Thread: Me and my bikes big day out!

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries

Talking Me and my bikes big day out!

Well, just got back in from an extended riding session today - I went over and bothered Dover about boltholing, he looked the usual worse for the wear (hard night on the turps). His advice "don't let any cagers f**k you up!" basically! Good advice and would come back to haunt me later!

Once I managed to leave Dover's place with nothing violated (he had designs on another newbie buying a two-fiddy in town), I rode back to the place where I binned - trying to find the right boot toe slider which I had lost! Nought but nought and with a casual shrug of the shoulders I rode out to Kawakawa and blatted around - then I couldn't stop so I rode off to Orere Point. Here was another learning experience...

I crossed over the centre line trying to negotiate a tight uphill left-right S-bend. Thank gawd no cager was coming around then. I realised I needed to button off more speed ... and do the following better...

Slow
    Look
    Lean
    Roll on throttle

More fluently. Damn. Anyhows I pootled off from Orere around Takanini to Botany where I checked out the Honda franchise in Trugood Ave. Drooled over the showroom models and was gobsmacked by the prices for clobber. Realised I had to make a 12.30 kick off back at school. I was confident heading into busy traffic, but nervous about the head checks when I had to look back when I was changing lanes.

From Botany I zoomed back to Takanini to watch Alfriston College beat James Cook High 11-5 in their semi-final rugby game. With consummate ease I guided out my lean machine and impressed the lads with loud revs and took off to Manukau.

I practised riding in the busy carpark and over all the bumps and avoiding peds. Took a look around the mall and bought some wargaming soldiers from Toyworld and enquired about the PS3. Took a look at the PS2 Trophy Turismo but passed on buying it then (wait till trademe!). $1200 for PS3... hmmm, will have to wait.

From there, I took the long way back home to Takanini when I was coming down from Roscommon into Mahia road I "ran" into Dover's advice.

An ignorant female cager pulled out from a side road without noticing me. I had already flashed my lights since I saw she looked a bit out of it and pulled over more to the left. I changed gears down rapidly.

Horn. Lots of it. Brake. And lots of it.

I swerved to the left and she still kept coming on! I gave the throttle heaps and swerved more - only about a foot left to the curb (anyone who've ridden down the new subdivision in Mahia road knows how wide those roads are!).

Blatted on by and had Dover's words ringing in my ears. "Don't let cagers f**k you up!". She pulled over and I felt like doing a U-turn and having a few words with her, but decided to let my Hornet keep doing what it likes best. Going forwards fast!

Nice to be typing this all safe and sound from my computer! Hope everyones rides went as well and safely today! I love my two wheels of freedom!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Good skills. There is nothing that will save your bacon better than keeping a sharp lookout.
    Time to ride

Bike
    nein
    Awesome stuff gijoe! Pity about the cager, but suppose it's something to keep ya vigilent if nothing else.

Me and my bike had our first big day out too, Fubar came over round 2 and we blated around some back roads in swanson and eventually went up the scenic drive to my sister's place and back again. Hell of a good ride, got to see some other bikers and nods were exchanged Found my bike sounds pretty sexy wound up too! Good ride, no real mishaps other then my horrible low speed clutch control, but once i'm going things are pretty sweet.

Nothing quite like leaning through corners and opening it up on the straights xD

Still buzzing!

Bike
    a bruised CBR600 F4i
    grats man, gotta have you wits about you ahy, don't wana see a fantastic hon-rod messed up or its rider for that matter :Big Grin: Make the most of the freedom man, its amazing, we are part of a very specail way to get around.
    It is only when we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Sounds as though you're still pretty enthused with your purchase - definately cool it on the corners though because crossing the middle against your volition is not a good idea as you don't get to roll 5 on 2D6 to save (you'll know what I mean - thousands wouldn't!) and having 4 cyclinders on a learner licence is all very well but it doesn't add +2 to your armour.

Crashing head on into a cage will feel like a direct hit from an 'Eldar D cannon' so keep practicing in car parks, wide quiet roads and do as Dover says.

