View Poll Results: What age before being let loose on our roads

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll

50 31.65%

97 61.39%

11 6.96%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 15 too young for drivers licence?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Well, one year later they're reckoned mature enough to have and raise babies.
    But us oldies know the ain't.

So why do we let them? - oh that's right, they have them anyway!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    The results of the poll are very telling - It would be good if there was a national referendum on the subject!

As with all good threads it's polarizing the opinions nicely with some good points being made by both sides.

The comment I'd like to mention is "not ALL 15 year olds are bad drivers" (but then again not ALL Speeders are dangerous and I'm sure you'll find someone to say not ALL drunk drivers are dangerous) but we must have one law to apply to all so if the majority of a particular subsection are dangerous then for the good of the public the legislation can only be fair if it affects the whole subsection in question.

On this occasion theis is not actually my point of view but I thought it needed to be said.

I didn't start driving until I was 32 by the way - never felt the need to - figured if I got a car I'd have to stop drinking. In the past 4 years I have drunk the equivalent of 2 night's worth when I was 21. I miss the beer.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    1986 Suzuki GN250
    I think it depends on the licencing system. At the moment you can get you learners at 15 but without doing courses most people only have their full licenses at 18. It would suck to be a learner at 18 b'cos by then you are away from home and don't really have someone to be the licensed driver/supervisor.

If it was like Austria where you just do 40 hours of lessons then get your full then I'd say 18

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Predominantly the problem is not perceived as being skill or ability but rather attitude and judgement - there are plenty of examples where 15 year olds excel with motorsports but still plenty of accidents caused by the incautious attitude of youngsters.

Scumdogs' mention of the fact that they go ahead and have kids at 16 is quite a good analogy here.

Just coz 16 year olds are good in bed (allegedly) doesn't mean they can do it sensibly!

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big McJim
    Just coz 16 year olds are good in bed (allegedly) doesn't mean they can do it sensibly!
    No they're not, you have to teach 'em everything.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    No they're not, you have to teach 'em everything.
    Nah man - you're just lazy - the teachin's the fun bit!

Bike
    Where I come from the 16 year old girls have been round the block more times than the Link bus.

And they know the root.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover
    Where I come from the 16 year old girls have been round the block more times than the Link bus.

And they know the root.
    No Disrespect Dover but where you come from even the livestock's been round the block more than the bus....I didn't know they had buses where you come from...'cept the post bus eh?

Bike
    Mate, we got two buses a day going to town.

The 8am and the 1pm.

It's only a 5 mile walk to the bus stop too.

Bike
    FZR250/CB100Bucket
    Yep I was about 6yrs old when my Dad let me steer the car up the driveway sitting on his knee. By 10 I was learning to ride his Suzuki 50cc scooter around the house. I had my first car at 14yrs and could drive the thing anywhere. It was a 1953 Ford Prefect. I was the most popular kid on the block!!!! Yes we also tried to do dumb things in these old bombs, but they were slow and solid. I had my first motorbike at 15yrs, which I bought myself , much to my mothers disgust.:
    It is too easy for 15-20 yr olds to buy fast cars these days. They do not have the skills to keep them under control at high speed.
    My suggestion is too limit the cc rating that a young or inexperienced person can buy, own or drive. No modification allowed.
    We have to ride a bike 250cc or less when we first get a bike licence, so why cant they be restricted too.
    Granma.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyG
    I think it depends on the licencing system. At the moment you can get you learners at 15 but without doing courses most people only have their full licenses at 18. It would suck to be a learner at 18 b'cos by then you are away from home and don't really have someone to be the licensed driver/supervisor.

If it was like Austria where you just do 40 hours of lessons then get your full then I'd say 18
    Never got my licence until I was 18 - and then still had no need for it for a while.

And back then you needed 2/3 of full price for hire-purchase on a car (1/2 on a ute) AND if under 21 you needed parental consent for the hire-purchase

Kinda stopped a lot of guys getting into late model fast cars - and more importantl stopped them getting into hock up to their eye-balls at an early age.

And Dover, do any buses ever get back from town?? :spudwhat:
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    got my license within a few days of turning 15 .. first car was a humber .. good size solid, not able to do ridiculous speeds..

part of the issue today is young ppl getting licenses, able to drive sardine cans @ extremely high speeds, then we will not go down the road of peer pressure.

In this day & age with faster lighter vechiles being readily available, lifting the age may be a good thing, however I do not believe that it will reduce the accidents as some mature early others don't .. the ones who don't are the ones who speed, crash, die, or cause others to die ...
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    Never got my licence until I was 18 - and then still had no need for it for a while.

And back then you needed 2/3 of full price for hire-purchase on a car (1/2 on a ute) AND if under 21 you needed parental consent for the hire-purchase

Kinda stopped a lot of guys getting into late model fast cars - and more importantl stopped them getting into hock up to their eye-balls at an early age.

Unless you have parents buying the late model fast cars ... see quite a few of them around !!!! then they modify them even more ...
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Sold
    Look here, the kids are smothered with rules now and it doesn't work.

Take away most of the rules and make "them" more responsible for their actions but make the consequences real and mean something when they fuck up!

Get some consistency into the "justice" system, back the cops policing the law and make the ones who break the rules really pay.

Too much pussy footing around with this PC shit.

When I was a kid, you fucked up, Plod kicked your arse and you knew why.

Sometimes he got it wrong but you had so much respect for him that you just shrugged it off as a bad day.

Too many rules to police and not enough cops to police them just breeds contempt for the law and the poor bastards trying to uphold it.

Not even mentioning the pathetic bloody judges and shifty frigging lawyers!!

That reminds me, bloody ZOWIE is STILL here! this country is getting more pathetic every day! John.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    Kinda stopped a lot of guys getting into late model fast cars:

Oh I don't know, my Superminx could do 85mph....!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Thread Information