Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike-to-bike intercoms

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    We had a customer in the other day who uses bone mikes on military comms systems he makes. No extraneous noise, no mike rubbing on your chin, the perfect answer at around $900 each.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

UNiden units

I got the following reply from an enquiry on the Uniden website re their intercom options.
    hank you for visiting our website and using the web request form.

We are currently developing the BH-041 bike helmet microphones that will fit out handheld PRS units that will enable communication between motorcycles. These units are not available in New Zealand, but we are expecting them in to be released in October.
    Kind Regards
    Christina Hopovihi

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruralman View Post
    I got the following reply from an enquiry on the Uniden website re their intercom options.
    hank you for visiting our website and using the web request form.

We are currently developing the BH-041 bike helmet microphones that will fit out handheld PRS units that will enable communication between motorcycles. These units are not available in New Zealand, but we are expecting them in to be released in October.
    Kind Regards
    Christina Hopovihi
    That sounds promising!!
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    2017 GSXR 750
    what we need is a freq that is just for bikes ... then we could all talk to each other ... don't know where i'd mount the cb unit tho ... and the massive atenna would just look ugly .. lol .. could be cool tho ... tooling up the north western and letting everyone know theres a cop on the left under an overpass ... hmmmm ...

Bike
    2007 Suzuki AN 650 Exec
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
    These are fantastic bits of kit: http://www.autocom.co.uk/
    I concur, these are excellent, well worth the money.

If you are considering an intercom then noise cancelling microphones are a must.

Bike
    None any more
    I get really annoyed by the material that most of these audio kit manufacturers produce.

All they show is a photo of a black box, either clear-cut or positioned somehow in a bike.

But how do you use the fucking things? The walkie talkie isn't part of it. Where does it go? A walkie talkie (unless it is VOX activated, dumb idea) needs a PTT button. What does that look like? How is it fitted? How does it connect to the black box and rider's helmet? What sort of walkie talkie do you need? What cabling is required, given that any accessory, radios included, don't have standard connectors.

To talk, you need a microphone. The microphones are on "booms" and "velcro" into your helmet. How does that work, particularly given that riders have to put helmets on and take them off. Frequently. How does the boom microphone work if there is limited room in the front of a full-face helmet? Does the boom get stuck in your mouth? Does the little foam doohickey (TM) rub irritatingly against one's nose or chin? Does it grind a furrow in one's forehead when one dons or removes one's helmet?

There are probably good answers to all of these questions, but they are rarely provided by the manufacturers of these magic boxes or by the people who review them. Rant over.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    I get really annoyed by the material that most of these audio kit manufacturers produce.

All they show is a photo of a black box, either clear-cut or positioned somehow in a bike.

But how do you use the fucking things? The walkie talkie isn't part of it. Where does it go? A walkie talkie (unless it is VOX activated, dumb idea) needs a PTT button. What does that look like? How is it fitted? How does it connect to the black box and rider's helmet? What sort of walkie talkie do you need? What cabling is required, given that any accessory, radios included, don't have standard connectors.

To talk, you need a microphone. The microphones are on "booms" and "velcro" into your helmet. How does that work, particularly given that riders have to put helmets on and take them off. Frequently. How does the boom microphone work if there is limited room in the front of a full-face helmet? Does the boom get stuck in your mouth? Does the little foam doohickey (TM) rub irritatingly against one's nose or chin? Does it grind a furrow in one's forehead when one dons or removes one's helmet?

There are probably good answers to all of these questions, but they are rarely provided by the manufacturers of these magic boxes or by the people who review them. Rant over.
    Bloody well said Hitcher - I'm interested in these things and also various radar detectors which includes the battery powered Bel 946 - you can get reviews saying they work OK, you can get pictures showing all the parts including earpiece, a deflector so youcan put the unit in your pocket etc etc but no pictures or diagrams showing how these things fit on/in your helmet - ie how it bloody works in practise. I put a post under the product review section hoping someone who had used one of these could comment but no one has yet.
    With the number of bikers using this site the webmaster should be able to charge manufacturers for someone to do reviews and post them here.

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Well ranted Hitcher....I too find it a tad frustrating at the total lack of information about these gadgets.

Hubby & I would something but not wanting to spend a fortune. But don't want to spend anything only to find it doesn't quite work in a practical way.
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    top marks Hitcher.

It seems that since I thought about this intercom idea people are saying "tell me everything you *don't* know about it and I will fill in the blanks"

I dont know what PTT means. I don't know what is required to get a walkie talkie radio setup. i thought I would just be able to shell out the dollars and get a kit that I plug in and it works. Then I find out that the radio is different to the headset and I am just more and more confused. So much so that it prompts me to revert back to the old age wave and pull over if you have something to say.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    I dont know what PTT means.
    Sorry for lapsing to jargon. PTT = push to talk. The button that needs to attach in proximity to a handgrip, preferably the left-hand one. Mounting can be problematic, given that handgrips are usually festooned with a myriad of switches for headlight flashers, horn, indicators, screen height... And you don't want anything inhibiting the smooth and seamless operation of the clutch lever.

Just show me a photo of a black box with green buttons and writing on it.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Hopefully Uniden have some bikers involved in the development of their system so that it does work for us without the hassles you have highlighted

Bike
    GL1800
    Good on ya Hitcher! lol, BTW (by the way) VOX = Voice Operated Transmission, in other words, when you start speaking, the microphone switches on, but as Hitcher alluded, wind noise means this is generally impractical on a moving sickle............. Good Thread!

Bike
    1975 Suzuki RE5
    Hi yep thats why I asked the question on this site. None of the info on the manufacturers sites is clear especially the Pinfolds one and I dont want to pay the money to find out the system doesnt work. I dont like the idea of velcroed in speakers I thought something like an earplug type would be better. Looks like another season will go by without an intercom unless I can get a recommendation from someone that uses one or the manufacturers get their act together. Terry

Bike
    None any more
    Pinfolds' velcroed helmet speakers are the best part of their kit. They're unobstrusive and work very well -- even with earplugs in. If there is room between one's mouth and the front of a fullface helmet, then their microphones work well too. If there is any opportunity for friction -- either taking a helmet on or off, or wind buffett from one's lips or moustache, then the little foam fernanguling cover on the microphone doesn't last too long.

Pinfolds' PTT system is a bit of a handful (literally) -- it has to be wrapped around the LH handgrip. This means the button itself has to sit underneath so it doesn't get crushed by the clutch, meaning you have to use your third or fourth finger to operate it. If there is any clear space on the switch clamp, cut off the velcro tape and stick it in place with velcro dots. It works much better that way (until the contacts in the switch fail, or the connector plugs die, whichever comes first).

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    A friend of mine runs Uniden so if you want any of their products, let me know.

Dover and I discussed getting bike to bike communication but I couldn't find a unit that would transmit around 10 k's which is the average distance he lags behind. Thinking satellite might be the go but they don't work in bushes.

Thread Information