Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A history of bike shops in Auckland

A history of bike shops in Auckland

I thought I might do a thread on Auckland bikes shops,to show younger riders what was here before,and a trip down memory lane for others.I'll start in my year of 1970,it was a turning point - the established bike shops had been there from the '50's and '60's,but a new order was coming.I want interaction,but can we keep it relavent and in cronological order please - don't come butting in about Spectrum while we are talking about Len Perry,too much of that and I'll let it whither and die.This is only my observations as a customer,I'll get things very wrong - please correct me as I want to know too.

Weston-Webb Motorcycles.

I'll start with Weston-Webb first and work my way north into the city.Weston-Webb were my closest bike shop,and the one I became more familiar with.They were in Station Rd Otahuhu,next to the Orphius picture theater....every suburb had their movie theater,I went to every one,but never the Orphius....it would't even register on the Flea Pit status,it was the worst of the worst.Mr Weston-Webb like all these early bike shop owners was an ex racer,I don't know his first name....John I think.You didn't see him much,but he did my WoF's when I went there in my lunch break,a polite and reserved Englishman.They did all the British bikes,and supplied the Traffic Cop's Triumphs and BSA's,and did all their maintenance too.I don't even know if they had a Japanese agency....maybe Suzuki - the Jap bikes weren't their focus....kinda like a Chinese takeaway doing fish and chips.

It was a small shop,they all were then - and behind the counter was the grumpy sod Ray,in his dust coat.The old school didn't like us young guys,we were noisy with long hair and poor dress sense....worst of all was what we were doing to their treasured bikes,chopping them up,stripping them down,we didn't respect nothing...not them or their bikes.So Ray didn't talk to us,just stood at his counter and watched....then you went up to the counter and asked for what you wanted.''No,we don't have one''....'What about that one there?'.....''It won't fit your bike.....or....that's sold,you can't have it'' - and it'd still be there next week.

Bestest thing was their Hepolite piston ring machine.So you asked Ray for some plus 20 rings for a B31,and he went to the end of the counter where the machine was.The wall was wooden pidgeon holed and the holes full of piston rings.He'd pull a piston ring out of a hole and put it into the machine.It had a steel band,and by turning a knob it compressed the ring,closing the gap,a window read out bore size in mm,and oversize in thou.Brilliant,and I've never seen another like it.

Out the back was the workshop,about the size of a single car garage,wooden floor and dark,like maybe a single bulb on a wire stuff,room enough for me to work on a single bike - but there would be 4 mechanics working on half a dozen or more bikes.There was a shambles out in the yard,wrecked bikes lying rusting on the ground.They took over a shop next door at one stage and wrecked bikes there,you weren't allowed in there,but I got to go in a few times to help on a search.

Over the years when it was shown we were dedicated bikers,we loved the machines and worked hard to keep them on the road - they thawed.Ray would now talk to us,and if he heard us out in the shop Brian,the mechanic might walk out to say hello,or help us with a part we were looking for.Or we might just barge straight out the back with a wave to Ray if he was busy.We were getting to be part of the furniture.

By the '80's they were really out on a limb,having not moved with the times - still the same old shop,the same people and a reluctance to work on the Jap stuff.In 1984 and 85 I was working not far away and would often drop in on my way past.Ray was much more talkative now,and I learned what was happening.Ray had married Weston-Webb's daughter at some stage,and with the mechanics Brian and Dave they now owned the shop,the Classic movement had kicked in and they were content to restore and work on the old bikes....a nice retirement fade away for them I suppose.I left Auckland in 1985 and so never went back.

Weston-Webb was an old school shop,and stayed that way to the end.It was the first bike shop I ever went to,I learnt how to get the parts I needed,grew to be familiar with the guys,and them with me.My favorite bike shop of all time - thanks guys.

