Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Project DR is underway

Bike
    Diamondback.
    More pictures due tomorrow, I didn't work on it last night, instead had a night off, seeing as I had been working on it for 6 days straight. I may have found the parts I need, I'll will know this afternoon.
    Hopefully the painting I have done so far will be dry enough to clear coat, and then I can polish the forks up, and get the front end back together tonight.
    Homer you shot the zombie Flanders !
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Bah, silly visitors meant I got sod all work done on the bike. I did sneak away for half an hour, and made a buffing wheel, and autosol'd the death out of one of the forks very quickly, and hells bells did it come up good, and that was just a quick buff, I can't wait to see how good they look with a proper polish up.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    CR250
    Everytime I read this I get inspired to do some work on my bike, but then I think.... yeah I'll do it later.......

Bike
    Diamondback.
    I'm fully addicted to the project, it's all I want to do. I had school variety concert last night for my son in the juniors, that went till 8.30, and tonight my daughter in the middle syndicate has hers, and Friday, I have to go represent my company at the bloody Contractors Federation dinner, so I have 3 damn nights this week that I can't do anything on the bike, and I'm suffering !!!.

Looks like the weekened is going to be when I get everything done now. I finished polishing up one fork last night,, had to get all the oxide off with some wet and dry, then got the buffing wheel, and Autosol onto it, and now it looks damn near new. That was a massive 15 minite job :P .

I have had to do some serious alterations to the airbox. The damn thing had 3 extra intakes added to it, and they were all really badly done, and all caused water to leak past the hoses they has used, and pool water in the bottom of the airbox, which explains a bit of misbehaving in the engine dept when going thru lots of water, or deep water.
    I have plugged and welded all extra inlets bar one, which I used a highly flexible polymer sealant to seal up, and I will paint the whole airbox, hopefully tonight, if I can sneak 15 mins of time before the concert.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Just to break the monotony of my boring resto', here is what bikes are to me these days. Not far over the Maungatapu track , you hit a wee valley, off which is this little river, that runs crystal clear all the way down to Pelorus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	klx.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	39477  
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    Hey Kro I admire your dedication,
    Keep the hard work up
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Thanks Ivan.

Due to my sister in law turning into a raving psychopath, I have not done very much work on the bike this weekend, and in the interests of family safety, I have shipped my wife and children off to blenheim, and they have the digital camera with them. DOH. I reassembled the forks, and they look fantastic after a buff up, and paint. I have the rear suspension side of things looking pretty damn sweet too. I will try get another camera to use.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Just a couple of quick photos showing the near finished front end, and a couple of the rear suspension components, like the pivot, and A-arm.
    Note the lovely shiny forks, I love Autosol, I wonder if it would make good toothpaste?. Sorry bout the crappy quality pics, I am using a 70 dollar dicksmith special at the moment.

I am undecided about the blue anodising effect paint. I have baked it on, and clear coated it, but time will tell I guess. Basically, every nut, bolt, washer, bracket etc is all being polished painted, or clear coated, so it will look a million bucks when it's finished, then I'll go get it dirty.

Bought all new rear wheel bearings today, the fronts had been done recently, but the backs were worse than i thought. I have updated my costs so far list in my original post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	39718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	39719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	39720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	39721  
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    what did you use to strip back the frame. Got me a couple of ag100's that i'm rebuilding and would be keen to know how you did it / how long it took?
    Lump lingered last in line for brains,
    And the ones she got were sort of rotten and insane...

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Quickest way is to get one of those flexible paint stripper wheels, the spend 10 mins going over most of the major surfaces, but only to scuff them up, then spray the whole thing with paint stripper, leave for half an hour, hose of very quickly, then use the stripping wheel to get rid of the stuff that the paint stripper aerosol didn't move. I was surprised how easy it was.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    CR250
    Man that is incredible how well that all came up! I can;t wait to do project RM!!!!

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Great work kro.

She's looking mint. I'm definitely taking note. Love my bike. HATE the painted white frame. Might be my winter project next year.

Looking forward to the next update.

*damn between this thread and sprokets' carbon thread I'm learning shitloads*

EDIT: Oh, and I think the blue looks Hawt.
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Thanks troops, there should be another few pics today, I'm getting my better camera back, and will take photos of the frame this afternoon, and the front wheel/hub assembly all back togther, and looking sparkly.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    The garage is now full
    Well I must say I am impressed what you can do with care and love and a side order of fanatical devotion. It should look amazing when finished. I particurlarly like that blue paint. Where did you say you got it from?

I have been doing up an old KDX myself which I just got started on the weekend so know how much work can go into tidying up an old beast and I sure did not bother with making mine look pretty. Be careful of the restorers trap many fall into. You do it up so well its near perfect them become scared to use it in case you break/scratch it. Its an easy trap to fall into. Been there done that.
    But hey, enjoy yourself, I am looking forward to seeing more pictures
    Well done
    I'm one of the worlds best riders. I can wheelie, I can stoppie, I can stunt, hell I can get my shoulder down. I could keep up with Rossie if I wanted to race.

Then I go from bed to bike and somehow it all turns to crap.

Bike
    Diamondback.
    PZR, the blue anodising effect paint is sold at both Supercheap, and Repco, it's called Duplicolor Metalcast. You can get alloy color, purple, green and blue (I think)

Thanks for the comments troops, but to the horror of some of you, this bike will get ridden, and will get hell filthy again, but at least I know she's fully rebuilt, and everything on it works as it should, and has been replaced/revamped. I will be taking approx a hundred photo's during the whole project, and plenty more after the last item is bolted back on, and she's fired up for the first time.
    He was a Zombie?

Thread Information