Thread: Long range 28 litre tank for the DRZ.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Long range 28 litre tank for the DRZ.

Well I finally got around to getting it out of the package, removing the old tank and putting the "safari tank" on the DRZ. Actually went on really easily, after I found out where exactly the old tank was anchored onto the frame. I removed the most bolts I from a trail bike to get the original tank off. New tank cost $600 Aussie dollars including freight. Personally I think it was worth each and every dollar. Went up to the local petrol station with the 7 or so litres from the original tank syphoned into the new tank. Got up there and it took another 30+ dollars more (can't be arsed getting the docket out), even the attendants stopped what they was doing and came and had a look. Also both mentioned that they thought it was the most they have ever seen put into a trail bike as well. Riding the bike, it handles somewhat differently as would be expected. But it would not take much effort to change back to the original tank. Anyhow, I have all of next week off and I intend to bugger off on the DRZ. I know I need to be in Morrinsville on Monday, the rest I will just decide on the direction at the time. Although I have not been up Coromandel since I was a kid. They tell me its all sealed roads up there now, who's friggin stoopid idea was that???
    Pictures are first one, original tank with the new one beside the bike, 2nd is vice versa and the 3rd is a side view. I'm stoked and ready to go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRZ1.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	650.2 KB 
ID:	38821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRZ2.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	38822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRZ3.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	38823  
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Hi

Looks good!
    Huge tank though, you wont have to fill it up for a loooong time

I decided on the 15 litre tank for my XR.

Shame you are off next week and not the following as I am planning pretty much the same thing....lets hope the weather improves for us

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Looks good. 28 litres might be a bit excessive for NZ but hey, nothing exceeds like excess! Is all the gas above the carb or do you need a fuel pump to get it all?

Coromandel aint all sealed. heaps of good gravel still, in a day you can do the 309, & all the way up both sides & back quite easily. It's a good time of the year for a fang up there 'cos the roads are pretty quiet.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by clint640
    Looks good. 28 litres might be a bit excessive for NZ but hey, nothing exceeds like excess! Is all the gas above the carb or do you need a fuel pump to get it all?

Coromandel aint all sealed. heaps of good gravel still, in a day you can do the 309, & all the way up both sides & back quite easily. It's a good time of the year for a fang up there 'cos the roads are pretty quiet.

Cheers
    Clint
    Im definitely going up there then. The fuel tap is actually at the same level as the carb. I guess its just gravity fed. Yea its big, but that was what was on offer and I'd rather have too much fuel rather than not enough and I'm stoked that I no longer need to carry an extra fuel container on the back. Man Im amped for my week off, not even the weather is going to stop me as I have some pretty awesome gear to wear also now.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

You don't have to have it full all the time anyway....but shit that's a big sucker! Big tanks lower the CG and move it forward...all good for handling.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    You don't have to have it full all the time anyway....but shit that's a big sucker! Big tanks lower the CG and move it forward...all good for handling.
    Saves dangling your leg out there now dont it Motu?

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Yea thats what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Might just have to be aware that the frount might slide easier in the loose stuff I imagine. Surorising thing is that with the bigger tank its a easier bike to sit on now as the radiator shrouds went further out than the big tank.

Thread Information