Bike
    A Blade or two
    That was a good read mate, Thanks for sharing it with us.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
    BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Bike
    SUZUKI TR50 STREET MAGIC
    lloyd may (i think) which was kingsland honda , that was the shop that got me addicted, i used to go in there and drool over bikes when i was a youngster ,the guy was really nice and used to let me sit on the bikes, and just up the road was custom chambers who had a shitty little shop, used to go past there and look at the choppers , of course this was before kingsland became all trendy and shit, my favourite shop of all had to be mike vinsen , he shut down the motorcyce bit and just went into selling used import cars

Bike
    Triumph Sprint 900. KSS Velocette

Weston Webb

Motu I new the shop quite well, I believe the guy you refer to as Ray was Jim Allen. I had a lot of mates in Otahuhu who got all their Triumph bits there. The Weston Webbs were neighbours of my parents along with Jim Allen in Mount Wellington.

Growing up in Wellington with an ex Bike racer for a father the shops I remember as a kid were Tolley and Spence in Petone, Lawton and Boyle in Wellington and one in Lower Hutt I cannot remember the name of. They all had that old oil smell which I think all Bike Shops had.

Bike
    GSXR 450
    I love custom chambers. I dont know how someone so grumpy can still sell stuff. Still good quaility for cheep.

Quote Originally Posted by calmone
    Motu I new the shop quite well, I believe the guy you refer to as Ray was Jim Allen. .
    Names changed to protect etc....I wasn't too worried about names,but yeah it was Jim,thanks for that,added input like your's is what I'm after.I was from Mt Wellington too,so maybe Jim had a reason to be a bit grumpy with me.

Bike
    Diamondback.
    My early bike shop days were from the late 80's till about 95ish.

Brians Yamaha - Beach Rd.
    I would go and excrete bodily fluids over the RZ's, and XJ's, and look over the section of Naturalwear leather goodies. I got my first leather jacket from there, my mate Glen and I bought two at the same time, and got 90 bux knocked off the price, back then that was like GOLD.

Mike Vinsen Suzuki. Beach Rd.
    I think he has a car yard on Gt Nth Rd now, or at least it was there when I left Auckland. Vinsens had some gnarly hardware, I remember seeing my first Macintosh Suzy there, and one of the guys I rode with bought a Katana from him. I remember the shop being pretty well laid out, and they had a good selection.

Bob Haldane Yamaha - Manukau Rd.
    The shop of champions, I bought my first bike from Brian at Haldanes, the mighty RD250LC J spec (3 stripes). They were great for tyres, and their workshop was fast and efficient. Brian taught me how to scuff a new tyre in, and hence began my burnout days.

World of Wheels - Eden Terrace.
    Kawasaki dealer for the most part, saw my first VF1000R there, a guy had pulled up on it, and wanted to trade it in on a GPz of some description, but he got slutted that the salesman wasn't giving him enough for the VF, and tore off in a huff, and lowsided it on that little side road at the lights just up from where WoW used to be. I had to feel sorry for the man.

Forbes and Davies - Nelson St
    Honda dealer, I never really enjoyed going there much, I think they were responsible for my passive Honda dislike, as they always seemed to have wierd bikes, and massive prices.

Colemans Suzuki - K Rd
    I think this place has been a beacon among the dimmer lights around the Auckland bike scene. I bought my first gixxer off them, and they treated me like royalty, and would often throw some free shit at me, recognising my repeat business.

Greenlane Suzuki - Gt Sth Rd.
    Peter Wilmot, and his band of crazy salesmen. I bought like 4 bikes off this guy, RG, GSX750, GSX400, GF. Pretty good bunch of boys. Peter started Club 42 riding club, which was a bunch of nana's like me, but was fun.

Graeme Crosby Yamaha - Gt Nth Rd.
    Bought only one bike off Croz. I would have bought two, but the GPz900 I asked him to have ready one friday for me to come and buy, was not ready, and in actual fact, had been loaned out as a rental, and got binned 2 streets away from Croz's shop, so I bid him farewell, and never returned... ever. Colemans got the sale on that one, a big wad of cash it was too.
    Homer you shot the zombie Flanders !
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kro
    World of Wheels - Eden Terrace.
    Kawasaki dealer for the most part, saw my first VF1000R there, a guy had pulled up on it, and wanted to trade it in on a GPz of some description, but he got slutted that the salesman wasn't giving him enough for the VF, and tore off in a huff, and lowsided it on that little side road at the lights just up from where WoW used to be. I had to feel sorry for the man.
    Wasn't this Laurie Summers? I bought three Quackas off them, great to deal with.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    hornet 250 ,97
    colemans and mount eden are my haunts i regularly go and dribble on the zx6r and a gsxr 750 ive been made to stand 2 metres away at all times from the bikes sigh!!

