Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Project DR is underway

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Sorry, I am still using that shit-box cheapo camera, so most of these photo's look poos. Pretty self explanatory, the frame has had its second coat, and it's gonna get a couple of clears, more as a sacrificial coating thatn anything to do with looking fancy-schmancy. Frame is a dark grey colour, it looks quite lioght in the photo, but it's not.

Front wheel looks better in the flesh than in the photo, bear in mind, I ma yet to autosol the rims, then the whole rig will cease looking good, and start looking fantastique.

Foot note, if you look hard at the frame as a whole in the 2nd frame pic, it looks like a metal sculpture, of a guy doing a girl doggy style, I just noticed it, how trippy is that shit?.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	39774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	39775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	39776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	39777  
    Homer you shot the zombie Flanders !
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Quick question to you bike experts, the little studs that hold the sprocket to the rear hub assembly are shagged, can I just replace them with Stainless, or Hi-Tens bolts and nuts?. The studs have a distinctive shaped head, but it looks like I could jam some aftermarket ones in there.

Looks like I may have to do a new rear sprocket, but do they give you new "bend-over" tabs for locking the sprockets nuts in place when you get a new rear sprocket?. Theres 3 of them, and mine are pretty rotten, I could restore them, but they would most likely fatigue when re-set.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Just to say you are doing an awesome job and I will be interested to see pics when it's finished. Well done!!
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Thanks Mazz.

I have done a little bit tonight, like polishing the rear hub thingy that the rear sprocket bolts onto, and slotting in all the new bearings, and prepping the rear wheel to be ready to paint.

I have done one frame mod, that I thought I would bore you all with, its a minor mod, but will create a major difference to the appearance of the bike. The little guard mounting tab on the rear grab rail drops down 30mm, and makes the rear guard sit down quite low, as is the way with the old DR's, but by cutting it off, and remaking a new tab that runs flush off the frame, and raises that particular mount point 30mm higher, making the guard raise up higher, and look a lot more motocrossy, and less agricultural

See attached pic to see what the crap I am rabbitting on about.

Name:	frame copy.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	807.3 KB 
ID:	39927  
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    I am also replacing all mild steel bolts with stainless steel ones, and polishing the death out of them as I replace them. All fasteners bar the critical engine ones will be done this way. The effect is quite spectacular, as even the smallest change made has a big impact on the appearance of the bike. The ones holding the fork clamps in place look awesome, I will try take some close up pics to sow the change. The small details really make the difference.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Looking Good!

Be a bit careful about using stainless fasteners though. They fatigue & break pretty easy so don't use 'em for important stuff that might flex a bit like the subframe & footpeg mounts. See if you can get some cad-plated 8.8's instead.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Thanks Clint, I will only use em where they are appropriate, I am going to shove some aftermarket hi-tens ones on the new rear sprocket, I don't think my original ones can go another round, they are pretty far gone. I am just using the SS bolts for stuff like airbox mounts, fork clamps, and just general fastenings, and will make sure I use the right stuff on the critical points. Thanks again.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Right, the weekend is upon us, I can hopefully pack some quality hours into this bike, and get a good quantity of progress pics ups, for those who are actually enjoying listening to me dribble about an old Suzuki. I am heading out in 5 to try find some new hi-tensile bolts for my rear sprocket.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by kro View Post
    ... for those who are actually enjoying listening to me dribble about an old Suzuki ...
    Yep, keep up the good work, I'm enjoying the read.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Ok, did more painting than anything, and you've already seen the pics of those items, I just final coated and clear coated some stuff.

1st pic is rear brake hub assembly, with freshly painted lever-arm.

2nd pic is the rear hub assembly, that normally has the sprocket attached to it, I had paint stipped it, and buffed it up a wee bit with my favouritest thing of all time... Autosol.

3rd pic is same thing again, but looking sexier again.

4th pic is complete hub assembly, with new wheel bearing, sprocket, 6 new 8.8 hi-tens bolts, with stainless washers, and nylock nuts.

Tomorrow should see some before and after photos of the swingarm, or at the very least, the shock, which is gonna buff up real nice, and I'm gonna be a cowboy, and paint the spring yellow, coz then it will look like an Ohlins unit, and the world will all say "oooh ahh, he has a quality shock on that bike", then I'll wake up in a sweat and realise I'm a sad bastard with an old slow bike.

Name:	PDR6 011.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	40045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR6 020.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	40046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR6 021.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	40047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR6 027.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	40048  
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Update time, frame is now clear coated, and thus i may start bolting shit back onto it. As stated, this is a "poor mans resto'", so I made my own chain rollers, rather than spending 50 bux on shop ones.

1st pic, you can see the little blue chain rollers, all brand spanking new. I used ordinary old medium density polythene pipe, which is incredibly wear resistant, and cost me nothing.

2nd pic Is that a thing of beauty or what?.. 5 mins with the buffing wheel, and a smidgen of autosol, and whammo, you can see yourself in that bastard, it's that damn shiny.

3rd pic Rear wheel, with the rim and spoke nipples masked off, all painted and clear coated. This came up trumps imo, and I'm happy with the result.

4th pic Shock spring.... I wussed out on the yellow, simply because I was going to have too much colour in the bike, and yellow fades quick, and shows all the grease and gunk too easily. This is a very heavy duty enamel, and will be baked on, to make it extra tough.

More to come, but later this arvo

Name:	PDR7 012.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	40103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR7 003.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	40104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR7 018.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	387.5 KB 
ID:	40105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDR7 016.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	414.8 KB 
ID:	40106  
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Great work Kro.

What I need to know is how hard the strip down is? Really not liking my white frame, so weighing up some options. Pulling things apart is easy. Putting it all back together though, that scares me.

Took my first baby steps today and stripped off the plastics. Pulled the seat, and flipped the tank. Purpose was getting part numbers, but it was a good chance to look up close at different bits. Besides the engine pulling, the scarest part will be the electronics. Hell there not even a lot (for a modern bike) but still a worry as to how I'd get it back together.

It's got to be the one downside of going the way of a rare bike. No haynes manual.

Looking forward to seeing your rebuilt. If I can make a request it'd be lots and lots of pics and detailed step by step write up.
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    Diamondback.
    To be honest Lemur, I am pretty rookie at this, the trail bike is a much easier beast to strip and rebuild than a road bike. I armed myself with a roll of masking tape, and a felt pen, and labelled everything as it came off the bike, so I knew what every nut. bolt, washer, and bracket did.

You'd be very very surprised just how quick you can pull a bike to bits, after the tank and seat come off, things just seem to fall off the bike so easy. If you are only going for a frame re-spray, that will be easy as pie to do, because you you can just take the front end off in one hit, then the swingarm in one hit, undo the CDI/electrics, and undo a couple of shock pivots/mounts, and you'll be damn near fully stripped to bare frame, it could be as quick as 30 mins all up.

I was shite scared of messing with the wiring, and all that jazz, but I unplugged 2 plugs, and took 2 ten mil bolts off the coil, and the electrics were done, and dangling in my hand.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    See if you can get some cad-plated 8.8's instead.
    Suggestion noted, and acted on, new hi-tensile 8.8's on the bike as we speak. Thanks for the tip dude.
    He was a Zombie?

Bike
    Diamondback.
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    How about Metalic Dark Grey, like the current DR's?
    Suggestion noted, and used. I got the darkest grey I could, but couldn't get a metallic. The frame looks fantastic, although my shite-box digicam makes it look really light in colour, but it's actually quite dark. Thanks for the help in deciding on the colour.
    He was a Zombie?

Thread Information