View Poll Results: What age before being let loose on our roads

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll

50 31.65%

97 61.39%

11 6.96%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 15 too young for drivers licence?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear
    Oh I don't know, my Superminx could do 85mph....!
    Almost as fast as my 1949 F1 V8 truck!!

And we ARE talking early 70's here aren't we??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    And we ARE talking early 70's here aren't we??

Shhhhhhhh! You'll start them off on the "oldies" thing again!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear
    Oh I don't know, my Superminx could do 85mph....!
    Oh, you scorcher! My Humber 10 could JUST be coaxed to 45mph, down hill, but the experience was too terrifying to repeat. I settled for a sedate 40mph.

Which probably explains the problem today.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Oh, you scorcher! My Humber 10 could JUST be coaxed to 45mph, down hill, but the experience was too terrifying to repeat. I settled for a sedate 40mph.

Which probably explains the problem today.

Yep! Just like my Bradford! Then I stepped up to a CA Bedford which was a rocket at 60mph! Then the Humber 80 which could top 75!!!! My 6/80 Wolseley was a revelation - I could cruise at 75 and wind it off the clock at 95mph! Don't know how we survived such dangerous machines!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    DUCATI ST2,TRIUMPH T595
    I think 15 is a good age to start learning to drive.
    But I think they should be limited to a certain HP rating until there driving record has been proven. A demerit points system clean licence until your 18 and you can step up a grade to full licence.
    Plus some defensive driving courses thrown in.
    For motorcycles or cars.
    The earlier you learn the more experience you will have.
    How many parents teach there kids their A B C's before sending them off to school?. Early learning works.
    Ride on

Bike
    none i want 1

i started driving a cage on my 15th birth day

i started driving a cage on my 15th birth day, got my licence and was on my learners for 1 full year the got my restricted been on that about 8 months, i think as long as you are taught properly it should be fine, i drive with passengers on my r licence i know there is a fine if caught, but i dont care, i drive save, and a 1.5L mitsi nana car most of the time i drive safer with people in the car, i am more allert and carefull with others in the car, sum time when i drive my my self i just drive and dont think and i snap my self out of it as soon a i relise. the onjly problem for nz licence system is that ppl at 15 16 drive 2+L turbo jap crap cares that are not safe and try to show off stupid F*#KERS
    STOP STEALING THE GOVErMENT HATES COMPETION

Bike
    '01 VTR SP1, '92 NSR300, rm125,
    well im 18 and now have full car licence, restricted bike licence, class 2 learners and a defensive drivers cert, i drive for a living, if it was 17 or 18 i would have none of these, depends on imature persons, not all of us are irrosponsible
    zzzzzZZZ

Bike
    Kenetic GF170
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe
    I say put it up to 17 or 18 years old to get their license.

I said it at my table at the SAFE AS workshop in Hamilton, but the rest bombarded me down... (3 were bikers).

I see so many young kids get behind a wheel and they cant even see over the steering wheel, and no they havent put the seat into the lying down postition either.
    So if they cant even see over the steering wheel, how the hell can they even see the road. That is just one example.

Another is they are getting these turbo boosted vehicles and racing around in them. They get in them and they think WOHOOOO I can drive this and I dont care of the consquenceses left behind.

Sure there are one or two that are the exemption (C of CaN) but most do NOT know how to handle these machines.

I got my car license at 17 (closer to 18) and to me that is a better age than 15.
    I got my bike license not long after that.
    I went and got my HT a few years ago.

I even busted my own daughter taking other passengers in her car as they all piled into her car after school... Yep I pulled up behind the car and hauled each and everyone out of the car. Yep My daughter was so pissed off at me... BUT I will not be having to tell the other kids parents that my daughter injured or killed someone else's child. I made each one promise me that they wouldnt get back in that car. They didnt either, I scared the shit out of them.

Was I mean........ NO... I was saving lives... and my daughter sure learnt not to do it again. All kids try it on by carrying other around in the car when they shouldn't.
    A few months later she thanked me for doing it.

Last night as I was in a car and I saw a cop pull over a car full of young girls just past Dairy Flat, what is the bet the driver wasnt meant to be carrying passengers... they were very young looked around 15 or 16.

So I say take it up to 17 or 18.
    No Way!! i dont think they should put it up.. i now have my licence at 15 so it doesnt matter to me.. but i know what it would be like for other people waitin to turn 15 and then having the age limit taken up to 17-18.. i got my licence on my birthday both car n bike.

Thread Information