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Wasn't this Laurie Summers? I bought three Quackas off them, great to deal with.
    Summer's location was what is now the Haldanes shop.Spare parts was down stairs..fwiw....... I bought my Kawsaki 250 Triple off them...Anyone remember Whites in New Market,Manurewa Motorcycles ( i still remember seeing a brand new CR125 and RE5 (round instrument cluster) there .

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8
    Summer's location was what is now the Haldanes shop.Spare parts was down stairs..fwiw....... I bought my Kawsaki 250 Triple off them...Anyone remember Whites in New Market,Manurewa Motorcycles ( i still remember seeing a brand new CR125 and RE5 (round instrument cluster) there .
    Bought my first bike of Whites - a Yamaha YL1 100 twin.They were also a Triumph dealer I think. Bought an S2 350 Kwaka of Laurie Summers and almost bought an A7SS 350 - that was faster than the triple!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries

Colemans Suzuki - K Rd
    I think this place has been a beacon among the dimmer lights around the Auckland bike scene. I bought my first gixxer off them, and they treated me like royalty, and would often throw some free shit at me, recognising my repeat business.
    its still a beacon................

Greenlane Suzuki - Gt Sth Rd.
    Peter Wilmot, and his band of crazy salesmen. I bought like 4 bikes off this guy, RG, GSX750, GSX400, GF. Pretty good bunch of boys. Peter started Club 42 riding club, which was a bunch of nana's like me, but was fun.
    Peter was recently the sales manager at Red Baron.. he was on his way home one night and was run over by a people mover.. he is recovering from his injuries fairly well, but it is doubtful he will ever ride again, much less race his sidecar..

Graeme Crosby Yamaha - Gt Nth Rd.
    Bought only one bike off Croz. I would have bought two, but the GPz900 I asked him to have ready one friday for me to come and buy, was not ready, and in actual fact, had been loaned out as a rental, and got binned 2 streets away from Croz's shop, so I bid him farewell, and never returned... ever. Colemans got the sale on that one, a big wad of cash it was too.

yup.. great service there ..
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman
    Bought my first bike of Whites - a Yamaha YL1 100 twin.They were also a Triumph dealer I think. Bought an S2 350 Kwaka of Laurie Summers and almost bought an A7SS 350 - that was faster than the triple!
    I remember buying a new set of Triumph header pipes off Whites ($55) and seeing a brand new XS500 (the 8 valve one?) and a Wedding special ?Triumph while there.
    As for Weston-Webb Motorcycles how could i forget them and that dude in the gray coat after leaving a Daytona frontend as a holdover to the next payday and he sold it.!!!!!..That was sometime in the late 1970's.
    As for Kawasaki Triples i bought my first H2 off Moller's Yamaha in 1980 which later became the Crosbies shop.

Not forgetting Papatoetoe Honda and Panmure Motorcyles.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    W Whites were Triumph , Velocette and Yamaha (and a few others). many was the happy hour I spend leaning on the parts counter upstairs.

Len Perry - Suzuki, BSA
    Bill Russells, about where Colemans is now, Honda
    Forbes and Davies
    Lauries Summers also did Jawa CZeta, Nzeta.

But in those days every suburb had a thriving motorcycle shop, you usually didnt need to go any further than round the corner.

Can't remember who the Ariel or AJS agents were. Or even Norton, for that matter. I only ever used tehir parts departments, so if I didn't buy parts for a make I didn't take much notice of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Bill Russells, about where Colemans is now
    I only remember Bill Russell's when they were the other side of the road from Summer's.

Thread Information