no thanks.
    Yep - I've been watching/listening to interviews with ex SAS, Navy SEALS, Delta, fighter pilots etc etc and there is kind of a type: calm, matter of fact, get shit done. I am not like that. But now Youchoob thinks I want to watch crap like Joe Rogan and all sorts of right wing MAGA shit. Nooooope.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information