Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What worked and what didn't...

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    But, apart from the ones that vets wear, there is no such thing as a waterproof glove.
    Well I haven't done New Plymouth to Welly, but I've done 2 hours in West Coast rain and a wet hour through the Wangamoas, and still had dry hands.
    And you've got a barn door of a fairing too.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Well I haven't done New Plymouth to Welly, but I've done 2 hours in West Coast rain and a wet hour through the Wangamoas, and still had dry hands.
    And you've got a barn door of a fairing too.
    Ahh, your secret is safe with me...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    VTR1000
    Dri rider boots - for dri riding only. Never been drier with the technics pants on a very wet trip to hoki but the nazram jacket ain't so good. Best was when I was a learner up in central nth island and rode around in para rubber pants wth duct tape and an old leather jacket that was stiff and everything just rolled off, same with the johnny rebs. I agree with previous writer about leather proabably being the most water proof - if its treated right. I had good Darbi touring gloves that were up to it but when I went to replace them after five year the ones they offer now aren't as robust looking. Long short of it is that I reckon you need good boots and always carry a second pair of gloves. Then any reasonable sort of of outer wear will then be enough.
    Two wrongs may not make a right but three rights make a left

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i've got a 2 piece spidi wet weather gear- cut the cloth liner out as it was a pain in the arse - got caught up when donning it. it doesn't leak a drop, except for down the back of my neck, but i'm a man, so i handle it.......

Bike
    None any more
    Leather can be waterproofed. But the seams can't. Be carefully with your choice of leatherproofing products too. Some will rot the stitching.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    I have been thinking of buying a cheap pair of dish washing gloves to wear over my leather gloves.... cheap and water proof 100%
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

You'd need bloody small hands

Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    I have been thinking of buying a cheap pair of dish washing gloves to wear over my leather gloves.... cheap and water proof 100%
    You'd need to have bloody small hands - I can hardly get those things over bare hands let alone with gloves on. I guess they make them for female hands??? - like the old line about why to chicks have small feet - ........

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruralman
    You'd need to have bloody small hands - I can hardly get those things over bare hands let alone with gloves on. I guess they make them for female hands??? - like the old line about why to chicks have small feet - ........
    I just thought they come in like extra large sizes? guess will find out soon... just need to look for some that are not furo yellow or green
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    These are my tried and tested methods m as a dr in london for a few odd years ,

Rukka , Still got mine Still water proof after how many years ,,
    Para rubber PVC over trousers
    Rubber / over boots OR that Nylon With chain spray on the front yes I know but it works

Fo that really Posh look I have a cordura Jacket , But I use ,,,Yes an Over suit and the PVC trousers

Gloves

IF you are stopping say at a red light , then you can get PVC ober mitts that you put under you cuffs , so that the rain goes OVER the seam
    If you aint stopping , then the Large wind defectors the MX people use , not the newer ones but the olser ones , v cheap from UFO ...( dont look posh , but the rain goes OVEr your hands , so much so you can wear Summer gloves in winter , and not get cold /wet

Finally ..( Stand by for Flack ..My call this )

I wear an Open face with a strip visor .. just an inch or so along where the visor clips on , tip you head and the rain misses your eyes, and you can never mist up

Oh and you never can speed , tried rain on face at 120 km ??

If you must use a full face .. then washing up liquid rubbed on and polished off , stops fog ,,or rain x ,,but thats expensive

and Last thing , A spare pair of gloves and a handkerchief in a sealed plastic bag

Stephen

Who now lives in the tropics ...we dont have sealed drains... as a cloud burst like we have just had would blow manhole covers clear across the street ( 3 inches in a handfull of min )

Now I just get wet its easier !!!!
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    All makes of gloves can be made waterproof quite easily and cheaply. Buy beg or steal two large rubber bands. Save a few of those lightweight plastic bags that your bread comes in, and stash them under the seat of your bike. Next time it rains just slip your hands into the bread bags, and I'll leave it your imagination just what the rubber bands are for.
    Time to ride

Bike
    1987, Honda CBR 250R
    Year long periods in wet weather riding does suck a bit.
    I found a lont time ago that my jacket does not live up to what the maker claims.
    So in bad weather i wear a normal rain ocat over the top has kept me dry for yonks.
    Best pull over pants that i have found are from Redbaron in Akld about $60, used those yellow things for ages but they bite .
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family... Trainspotting

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    I remember this thread and posting in it...... Since then i have crash tested (low speed) the Spidi suit in the wet,up until that point it had let no water in but was a little worse for wear after doing a bit of a break dance on the road.
    As much as i like its armour which saved any injury (worn through at the L/H hip /shin and forearm) and overall water resistance i now have some reservations that it would stay together in a dry road slide.Considering the jackets $995 price tag the construction is a little shoddy with one popped zip and 2 inner attachment points stitching failing.Perhaps they are simply to complicated in construction.
    I still need to get it fixed but it has been a case of just one more ride.I am still happy with it but compared to leather,the abrasion resistance is not in the hunt but in the ability to stay warm and dry department it is tops.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34253

You can get cheap vinyl overboots for water protection from folk like MotoMail
    Once apon a time i always had a jumbo plastic rubbish bag stowed for those big wet rides.Rip a hole for head and arms and on it went. they even came in stealthy black

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruralman View Post
    we got a flyer in the mail a couple of days ago. Oringi have a sale on some wet weather gear including some larger sizes of one piece rainsuits - like overalls only made from their flexible waterproof stuff. It is bloody good gear - we use it on the farm. Go to www.oringi.co.nz - sorry you'll have to type that in yourself.
    Wotchoo talkingabout Willis?
    Last rain we had here was Saturday night - and then it was only a shower or two, before that it was last Tuesday.
    Sounds like our Northern bretheren have a little more precipitation eh????
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    Once apon a time i always had a jumbo plastic rubbish bag stowed for those big wet rides.Rip a hole for head and arms and on it went. they even came in stealthy black
    Yeah but once the bag starts to disintegrate at about 100kph your mates riding behind you get the impression they are being attacked by rabid crows leaping from your shoulders..
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Leather can be waterproofed. But the seams can't. Be carefully with your choice of leatherproofing products too. Some will rot the stitching.
    But well dubbined ex-freezing works steel-cap boots with ex-army gaiters (also well dubbined) combined with a pair of elastic waist-and-cuffs overtrousers has been THE best anti-soggy-feet device I've had yet!!

Thread Information