Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1119

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    you need an ambient light source or bedside lamp etc. .
    ?? What model do you have? My Kindle paperwhite is internally lit, I can read in bed without the bedside light disturbing the wife.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    ?? What model do you have? My Kindle paperwhite is internally lit, I can read in bed without the bedside light disturbing the wife.
    Over ten years old.... so can’t remember specs.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Mine is a few years old too - Great for reading

I remember they where selling two models when I bought mine "one with" and "one without" backlight.
    I got the backlight one so I could read in the spa and in bed.

Also a Member of a internet site called Bookbub got about 50 FREE unread books stacked up from their free offers.

Need more time LOL
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    House to House by medal of honour recipient staff sgt Bellavia.

https://www.amazon.com/House-Epic-Me.../dp/1416596607

An excellent account of the brutal fight for Fallujah. It’s easy to think the yanks had an easy time blowing away insurgents with firepower and technology. But this book reminds us well of the brutality of urban warfare.
    This book reads well and nothing is spared in account of utter brutality and horror these guys went through, don’t want to plot spoil so just read it to end you won’t be disappointed.

10/10

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    House to House by medal of honour recipient staff sgt Bellavia.

https://www.amazon.com/House-Epic-Me.../dp/1416596607

An excellent account of the brutal fight for Fallujah. It’s easy to think the yanks had an easy time blowing away insurgents with firepower and technology. But this book reminds us well of the brutality of urban warfare.
    This book reads well and nothing is spared in account of utter brutality and horror these guys went through, don’t want to plot spoil so just read it to end you won’t be disappointed.

10/10
    Half way through it. It's a hell of a story (of hell)
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    On a Lighter note

I got Brian Johnsons book "The Lives of Brian"
    for Xmas a damn good read about himself and AC/DC
    Might even read it twice
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    On a Lighter note

Might even read it twice
    You, Sir, are a genius. Been pondering what to get me Dad for his birthday. This is perfick.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    You, Sir, are a genius. Been pondering what to get me Dad for his birthday. This is perfick.
    Glad to help
    Its like your sitting there with him and a beer and he's just telling you stories about his road through life, I had so many laughs on the way through - bloody well written

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Glad to help
    Its like your sitting there with him and a beer and he's just telling you stories about his road through life, I had so many laughs on the way through - bloody well written
    Ordered and done. No doubt i will get a synopsis in a few weeks. Cheers.

Many, many years ago me Dad took us to see The Troggs at a local leisure centre. I'm sitting thinking that the bloke in the cap sat next to Dad looked familiar. When he got up to go for a pee I recognised his voice and the penny dropped, it was indeed Brian Johnson. After telling dad he spent the rest of the concert looking like he was being electrocuted. He even shared his midget gems with him.

I can't remember what year this was but suspect it was not long after Back in Black was released.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed his TV interviews with various legends.

Just put my order in (hinted to the wiff). Cheers.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A couple of recent reads. One of the podcasts I listen to consists of interviews with former military people. Two of the recent interviewees had come to notice because of recently published books.

Terror To Triumph by Chris Whittmore

Initially a US Marine scout sniper serving in Iraq and later in Afghanistan a helicopter crewman. Whittmore recounts his experiences.

His book introduced me to the concept of moral trauma. This is where a person feels guilt at a tragic event even though they are not the guilty party. A journalist asked him what his most troubling experience was. When he had finished his explanation the journalist was in tears.

He has difficulty adapting to leaving the military and is affected by previously undiscovered injury and its effects.

He recovered and has since earned a Masters in Forensic Psychology, but he really could have used an editor. Spelling mistakes are not infrequent and there are a couple of places that induce a strong sense of deja vu because a paragraph is repeated.

His story is interesting though and the book is worth a read.

Chinook Crew Chick by Liz McConaghy

At once a lighter read but also at the end rather darker as it involves a suicide attempt.

An Irish girl, Liz was captivated by an ad for RAF crew chiefs. She applied for the job basically straight from school. Interestingly the ‘Basic Recruits Course’ participants are all sergeants. Some, like her, have no military experience and are taught basic drill after hours by course members who do have the experience. To the surprise of herself, and some others, she passed the course and at the ripe old age of 19 was living in the sergeants mess.

There is a lot of humour in the book and Ms McConaghy had a busy time of it during her seventeen years. Two tours of Iraq, her first as the youngest RAF aircrew member to serve in Iraq. Ten tours of Afghanistan and a couple of stretches in the Falklands.

Her observation of the changes over her tours in Afghanistan is interesting. At first it was all business with very few spare bodies. Everybody had a job. By the time of her final tour there were many rules and regulations and there were underemployed senior officers seemingly there simply to qualify them for the relevant medal ribbon.

On her final tour after flying part of the day including evacuating wounded, the crew needed an intelligence update. She went to obtain the updated info. Standing waiting, dirty, sweaty, in blood stained kit, she was approached by a senior officer who advised her that her hair should not be touching her collar and should be in a bun. I’m unacquainted with the complexities of wearing of a bun under a flying helmet but her reaction was anger and the realisation that it was time to go.

Too many hours bumping around in a chinook while wearing a helmet resulted in her neck giving out and her being unable to fly. She was offered a desk job but didn’t want that and took a medical discharge. The adjustment to civilian life, the breakup of her marriage, and extended COVID lock downs culminated in a suicide attempt.

She now works for a charity that trains wounded war veterans to attain their private pilots licence.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    On her final tour after flying part of the day including evacuating wounded, the crew needed an intelligence update. She went to obtain the updated info. Standing waiting, dirty, sweaty, in blood stained kit, she was approached by a senior officer who advised her that her hair should not be touching her collar and should be in a bun. I’m unacquainted with the complexities of wearing of a bun under a flying helmet but her reaction was anger and the realisation that it was time to go..
    Similar occurrence in "House to House" by medal of honour recipient staff sgt Bellavia. After a hellish week or so attacking and being attacked by insurgents in Fallujah, with many casualties, hand to hand combat and worse, surviving on next to nothing rations and filthy water, they get told to clean up by REMFs so a visiting general can come and meet with them. Not long after that Bellavia quit the army as well
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Similar occurrence in "House to House" by medal of honour recipient staff sgt Bellavia. After a hellish week or so attacking and being attacked by insurgents in Fallujah, with many casualties, hand to hand combat and worse, surviving on next to nothing rations and filthy water, they get told to clean up by REMFs so a visiting general can come and meet with them. Not long after that Bellavia quit the army as well
    No combat ready unit ever passed inspection.
    No inspection ready unit ever passed combat.

Or so the saying goes...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    On a Lighter note

Might even read it twice

Just realised it was you that also put me onto the Crafer interview podcast and this book. A virtual Internet beer for you good sir.

My wife to my complete surprise (but not really given the hint) supplied my with this as a gift yesterday. I'm only in a few chapters to his first gig as a teenager, but it is a jolly rollicking read so far.

Makes you appreciate how fucked the UK was after the war and said by comparison to Europe it was like they had lost rather than 'won'.

On reflection the US did them no favour thereafter. Then again, the relationship was somewhat toxic from inception from the UKs actions.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    “Warriors Rage - The Great Tank Battle of 73 Easting” by Col Douglas MacGregor

https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Rage.../dp/1591145333

This chap has been providing some interesting commentary on the Ukraine/Russia situation... anyhow rewind to 1991 Gulf War one and he was in Command of Abrams tank squadron. Some great insight into how the higher command stuffed up letting lot of republican guard escspe accidentally/on purpose????

Very good read

Thread Information