View Poll Results: What age before being let loose on our roads

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll

50 31.65%

97 61.39%

11 6.96%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 too young for drivers licence?

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Big McJim
    Yeah - I don't know what nationality Kate McMahon is - just assumed she was a Pom coz of being 'The former head of Britain's Road Safety Strategy Department'.....Oh I see - you thought it was me that was whinging.

Fair enuff - I just thought you might like to see what a foreign expert thinks of the legislation here. Mind you looking at the poll most kiwis seem to agree with her....
    Nah I was not meaning you. Dunno, I wonder if the majority these days live a very sheltered politcally correct world. By the time that I was 15 I had been riding motorcycles for 7 years and had been also riding down a few backroads. The only problem I had was getting used to all of the traffic in the built up areas. I wonder why some people feel the need to wrap cotton wool around others though...
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by Korea
    So... I propose that car licences should be reserved for 18+ BUT motorcycle licences may still be obtained at 15!

This makes perfect sense: We all know that motorcyclists have a morbid fear of death, so we are constantly aware of what is going on all around us (well some of us, anyway). We look out for other road users because we HAVE TO in order to stay alive.
    If kids can choose between a 250cc bike at 15 or a car at 18, we're going to see more young riders learning basic road skills on bikes, and consequently more knowledgable, safer road users later in life when they graduate to a car licence.

C'mon, you KNOW it makes sense...
    yes, yes, yes!

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    None any more
    I got my car licence about two weeks after my 15th birthday. Dad's XW Falcon was the easiest thing I had ever driven, after having grown up driving the assortment of trucks and tractors that us and our neighbours had around the place.

I got my heavy traffic licence about a month after turning 18 and my artic licence about six months later.

About 28 years after that, I got my full class 6 licence. The rest, as they say, is history.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by inlinefour
    Nah I was not meaning you. Dunno, I wonder if the majority these days live a very sheltered politcally correct world. By the time that I was 15 I had been riding motorcycles for 7 years and had been also riding down a few backroads. The only problem I had was getting used to all of the traffic in the built up areas. I wonder why some people feel the need to wrap cotton wool around others though...
    I hear what you're saying - I used to fart around on freshly dug potato fields on the West Coast of Scotland when I was a nipper using some 50cc piece of shit that me and my dad found in an old shed. I think the fact is that today there are more and busier roads. People have to be aware of other road users rather than just knowing how to point their own vehicle in the direction they want to go. I've got 2 boys and I'll be getting them into karting and peewee dirt bikes as soon as I can but I will be very strict about them going on the open road. Will pay heed to some of the hints given in this thread.

My opinion? 18 years before you get to play on public tarmac.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Some 15 y/os can handle the responsibility of a licence, some not till 18 and, going on what I see every day, some should never be allowed to drive. You can't legislate for common sense though. hXc got his licence 3 days after his 15th birthday, he had some bucket racing experience (about 8 mths), a couple of sessions on the Taupo track and has ridden a push bike since he was 4. He is fairly sensible on the road, given that he is 15 and male, is certainly aware of the frailty of human life and the RESPONSIBILTY that goes with a licence, as in, it is NOT a right to have one. He is also aware that I have no problem in taking his keys off him, and selling his bike , if I deem it necessary. I would not have been happy for my three other children to be riding at 15 tho, they didn't display the level of responsibility or maturity that he does.
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart
    Some 15 y/os can handle the responsibility of a licence, some not till 18 and, going on what I see every day, some should never be allowed to drive. You can't legislate for common sense though. hXc got his licence 3 days after his 15th birthday, he had some bucket racing experience (about 8 mths), a couple of sessions on the Taupo track and has ridden a push bike since he was 4. He is fairly sensible on the road, given that he is 15 and male, is certainly aware of the frailty of human life and the RESPONSIBILTY that goes with a licence, as in, it is NOT a right to have one. He is also aware that I have no problem in taking his keys off him, and selling his bike , if I deem it necessary. I would not have been happy for my three other children to be riding at 15 tho, they didn't display the level of responsibility or maturity that he does.
    This is true of so many young people. The poll on this thread is too restrictive (as is the current age) and there is no provision for individual circumstances/maturity etc. It's like the drinking age - some can be sensible at 18 and some can't.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2003 Ducati ST2
    Young drivers seem to be completely unaware of other road users, including motorcycles.
    So... I propose that car licences should be reserved for 18+ BUT motorcycle licences may still be obtained at 15!

:
    Exactly what I have always said.
    I guess that means there is someone else out there that thinks like me...poor bast.....

Bike
    '06 Honda Fartblood
    Quote Originally Posted by mdooher
    Exactly what I have always said.
    I guess that means there is someone else out there that thinks like me...poor bast.....
    Yes~! Everything except for the latex-rubber fetish thing Rowr~
    Keep it rubber-side down...

Bike
    Kwakasaurus Z750s '05
    From http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3757572a11,00.html

His family lives about a 30-minute drive from Rangiora, where he goes to school, and he has been driving on the farm since he was 11.

"I need [my licence] it so I don't have to sit around the house all day – so I can go for a drive and see my mates," he said.

Need a licence my arse. Ride a bicycle you lazy shit.

Bike
    2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200CC
    Definitely 18. Altho I got my bike licence and car as soon as I turned 15, I wasn't allowed use of the car much at all. The motorbike I was - only because I was mainly off road riding - crikey it was an XR Honda 125 and it still goes today!!!some 25 mumble years later. The condition of getting my bike licence was I had to go on a defensive riding course - which was excellent - learning to lay the bike down, trail riding, all sorts. I was also from a hick town - today there are more cars on the road (much faster ones as well), more idiots - wasn't until I was 19 that I drove on a real highway/motorway!!
    And I have to have a moan about how they teach the drivers. I have a lad that I'm "caregiving" not allowed to say babysitting (he's 16) - his father has taught him the correct way to drive using engine braking, using the gears properly etc - I've also reinforced this way of driving when I take him out for lessons. He's been told off by the instructors/test people that that is wrong! FFS. Rant over!!
    Actions speak louder than words or good intentions

He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up. - Paul Keating

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    I too think there is some merit in this!
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart

I posted a similar thing on another thread and got slated for being an overbaring parent. I said the oldest was mature enough to understand the dangers at 15 (though he is actually 17 now) but the younger son at 14 still had a lot of growing up to do. You are right. It's a very individual thing which ligislation cannot cover. It therefore becomes the responsibility of the parents who know their own kids to also apply common sense.
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    My wings a pencil
    I am a hoon. Always will be.

Bike
    VTR1000, RM 250 and a few toys
    I learnt to drive when I was about 10 by myself but was behind the steering wheel with the old man using the pedels long before that. Was on the farm however.
    You know you had a good nite when you have to ask someone if you had a good nite.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    I think the age is allright.

Expecially for school leavers ect which can start work full time at 15.

I do believe that the Car drivers should have to sit a practical driving course before they can even get their learners and the adult that will 'teach' them muct attend the course as well, so that they know what to teach thier kids.

The Restricted licence test should be longer and much harder. But still cost the same. Its a rip off at the moment.

Age i don't believe is the issue, but the way 'kids' are being taught.

The reason i don't think age is a big issue is because you still get alot of 20 + year olds that act like a 15 Y.o or even worse.

the drinking age however should be put up big time. Even + 25 year olds!!!!!

Thread Information