When are you gonna join the rest of us Eastern 250s for a run?
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
    Awesome stuff gijoe! Pity about the cager, but suppose it's something to keep ya vigilent if nothing else.

Me and my bike had our first big day out too, Fubar came over round 2 and we blated around some back roads in swanson and eventually went up the scenic drive to my sister's place and back again. Hell of a good ride, got to see some other bikers and nods were exchanged Found my bike sounds pretty sexy wound up too! Good ride, no real mishaps other then my horrible low speed clutch control, but once i'm going things are pretty sweet.

Nothing quite like leaning through corners and opening it up on the straights xD

Still buzzing!
    Quote Originally Posted by toymachine View Post

Still buzzing!
    I hear ya, I hear ya and we both (and anyone else that has two wheels of freedom) know that sweeeet feeling. I'm just trying to make sure I have the proper technique and know-how to ensure that I'm a safe and efficient rider! With the aim of getting out onto a race track day and do some blatting legally and (relatively) safely (no drugged/spaced out cagers!).

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by _intense_ View Post
    grats man, gotta have you wits about you ahy, don't wana see a fantastic hon-rod messed up or its rider for that matter :Big Grin: Make the most of the freedom man, its amazing, we are part of a very specail way to get around.
    Fer shure, fer shure! And yeah, true dat - always gotta have your biker sixth sense (use the force!). Sweet ride you got there! Hope I get a chance to ride one of them someday!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big McJim View Post
    Sounds as though you're still pretty enthused with your purchase - definately cool it on the corners though because crossing the middle against your volition is not a good idea as you don't get to roll 5 on 2D6 to save (you'll know what I mean - thousands wouldn't!) and having 4 cyclinders on a learner licence is all very well but it doesn't add +2 to your armour.

Crashing head on into a cage will feel like a direct hit from an 'Eldar D cannon' so keep practicing in car parks, wide quiet roads and do as Dover says.

When are you gonna join the rest of us Eastern 250s for a run?
    I figgered someone would start pulling out the reference to my other escape from reality clause!

I would love to wear gromril with runes of fortitude but I guess my scout armour will have to do! I think I'm doomed to the IG cardboard 5+ save! My difficult terrain rolls need to include another die or two to ensure I get the additional movement to get me outta trouble!

Yeah, I guess I should set up the tabletop to have clear lines of fire and no intervening terrain. Also cut rolling on random encounters would help. Definitely no rolling on "Large immovable objects/Large moving objects/Slippery Terrain/Cage idiots" table would help to!

Hmmm...the only prob with two wheels of freedom is the lack of space to carry my armies! Mebbe I should just field a termie army so only have to carry 25 minis

No apologies to those I've confoozled out there~those who know, understand!

As for joining you on a run - the sooner the better! Any excuse to ride my bike out!
    Last edited by gijoe1313; 19th August 2006 at 23:14. Reason: Doh! Need to read the rest of response!

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Games Workshop produced a neat little Imperial Space Marine Vincent Black Shadow sidecar combo some years back - that's one way to merge your hobbies.

Look into getting a decent sized Givi or similar box on a carrier - that way you should be able to carry a decent amount of minatures.

I haven't played 40K for about 10 years tho'.

I used to have a Warhammer Fantasy Chaos Army and started dabbling in Space Marines until I found out they were shit and wished I'd gone with Eldar. Then GW brought out Chaos Space Marines. In the end it all got too commercial (I remember the heady days before GW had a monopoly and there was no such thing as a plastic base.) and I gave it up.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    yeah I hear ya, way too many $$'s now when I can be spending it on my ride! Besides, I've got 2 years backlog of unmade and unpainted minis waiting for me (typical syndrome!).

I'm more of a modeller but I try to fit in games when and where I can!

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Sounds like a good day out

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    An ignorant female cager pulled out from a side road without noticing me. I had already flashed my lights since I saw she looked a bit out of it and pulled over more to the left.
    I'd be careful about flashing my lights as a 'warning'. It could easily be misinterpreted as 'I'm letting you in, go for it'. Obviously I wasn't there, so the context may have changed things.

I'm sure I've read that in some official document, too - don't think it was the Road Code, but something like that.

Richard

Thread Information